Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: best sharpener?

Boolit Master
    well being an independent sort and not having room to carry some one around to do it for me. I learned to do it myself. if the lade is real bad I start with some wet and dry sand paper on something flat. then go to a med. oil stone then a fine water stone then a steel then strop it on a pice of leather an old boot works nice. I get them shaving sharp that way.

Boolit Master
    I purchased a Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener, not cheap but works very well.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1964_200431964

Boolit Master

Grizzly makes a Tormek knock off. I bought one and it works great. Mine was made in Germany.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Bub
    Well Guy's and Doll's, you may as well toss those other knife sharpener's into the trash can. No I am not drunk (don't drink alcohol) but I bet anyone hear, that you can have a dozen knives to sharpen and I'll be done with my dozen by the time you are on you 2nd knife. Now that is no mistake whatsoever, The WORK SHARP knive sharpener is the fastest and puts on a great long lasting edge. I have used lot of sharpener's in my day, going back to the early 50's and nothing I ever saw, especially in a small portable sharpener can come close to the ability of this WORK SHARP knife sharpener.
    "GOD Bless America & Our Troops"

Boolit Buddy
    I use a Harbor Freight 1"X30" belt sander (about $40). I've bought many of the different grits and finishing belts on line. Even bought a leather belt (not needed). I started by going to Salvation Army and getting used kitchen knives for 25 cents apiece to practice on. Learning to sharpen the point was the toughest (raising the knife as required). The belt sander (minus the platen) produces a convex edge that lasts a long time and is quite sharp.

I'm sure I've given away 100+ kitchen knives (my wife has drawers full) and I regularly sharpen for the neighbors. Kinda a hobby now.

If I'm just touching-up a relatively sharp knife, I use a cheapy crossed crock stick. I have the Spyderco sharpener which cost more than the belt sander but never did care for it.

Boolit Buddy
    Best powered systems for me is the Tormek, my custom paperwheel setup using the tormek jigs, and "the sharp Machine". The best portable, no power available setup for me is my Edge Pro Professional(think deer camp).
    I sharpen for $ so I have different needs depending on what I am working on. My favorite is the sharp machine. It is a specialized 30" belt sander with guides and a slower belt speed than a normal setup etc. I can work a blunt knife to a keen edge in no time. I can also customize the edge by using different belts. For a mirror edge I can run down to 9 micron belts then switch to leather with decreasing micron polish. Adding the morror finish is another minute or two of work which is nice. I can also do swords on the machine if needed. I like the tormek for the plastic coated knives, no worries of too much heat either.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry in MT View Post
    I use a Harbor Freight 1"X30" belt sander (about $40). I've bought many of the different grits and finishing belts on line. Even bought a leather belt (not needed). I started by going to Salvation Army and getting used kitchen knives for 25 cents apiece to practice on. Learning to sharpen the point was the toughest (raising the knife as required). The belt sander (minus the platen) produces a convex edge that lasts a long time and is quite sharp.

I'm sure I've given away 100+ kitchen knives (my wife has drawers full) and I regularly sharpen for the neighbors. Kinda a hobby now.

If I'm just touching-up a relatively sharp knife, I use a cheapy crossed crock stick. I have the Spyderco sharpener which cost more than the belt sander but never did care for it.
    I use the exact HF belt sander. It is cheap and works great. After a short learning curve it is very fast. I take the blade to a good leather strop and have a very sharp smooth edge. If I want to go to scary sharp, I'll take it from the belt sander to a fine Arkansas stone before the strop.

Another vote for decent dual grit wet stone. One size fits all.

Boolit Master
    I use the Lansky thing to get the correct angle when I cannot get my FIL to just do it right for me with a good ole stone.
    Maybe one day we will both have the time and patience to learn me right. He just has the touch, I don't.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    I use a piece of glass and emory cloth from 160 to 3000 grit depending how dull the blade is. Do a little searching on you tube and you should be able to find reference to the method.
    Sounds like you're talking about "Scarey Sharp TM" or something like that.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

I like the Spyderco Sharpmaker. On some knives you may have to reprofile the shoulder with a course stone or similar before you start. No guesswork, and good results every time.

I also have the Spyderco Sharpmaker with the diamond sleeves to slide over the stones. Diamond sleeves will re profile any blade. The kit is over 10 years old and still works like new. The diamond sleeves are cleaned with a toothbrush and hot water and the stones can be put in the dishwasher.
    "Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    Just a large dual grit wet stone.
    You know what you're talking about, once one learns how to sharpen on a wet stone, nothing is better! It doesn't cost a lot either. Mine is a 3" X 8", wet stone (uses water), love it!

In between major sharpening on a stone I use a Smith's sharpener that looks like one of those butane fire starters. You just hold the knife down and give it a couple swipes. It is for the kitchen knives only though.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234