RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NOE vs Accurate Molds

Boolit Master

Bringing this thread back from the dead.

About a year ago I started to get serious about bullet designs for my rifles and have been buying from both NOE and Accurate. I give Accurate the edge as I'm not limited by what is currently in stock or design. The last 2 molds I ordered from Tom were tweaked designs and I received them in less than 2 weeks. The ability to have cavities cut to your individual needs and desires without breaking the bank is priceless.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    I am new to the game of these various mold makers. Having used Lee and Lymans for many years, that is what I was accustomed to. I decided to take the plunge starting with 38/357. I went with NOE, a 360-158 that I drooled over for months before I got time to use it. In the meantime I picked up a nice RCBS 2 cavity 358-150 on this site. I did a little research on who could make a replica of the RCBS mold. Arsenal makes one already, I contacted MP and Accurate via email to find out more. MP got right back with a question which I promptly answered. Never heard from Accurate.

I tested four loads last night and unfortunately, the new NOE I was so hopeful for disappointed me. It lagged far behind the RCBS, Lee TL and even am old Lyman 357446, not known for accuracy. I emailed Al at NOE for some possible solutions.

I am not interested in purchasing molds until I find one that works. As far as service, when I ordered from NOE, it arrived quickly and he even gave me a discount that came on after I ordered.
    Last edited by Huskerguy; 04-25-2020 at 03:04 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerguy View Post
    I am new to the game of these mold makers. Having used Lee and Lymans for many years. I decided to take the plunge starting with 38/357. I went with NOE, a 360-158 that I drooled over for months before I got time to use it. In the meantime I picked up a nice RCBS 2 cavity 358-150. I did a little research on who could make a replica of the RCBS mold. Arsenal makes one already, I contacted MP and Accurate vis email. MP got right back with a question which promptly answered. Never heard from Accurate. I tested four loads last night and unfortunately, the new NOE I was so hopefull for disappointed me. It lagged far behind the RCBS, Lee TL and even am old Lan not known for accuracy. I emailed Al at NOE for some possible solutions.

I am not interested in purchasing molds until I find one that works. As far as service, when I ordered from NOE, it arrived quickly and he even gave me a discount that came on after I ordered.
    If this the mould you purchased 360-158-SWC-AT3-61. It doesn't work very well in S&W or the old Tarsus (S&W). I can make it work out of a Ruger but the RCBS or SACEO are better.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Accurate has a leg up over NOE - Tom will cut you a mold from your design - a provided diagram or send him the bullet.
    Turn around is usually 1 -2 weeks and then the design goes in his production inventory
    This service is not provided by NOE
    Tom has cloned several BPCR molds from bullets or diagrams I've sent him for 'rare out of production' molds
    Example: There are only about 3 of us in the US that have a Schuetzen rifle for an 8.15x46 caliber designed in 1880 and lasted for 20 years. On the ASSRA forum,a member has an antique German catalog with the exact diagram of the bullet. I sent Tom the diagram and the mold was at my door step in one week. I found the last remaining brass for the caliber and now an exact clone resurrected a rifle otherwise would have been a safe queen
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    If this the mould you purchased 360-158-SWC-AT3-61. It doesn't work very well in S&W or the old Tarsus (S&W). I can make it work out of a Ruger but the RCBS or SACEO are better.
    Mine doesn't have any other numbers besides the 360-158 SWC but I looked it up on the NOE site and that is the same mold. It is the aluminum 4 cavity. The mold works great but I was really disappointed when I started testing loads last night. I was shooting four different bullets, all with the same charge and prep and I was consistently in the black off a rest at 50' with the exception of the NOE. I guess I could say it was consistent - to the right, low and spread out, never a group at all. I do have a Ruger, a Colt and some Dan's as well but I am not going to pursue a bullet that does not shoot in my Smiths. I notice on the web site it is listed as a good bullet for 357, it may need to be pushed harder, that is what I am trying to find out from NOE. It is also supposed to be a H & G clone.

What I originally asked MP and Accurate about were copies of the Lyman 358156, the venerable SWC that is noted for accuracy and hard hitting. MP said he thought he had some that were not in his catalog.

Arsenal shows the RCBS copy which I am considering now. I really didn't want an entire collection of bullet molds to fit every need or gun but...........

Boolit Master

Mine doesn't have any other numbers besides the 360-158 SWC but I looked it up on the NOE site and that is the same mold. It is the aluminum 4 cavity. The mold works great but I was really disappointed when I started testing loads last night. I was shooting four different bullets, all with the same charge and prep and I was consistently in the black off a rest at 50' with the exception of the NOE. I guess I could say it was consistent - to the right, low and spread out, never a group at all. I do have a Ruger, a Colt and some Dan's as well but I am not going to pursue a bullet that does not shoot in my Smiths. I notice on the web site it is listed as a good bullet for 357, it may need to be pushed harder, that is what I am trying to find out from NOE. It is also supposed to be a H & G clone.

