Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why SWC?

Banned

is the keith boolit a swc ??
    or is a full wadcutter with a bump on the nose a swc.
    maybe that's just a unidirectional wadcutter.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry, your basic premise is false. How can a TC feed better than 100%?

A H&G 68 loaded properly will feed 100%, from many decades of personal experience with
    hundreds of thousands of rounds in many different PERSONAL pistols and observations of
    many millions of them downrange with very, very few issues issues and none that were related
    to the boolit design.

And they do cut nicer holes.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Well for one thing as a machinist I can see that the nose punch used to make the swaged versions would be far stronger than a RNFP shape. I have recovered fmj semiwadcutter from the dirt at camp perry. The nose punch for a RNFP would come to a razor sharp edge. It would also be far easier to grind a mold cherry to that form than a RNFP.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

A long time ago I read that the nose was for "form stability". That a wad cutter would become unstable past 50yrd's but that SWC would stay stable at long range. But I have never seen form stability explained . Way would adding a nose to make it longer make it more stable?

In Remembrance

By shifting the weight to the rear the boolit is more stable. Hollowpointing has the same effect.

I just love them, because they just look soooo nice. Also in IPSC/USPSA style shooting, if the Range Officer needs to make a call on a "close to the line" shot, they all tend to make the call more easily in your favor if the hole is that perfect round cut made by a SWC like a H&G 68 or clone.

I mean look at that beautiful 250g Keith SWC...its dead sexy also the little 100g .32 SWC are nice too... you just cant beat the .44 SWC

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6754.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	61278
    μολών λαβέ

[QUOTE=10mmShooter;2059864]I mean look at that beautiful 250g Keith SWC...its dead sexy also the little 100g .32 SWC are nice too... you just cant beat the .44 SWC

I should amend a previous statement about SWCs not being pretty... I don't own any other kind of mould for pistols -- I've got one WC and a whole fleet of SWCs in various calibers and I wouldn't have it any other way (well, I could use an RNFP for .45 Colt cuz my SWC doesn't work for sour owl poop in a lever action)...BUT, I've always thought the thousands upon thousands of .45 ACP rounds I've loaded look a little... funny. I've gotten over it. The classic 230 gr. RN load is the profile we associate with the round, but I haven't fired one of those in decades. I keep some around, but all my guns shoot the SWC nearly precisely where I want it, it's lighter (which saves alloy), faster (which ups its downrange potential) and I just won't change my mind about its efficacy.
    And the 429421? The handsomest round ever loaded.

mike
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12