MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: First Impressions of Redding Big Boss 2

Boolit Buddy

First Impressions of Redding Big Boss 2

I just unpacked and bolted down a Redding Big Boss 2
    Here are some of my first impressions
    For comparison sake I’ll compare it to my other single stage a RCBS Rockchucker Supreme

Fit and finish
    Nice finish not as smooth as the Rockchuker though
    Both seem high quality

Bolt down holes
    3 holes on the Redding as compared to 2 half slots on the RCBS. Both can be plenty secured

Lever stroke
    I was sort of stunned how tight and hard the Redding was until I loosened the bottom linkage nuts a bit.
    The only unsized cases I had were 44 magnum. I resized about 40 on each press using the same RCBS die.
    The Redding seems to take more force to do the job. However feel could be subjective and also a product of the slightly different ergonomics of the handle

The big Boss handle starting point is almost straight up and paralell to the press frame a few inches in front.. The RCBS handle starting point is more even with the shell plate and goes out ward. It isn’t a 90 degree from horizontal like the Redding but more like about 70-60 degrees. That feels more comfortable to me having my arm farther away from the press centerline if that makes sense.

The Rock chucker definitely seems smoother to me

Frame openings
    The opening on both of the presses are large. But the Reddings is bigger. Both have openings 4.5 inches high. But the But the Big Boss opening is is 3.5 inches wide and the RCBS is about 3 inches.

The same die had to be screwed about a ¼ inch farther on the Redding due to the top of the frame being that much thicker than the RCBS

The frame opening on the Redding is canted to the right giving a very large access to the shell holder on the left side of the press. The RCBS frame has no cant and is more friendly to someone who wants to work from either side. Not only that the handle has two different holes in the lower linkage it can be screwed into. This makes it easy for right or left handers to find a comfort zone.

Priming
    I didn,t prime with either system yet . The only press mounted priming I use is on my Dillon.
    Both companies offer some different priming systems

Spent primers
    No comparison. The Redding system is a 10. Every spent primer ends up in a plastic tube attached to the ram. This is the part of the Rockchucker I hated . I had to wedge a piece of cardboard behind the primer catch cup so it would be closer to the ram so I could catch most of them. I would spill them when trying to remove the cup. Primer ash and gunk was all over the press and I was constantly cleaning up. To me it is the biggest and only shortcoming of the Rockchucker.

Cost
    Neither are cheap presses. But you can get a Rockchucker for about 25-30 bucks less most of the time.
    Both companies give lifetime warranties on their presses. And both are known for great customer service.

Both good presses. It might seem I favor the RCBS at this point because of its smoothness and ergonomics of its handle. Its just because Im so familiar with its feel . I really havent reloaded on the Redding yet. But Im looking forward to it.

I personally don't like that the top of the link arms are hung from an unsupported protrusion, stud if you will.
    The design of the rc makes more sense to me. Even the Lee classic cast got that right. (which looks to be a fine
    press for the money) With that said: Fit and finish on the redding stuff is usually top notch.