What I originally asked MP and Accurate about were copies of the Lyman 358156, the venerable SWC that is noted for accuracy and hard hitting. MP said he thought he had some that were not in his catalog.

Arsenal shows the RCBS copy which I am considering now. I really didn't want an entire collection of bullet molds to fit every need or gun but...........
    That's the mold I have same problem went to my SACEO 158. That's the first mold I could not get to work. All I shot is 38/357 have about Twenty molds.

Boolit Master
    I like both mould makers but Tom has a lot of Eagan copies in his catalog and they shoot just as well as my Eagan original mould.

Boolit Master

I have Accurate and NOE 5 cavity molds for handguns. Both are great, cast great, shoot fine for me. Mold quality is top notch. I like Accurate better because the 5 cv sprue plate is designed so I can add the Lee handy lever action for opening the mold. The NOE 2 cv rifle mold I have is also top notch quality.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j_dude77 View Post
    Just wanted to ask if there is a difference in quality. I have searched the forum and read excellent reviews on each. There are a few designs, that NOE has in stock and there are a few designs that Accurate can cut, that I would like to get. Is this just a case of 6 one way, half-a-dozen the other?
    no such thing as VS between Mold Makers
    we are living in the golden age as far as quality
    and service provided by each of the various makers
    you can't loose with any of them
    pick the one you like and buy then buy more
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    That's the mold I have same problem went to my SACEO 158. That's the first mold I could not get to work. All I shot is 38/357 have about Twenty molds.
    So, with around 20 38/357 moulds you are an official field tester. What are your top five in 158 grain SWC? Your go-to mould?

Boolit Master

So, with around 20 38/357 moulds you are an official field tester. What are your top five in 158 grain SWC? Your go-to mould?
    Saeco 158 bb 4 ca best mold also have NOE, Lee, Lyman and RCBS 158's

Boolit Grand Master
    I've expressed my lack of enthusiasm for Group Buys, which of late seem full of pitfalls and (especially) delays. I have one aluminum and one brass mould from NOE, and other than my mixed feelings about his RG (Rube Goldberg?) hollow pointers (or in my case hollow base plugs) I am nothing but impressed once I finally got them. I'll mention Mihec moulds as well, since I have one of those as well. Did I mention I HATE WAITING FOR GROUP BUYS!!!

To be fair, I got in on my first NOE group buy just as the dime dropped and I got it almost immediately... which colored my opinion about what I could expect. Then when I had to wait so long (6-18 months) for the next couple, the color changed!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    yes thats the chance you take on GB's
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    So where do I go to get a plain base mold for my .25-20?
    I guess it's RCBS or bust?

I prefer Tom by a long way. You get what You want and only you. Why wait for 20+ casters to agree on a mold. You can also mix and match multiple styles and make it your design. Tom is truly a one off custom mold maker. He has always responded very fast to emails even on weekends. All you need is a idea and He will help you design your perfect bullet he has so much knowledge it's amazing

Quote Originally Posted by bigboredad View Post
    I prefer Tom by a long way. You get what You want and only you. Why wait for 20+ casters to agree on a mold. You can also mix and match multiple styles and make it your design. Tom is truly a one off custom mold maker. He has always responded very fast to emails even on weekends. All you need is a idea and He will help you design your perfect bullet he has so much knowledge it's amazing
    I fully agree here...Tom is amazing with his quality as well as his communication. You cannot go wrong with one of his molds!

NOE are good off the shelf molds. Tom's molds over at Accurate are TOP NOTCH custom molds built to YOUR specs. Just know what you are asking for when you order because he will not make you what you want, but what you ORDER. Check and recheck your dimensions and alloy specks. Ask me how I know...….
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Points to Tom here also. Got probably 50 NOE's molds but still...Accurate is better casting and quality. At least my mind.

They are almost indistinguishable in quality IMO, which is quite good. I've only had aluminum 4 cavity molds from them.

Neither are as nice as Miha's.

Boolit Master
    The two Accurate molds I have came quickly and are great. The main reason I've been getting MP molds recently is that I cast in volume, and Tom's molds are up to five cavities, whereas Miha's molds, also well made, are up to eight, 60% more boolits per pour.

If, though, I start jonesing for a custom design, absolutely no doubt I'll be emailing Tom.

I've never used NOE molds, so I can't comment on them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast