RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paid WhiteTail hunt?

Boolit Master

Paid WhiteTail hunt?

I desperately want to shoot a Bambi with my 10mm, It is however an illegal caliber here in Indiana. Anyone have a recomendation for a paid hunt somewhere between here and Texas?
    Thanks,
    Eric
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

texas
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master
    Thats kinda where I wanna go but I'm not sure where yet, anyone have any experience?

why the heck is it illegal caliber?? I do not understand that. JW

Boolit Master
    Indiana bases it's approval on cartridge length. I can use a .357 but not my favored 10mm. So If I wanna add a Whitetail to my 10mm trophies I gotta pay.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    I'm not positive but several of the "mid-western" states are black powder, shotgun, or archery only large game hunting. Prolly population density reasoning.

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Krack View Post
    I'm not positive but several of the "mid-western" states are black powder, shotgun, or archery only large game hunting. Prolly population density reasoning.
    Yep, Indiana is sort of one of those. We just got the ability to use "rifles chambered in straight wall pistol cartridges from 357 magnum up to 500 SW Magnum" and it's based on brass length.

D
    Never trust a skinny chef, a fat personal trainer, or anyone who can't stand beer.

Blessed are those who are cracked, for they shall let in the light.

Here in Oh you can use a handgun 357 or larger, straight wall cartidge, 5" barrel length min. Full frame 1911 legal, 10mm handgun would be legal with a 5" barrel. No rifle hunting for deer, except BP muzzle loaders, inlines.
    http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Default.aspx?tabid=20829
    As I was told when I was a child; your elders will make you smarter if you listen. Then when you are older your elders will teach you WISDOM.
    300winmag

Boolit Master

I dont beleive its a problem in KS. I have used mine in the past.

Boolit Buddy
    Colorado has a 500lbs of energy rule and I believe Wyoming does as well. 243 minimum bullet diameter for big game

Boolit Grand Master

Bring it! If you feel you and your centerfire handgun are up to the task it's OK with TPWD. I've killed a few deer (and hogs!) with handguns but on most hunts a rifle is my primary critter gitter. With a good boolits and shot placement your 10mm is more than up to the task of harvesting our little white tail deer, maybe even a hog if you get a chance. Most outfitters would prefer you hunt with a rifle but they will generally accommodate an experienced hunter who is proficient with a handgun.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I'm good in Colorado!

Boolit Mold
    Come on up to Mi it's a bigger than 357 for handguns here. We have lots of State land to hun. In some counties the farmers ar more than happy to have you lower the herd numbers. They eat a lot.
    I love PETA : People Eating Tasty Animals

Boolit Master
    I found a few places in Michigan that I would have to pay for never thought about trying to find a free place.

Banned
    There are litterally millions of places to hunt for the price of your outstater tag here in Michigan and if you are actually only after "a deer" you would not have to come very far north to do it. Some of our public land is "BUSY" but it is very do-able to set oneself up with a relatively "free" hunt that the thinking man will have a good chance of finding success with. If you're only after a Bambi it should be real easy.

If you are not afraid to knock on a few doors you just might be amazed at what can be had here privately for "free"....just do not say your from Detroilet. That system is starting to fade away, but a persistent feller will still find a place. Just remember the farmer/landowner at Christmas and you might be amazed what can be presented to you for "free".

Boolit Master
    Good ideas Thanks!!

Banned
    Everyone should have the joy of making venison with their favorite pistol. Laws can be darn stuupid things...I have to go 3/4 mile north in order to use my favorite rifle for deer hunting, but I can poke it out the window the rest of the year to kill a yote/crow/woodchuck, etc......???????????????????

Boolit Master
    Yes indeed!!!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by saidnuff View Post
    Come on up to Mi it's a bigger than 357 for handguns here. We have lots of State land to hun. In some counties the farmers ar more than happy to have you lower the herd numbers. They eat a lot.
    Here in Wi, the 10mm would be legal. Just about any centerfire pistol is. The comments about Mich apply here too

Boolit Master

Wherever you decide to go, get the name and phone number of the game warden in that area and call him. He will know most of the landowners, the good spots, what is productive now, etc. He can give you some of the best info on the area that you can get. If you have trouble finding the game warden's info. call the county sheriff's office and they can give you the game warden's name and phone number. Also call the local newspaper. Usually for a small fee they will send you the classified ads listing hunting properties, "day leases", etc. Get as much local input as you can. It will pay off.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast