Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingPBcastco
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Gonna build a shot maker

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the kind words guys. Here is arough drawing of the dripper.
    There is probably no need to make a burner .I am sure a gas ring obtained from the nearest barbecue shop would do just as good a job as long as your trough is constructed out of aluminium because of its excellent heat transfer properties.
    Over the next couple of days I will do a rough drawing of the trough showing the dimensions I have used .

Quite impressive and well done.

May I ask why you use an open trough to feed the drippers? Was there a reason for this based on experience or something else?

My guess as to why you use a trough is to keep the pressure on the .024" hole consistent and not pressurize the orifice with too much weight of molten lead.

I'm thinking I may have to build one of these as a companion to my lead pot....

Tom
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.hensleygibbs.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Banned

I see now. I was wondering about the holes coming out the center. You used your end mill to cut in the flat notch, then drilled it with the small bit.

Stainless and alum would be the way to go for sure, but I bet that stainless .024 was hard to drill like you say.

I sold my aluminum welder dangit!

Banned

Still would like to see your box tubing burner. I need to make a burner, as we don't have BBQ shops up here..

Boolit Buddy
    Here is an image of the burner.Holes are 2.5mm. I welded one end shut and the other is where the tap is held in by a set screw. The gap underneath is to allow air to mix with the gas. The tap and gas jet were purchased from the barbecue shop.

Boolit Buddy
    Here is a rough dimensional drawing.The unit is 9" wide.The 4" extension on the back oof the trough is used to melt ingots when I am not using pre melted lead.

Texasflyboy.
    Yes.The open trough is to more easily monitor the level of the melt.Too low and the shot gains size.Too high and it clumps together and forms blobs.A more consistent result is arrived at by using pre-melted lead .Generally if I have a lot to get through I begin by melting up a full cauldron and casting it into ingots.The next cauldron full is used to begin the shotmaking and the ingots can be added as the level of melt drops,bearing in mind that adding too much cold lead at one time can halt the process.
    The unit will work by just adding cold ingots but you have to hover over the thing every minute to keep track of the level .

Boolit Buddy
    Borrowed the wife's camera! Bless her.Close up of the drippers showing a frozen pellet about to drop.
    CORRECTION. The pellets fall 3/8" to the bib not 5/8" as I stated in an earlier post.

Banned

Gracias Senior..

Boolit Master

very nice.

Pat,

an intersting way to make a burner feed is to use tweco wire feed tips. If you use the tip to introduce the propane into the square or round burner lik eheathydee has made the pressure from the jet will pull the airstream in for mixing. I have not made a low output burner using this method, but I am sure it will work. I have built some burners for a forge and a couple others for big heat applications.

Here is a link to a great page by Ron Reil on forge burner design. Take a look at the T-Rex burner page, these are some monster atmospheric burners for their size.

http://ronreil.abana.org/sitemap.html

t-rex burner page
    http://www.hybridburners.com/

Banned

Thanks for the Link Manley.

I've got plenty of tweeco tips...

Boolit Mold
    heathydee what is the distance of the lip from the drippers

Boolit Buddy
    About 3/4 inch. Not critical.An 1/8 either way would not matter.

so if I can get about a hundred pounds of number 8 shot for about a buck twenty five a pound I should go for it huh? Sounds like its going for two bucks/pound for the rest of you guys.

Any chance you could get round buck-shot out of one of these rigs ???? I'm thinking OO size ???? or is that just way too big to ball up correctly without an insanely tall drop tower ????

I send a lot of buch-shot down range and I'm getting tired of either paying high way robbery prices for an itty bitty box or casting it two darn balls at a time.

Banned

You need to get you a "Do-it" mold for those buckshots.

Boolit Master

you can make buck shot but the cooling tank would have to be deep and the lead temp would be more of an issue also hole size would increase in dripper guessing about 4 times? rick

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shotman View Post
    you can make buck shot but the cooling tank would have to be deep and the lead temp would be more of an issue also hole size would increase in dripper guessing about 4 times? rick
    Now I would be intrested in making one of these things to make OO or O buck !

And I think perhaps it could be of 2 to 4 holes , as 25 pounds of this at a time would be plenty !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    I just talked with my friend from the gunclub that has the pair of Littleton Shotmakers !

And he's up for letting me try to make some new drippers for buckshot to use in his setup !

So what size hole should I make for OO buck ? .098" maybe ?

If #8 shot is .024 . That times 4 would be .096" and a little extra just to be safe would be .098" or am I off a bit ?

Boolit Master
    Now I am also wondering ?

In the past I have read about and shot Hevi Shot buckshot . If I am not mistaken this stuff is supposed to be harder then normal shot , hence the reason it patterns better from lack of deformation .

So I am thinking if I use Linotype which is supposed to be about 20 on the hardness scale , that should be better then WW's which usually are about 9 or 10 !

Now am I looking at this thing correctly or not ?

I think that shot size vs. hole size will require some experimentation - Remember, 7 and a half is approx. 350 pellets to the ounce, while 00 is 8. That's about 43 times the volume per pellet. So start there, but it may be that shot that big is too large to make in these small shotmakers.

You can however, cast them - Lee makes .330 sized molds

This has got me very interested. It should be simple enough to machine a ladle out of aluminum stock, and then attach a ring or disc heater(Mcmaster Carr has a good selection of 'em) and controller to regulate heat. You don't even need to make the nozzles as Magma will sell them. Use a cheap bottom pour pot like a Lee(if you don't have one on hand already) to feed it as a premelt...

Dammit! I didn't want another project!

HTRN
    Last edited by HTRN; 03-29-2008 at 02:30 AM.
    There's nothing scarier than a Machinist with a warped imagination!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast