WidenersRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: Rossi M-92 stocks

Boolit Master

Rossi M-92 stocks

So I picked up a Rossi M92 with the 20" barrel in 45lc. I took it out shooting this weekend and overall I am pretty happy with it. I shot about 50 of my jacketed 300gr Sierra bullets first to try and take care of any roughness in the barrel. Then I shot about 50+ cast bullets ranging from 255gr to 335gr. All of them were on the hotter side and the rifle digested all the ammo without any issues. The 335gr was tight on feeding but it still fed without any effort.
    I need to drift the front sight post as all rounds were hitting about 4" to the left. I drift it to the right correct?

There are a few questions I have and didn't see them discussed here on a search so if they have been asked forgive me.

1.) Is there a longer buttstock to give the rifle a longer LOP? It is very cramped trying to shoot the rifle. There is no way I could mount any type of tang sight on this as there would be nowhere for me to grip.

2.) Do they sell a recoil pad that would add at least an inch? The gun's recoil with the heavies is mild, but I would really like the added LOP.

3.) Recommendations for a sling system for this. I really would like to put a sling on it. Would certainly make it handier when I am out walking around.

Thanks for your help.

Boolit Master
    No one?

After looking all over the internet it appears that the .454 and .480 Ruger models had a flat buttstock and a 13.75" LOP compared to the 12.5" of the standard. Now if I could only locate said buttstock it would make things much easier. It's just a little awkward having to scrunch my body up to shoot with the small buttstock.

FWIW, windage is properly adjusted via moving (drifting) the REAR sight in the direction desired to move the boolits POI on target, as it's less noticeable than when the front sight is moved.

Thick shotgun-type recoil pads, readily available from Cabela's, MidwayUSA, Brownell's & others, can be easily fitted to the naked end of your existing buttstock - just apply a layer (or two) of masking tape on the wood before grinding/filing/sanding/etc the pad to fot, and remember to go slo & EZ.

Cabela's additionally has slip-on slings, which cradle the butt & wrap the mag tube & bbl just ahead of the forend.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Precision gunworks inc. sells a walnut stock. They don't state LOP, but a phone call would answer that issue. Always move the front sightthe direction the bullet is going, the rear the way you want the bullet to go. The uncle mike's sling mounts for lever guns are pretty popular or if you dont want to drill a hole than you could use a muzzleloader type sling from somewhere like dixie gunworks. The Rossi 92s with the octagon barrels and crescent buttplate are longer-maybe if you call Rossi they would sell you one. Most of the Rossi stocks I've seen needed to be finished/refinished to look good.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the help guys.

The buttstock that I have on mine right now is curved. I found one on Boyds website that is flat (I guess it's called shotgun style). I put an email into them asking if they also make the fore stock so I can have matching wood. In all my searching I did manage to find a leather lace up butt pad that looked really nice. Not sure if it added any length but I was thinking I could add a little something between the leather and the butt plate. Now I have to remember what the name of the company was. This might be an easier option for me.

As far as the sling goes I really don't mind drilling into the stock and mounting a stud. I have seen mixed reviews on the Uncle Mike's that clamps to the tube so I am not sure on the front portion. If I knew how to drill and tap (or had the tools to) I would try the front barrel band mount. It's a bit above my pay grade though so not sure I will attempt it.

I am going to head off to Bass Pro Shops and see what they have in the way of parts for everything else.

I really appreciate all the help.
    Last edited by warboar_21; 02-12-2013 at 05:24 PM.

Banned

our member here springfield owns whyte leather works.
    he made me up a leather butt pad for one of my 92's.
    i'll probably end up having him make me about 15-17 more for the rest.
    they look good and are lever dude cool.

Boolit Master
    Those certainly look pretty nice. Did it increase your length of pull any or is it a single piece of leather. It's hard to tell from the pics.

Thanks.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by warboar_21 View Post
    No one?

After looking all over the internet it appears that the .454 and .480 Ruger models had a flat buttstock and a 13.75" LOP compared to the 12.5" of the standard. Now if I could only locate said buttstock it would make things much easier. It's just a little awkward having to scrunch my body up to shoot with the small buttstock.
    I have R92s in 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, and 480 Ruger. I sure wanted to the Casull/Ruger stocks and on the first three. I spoke to Braztech and all the stock work is done in Brazil. A supervisor in customer service offered to check and see if the work could be done but I declined as I do not want my rifle shipped off.

I've thought about sending a stock set out to be duplicated. As a side note, the Rossi wood responds very well to the complete Tru-Oil finish. Absolutely beautiful!
    Michael

go to baco [buffalo arms] for a butpad that laces up on the bottom...they sell 4 different sizes to fit many different size buttstocks.... on my cresent style buttstocks i use a dense foam pad carved to fit the curve and thus making a flat place for the pad to abutt upon... i have em on most of my rifles...including my rossi 45 colt round barrel rifle. it has the carbine stock and with the added 1 inch length it allowed me to install a marples tangsight that adjusts for windage and well as height.

as for where to hold my right hand...i keep my thumb from going across the wrist and hold it alongside the wrist on the same side...this is a bit different hold for most but coming from a bolt background...it is a natural hold for me.

im a tall galoot and my rifles need the added length for the length of pull i need so i find these lace-up pads both stylish for period type rifles as well as comfortable for my needs.......and did i mention cheap? around 33 dollars if memorie serves.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info Ranch Dog. I wish I would've bought the 480 Ruger Puma when I had the chance. Stainless Steel 20" barrel and only had a box of the 325 xtp put through it. Guy up in WA state was selling it as he just didn't like the recoil. Had my wife not been ready for delivery of our first child I would have gladly given him the $300.00 he was asking.
    The wood on my rifle isn't what I would call very nice but it works. I tried several coats of Tru-oil but it didn't darken up anymore so I figure I will try to strip it and maybe add some stain prior to the oil treatment.

Bigted,
    I looked on their website but found no leather buttpad. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place but I looked for quite some time on their site.

Boolit Master
    It's been ~4.5 yrs, so the OP may have found something by now?

Quote Originally Posted by nitro-express View Post
    However, I am interested in something along these lines myself. Would that one fit the Rossi M92 buttstock?

I have also noted this one:
    http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/ac...-butt-cover-52

Boolit Buddy
    Holy necro-post Batman!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    It's been ~4.5 yrs, so the OP may have found something by now?

However, I am interested in something along these lines myself. Would that one fit the Rossi M92 buttstock?

I have also noted this one:
    http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/ac...-butt-cover-52
    Here is one member Springfield made for my '92. It is a rifle so has the crescent buttplate that bit into my shoulder. He placed a molded pad in there and it is perfect now. Great Craftsmanship and a great price. R5R mentioned him above as well.
    Last edited by Bzcraig; 09-12-2017 at 11:17 PM.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Note that Win 92 and 94 buttstocks will fit the Rossi also. The forend is a different story.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    Here is one member Springfield made for my '92. It is a rifle so has the crescent buttplate that bit into my shoulder. He placed a molded pad in there and it is perfect now. Great Craftsmanship and a great price. R5R mentioned him above as well.
    So should the cheek/jaw weld miss the top of the cover completely, or hit the seam?
    I see varying lengths of these and don't really know what to think, without trying one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    So should the cheek/jaw weld miss the top of the cover completely, or hit the seam?
    I see varying lengths of these and don't really know what to think, without trying one.
    My pad doesn't interfer with my cheek weld at all.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia