MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: AL stamped WW

Boolit Bub

AL stamped WW

OK... I looked... I searched... so I'm in kevlar and with ballistic helmet

WTH is the AL stamped ww? Some cut fine with clippers...some are tougher.

I started to just throw them all aside as junk alloy but am not sure cause all the pics of the different WW do not show the AL stamp

Thanks

I'll post pics if needed
    Democracy... while it lasts is more bloody than either aristocracy or monarchy. Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There is never a democracy that did not commit suicide.
    John Adams
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
    John Adams

For my rants on things important and not:
    http://commonmanandamerica.wordpress.com/

Boolit Grand Master

AL in this case means for use on aluminum rims. Do the wire cuter test, melt the soft ones, put the hard ones aside as zinc for future trading material.

Boolit Bub
    thanks...
    Democracy... while it lasts is more bloody than either aristocracy or monarchy. Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There is never a democracy that did not commit suicide.
    John Adams
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
    John Adams

For my rants on things important and not:
    http://commonmanandamerica.wordpress.com/

Boolit Master

Sometimes they have a plastic-like silver coating on them that stays on top as they melt. Don't worry about it. Melt 'em and cast 'em.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

with a pair of wire cutters, you can't cut the zinc WW. Try to find a WW with ZN marked on it and you will see what I mean. Some lead WW are pretty darn hard around here. I use a sharp pair of wire cutters and cut at the end of the WW. I just make an indent not cut the end off. After a bit you will get the hang of it and be able to cruise right through.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Bub
    The bigger weights its faster to hold on one end tap on concrete there is quite a difference in sound when zinc or iron. I do it this way so you can get your pot started with known lead and after melted add little ones and watch for floaters.

Boolit Mold
    The "AL" designation is a style of wheelweight (ww) that typically fits some aluminum rims - just like P, MC, AW, FN, C, TN, and others. "FE" designates steel weights (Fe is the symbol for iron right?). "ZN" is for zinc, so in many cases you will see a ww marked with FE and MC. Either melt slow and take temps constantly and keep the temp under 725 - or spend much time looking at and/or crimping every ww.

Boolit Mold
    on some of the zinc ww it looks like the clip is riveted on instead of molded in

as lead ww are.

sdshootermsd

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by master caster View Post
    The bigger weights its faster to hold on one end tap on concrete there is quite a difference in sound when zinc or iron.
    That won't work for me, I've got a high frequency hearing loss. Also, I've seen some of the riveted weights that are steel, not zinc.
    I'm finding larger and larger percentages of unusable weights lately. Better get 'em while you can.

Boolit Master

All of the riveted ones I've encountered have been steel, not zinc.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    There used to be an aluminum re-processor named "American Aluminium". I worked for them in the late 1960's. They or one of their subsidiaries made wheel weights with the symbol "AL".

I think the company is not in business in the continental USA any longer.

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.