Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: How much lube to actually buy

Boolit Buddy

How much lube to actually buy

First time purchasing lube so i was wondering how much should i buy the first time as a test run to attempt to do about 50 booliets in a 9 inch cake pan. Would a few sticks do it? Should i buy a full pound.

If you are buying a quality, proven lube, buy at least a pound because shipping will be an issue. You will use it one way or another. If you are lubing handgun boolits almost any commercial lube will work. If you are lubing rifle boolits, there are probably a few that will meet your needs better than others. When I was pan lubing, the consistency of the lube was more of a factor in how well it worked in the pan, not the barrel. They all worked well in the barrel. I ended up adding stuff to make it stickier, less sticky, harder, softer, etc. to help in the pan lube process.

Since you are new to lubing, if you are doing handgun boolits, look into 45/45/10 using a blow dryer to heat up the boolits. Your bottleneck of time will shift away from lubing and towards another step in the whole process. I think Lars is now selling what would be a lifetime supply for a great price.

Good luck

Banned

if you are just gonna do a small test run then a lid from a jar will 15-20 boolits at a time.
    one stick will be enough in that situation.
    it's not too hard to modify a lube with a little vaseline to make it softer and easier to deal with as a pan lube.

Banned

Buy lube. I do not understand this.

Gear

Moderator Emeritus

Glenn at white label lubes has send 1/3 stick samples out for free, I don't know if he still does or not???
    but a 1/3" of a stick is more than enough to lube 50 boolits, you might need to use a tunafish can instead of a 9" cake pan though.

But as mentioned, if you buy a tried and true lube from a vendor here, you can't go wrong, it'll always work with some load, and if it don't work for you, someone here will not doubt swap with you. Just buy a pound, it's so cheap.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

White label lubes will ship you samples if you pay the shipping. I think this is fair and a great option. I bit the bullet and picked 2500+ as it looked like the best option for me. So far it's worked great with every bullet/firearm option I've tried.

Well the bigger the pan the more luube you need to fill it. A stick is 2oz, in my luber/sizer I can get 1000+ bullets out of a stick. It doesn't go bad, order up.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Buy lube. I do not understand this.

Gear
    Some people buy their lube Gear, I know it sounds weird, but they do.

MrBlue, you could make your own. Check out the lube recipe and thread for the Simple Green Lube here ------------------------------> http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...73-simple-lube

I have had good luck with it, with pan lubing.
    One of the greatist delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation.- Thomas Reed (1886)
    "The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give it to those who would not."-Thomas Jefferson

Banned

if anybody has any range results or updates or whatever to the simple lube i'd appreciate it being added into the thread.
    the stuff must work pretty well we only had to make one modification for a certain rifle.
    the addition and discussion that comes in later in the thread, will help you understand how to read a rifles load/alloy ballance and when to modify a lube for better performance.
    threads do wander a bit and sometimes good information gets buried.