WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Hollywood Senior Turret Press

Hollywood Senior Turret Press

Question for all the Hollywood Press people. Is the main shaft on the press removable and can you swap out the turret head on the press, also what was the purpose of having small and large die threads on the turret head. thanks "Press is a senior 8 4&4 hole turret press" P.S. what is the longest cartridge you can reload on a senior single stage small size press.
    Last edited by Gearhead1; 02-02-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Welcome to the forum. I don't have a Hollywood Turret Press, but I do have two Hollywood Seniors, one the standard size (smaller) and the larger one with the reinforcing rod on the front for bullet swaging.

On my smaller Senior, I can just barely load my .45-120 Sharps rounds, since the case is 3.25" long, and takes up most of the opening. I have to place the bullet up into the seating die and hold it there with my finger, then place the case in the shell holder and then seat the bullet (after removing my finger, of course).

The larger Senior press has plenty of room for loading the same round, so that's what I use now for that caliber.

Hope this helps.

Fred

PS: Either Kevin Rohror or Pressman will be along shortly to answer your questions concerning the turret press.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

Hollywood Uber Alles!

Interesting questions. I carried my Macbook Air downstairs to the reloading room to try to answer them:

1. Is the main shaft on the press removable: I am pretty sure the main shaft and base are separate pieces. I didn't want to unbolt the press from the bench, so I will guess from memory that the shaft is pinned to the base and is not easily removed.

2. Can you swap out the turret head on the press: The turret is easily removed by unscrewing one bolt and removing the top knot. A machinist can make a new turret.

3. Also what was the purpose of having small and large die threads on the turret head: The normal 7/8x14 threads are for industry-standard, RCBS-type dies. The larger 1.5x12 positions are for loading shotgun shells and really big shells like the .50BMG. The opening from the shellholder to the bottom of a die is approx. 6.25".

4. What is the longest cartridge you can reload on a senior single stage small size press: The distance from the base of the shellholder to the bottom of a die that is screwed in is approx. 4". I can fit a casing up to .300Wby Magnum in it, although it takes some effort to put a bullet into the case mouth.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0750.jpg 
Views:	570 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	60178
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the forum GH.

Do you have A Senior Turret?

As far as the main shaft being moveable, Pressman may have to weigh in on that one. The Senior Turret is based off of the Senior press which is a one piece unit. Which would seem to only make sense that the base and shaft of the Senior Turret would be one piece as well.

But Hollywood being Hollywood, who knows?
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 02-03-2013 at 03:07 PM.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Hollywood Press

Thanks for the info, it will be very helpful.

Hollywood Press

yes, it's in storage right now looking forward to getting set up soon. will send pictures when i get done. Thanks

Banned
    The cast steel Seniors were machined in one piece, the aluminum ones were made in three pieces. After 1961 they were made in three pieces.
    Ken

Boolit Master

After 1961 they were made in three pieces.
    Mine (the Senior Turret) is a newer one, probably made in the 1980s or 90s. There seems to be a definite line my fingernail hits at the top of the base.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    The cast steel Seniors were machined in one piece, the aluminum ones were made in three pieces. After 1961 they were made in three pieces.
    Ken
    Kevin may be correct. My earliest documentation of the Senior Turret is 1961 as far as advertising. Doesn't mean they did not come out sooner. Maybe Ken or Kevin have earliar documentation.

If 1961 was the release date or close to it, then Ken's 3-piece info makes sense.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Hollywood Presses

Hi Kevin, Thought i send a few pics. of my HOLLYWOOD'S Still getting them set up in the garage. Just got them out of storage,i will send more pics. as i get further along. Thanks for all the info on them. Thanks to LUBEDUDE and PRESSMAN also.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imag...attach/jpg.gif

Boolit Bub
    G'day from Downunder .

G'day Gearhead1 , I love your Hollywood senior press , I have its twin brother down here on my bench .
    I know it is sinfull and I apologise but I covet your Hollywood Senior Turret press as I have been searching for one for a long time to no avail , but everyday the search continues .

Regards Paul .

Boolit Master
    You have a good looking set there Gearhead1. They appear to be in fine condition. Looks like after you get things planned out, you'll be ready to go.

Hang in there Pauly, I bet you'll find a beauty any day now!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Hollywood relodding bench

Hi Lubedude, got to talk to Joe at HOLLYWOOD ENGINEERING today, he said the 4x8 Hollywood's did not have writing cast on the side of them. He said they were made between 1948 to 1961.I am planing to go see Joe soon and will take some pics. for team Hollywood to see. Thanks to everybody for the great info you guys have given me. here are some more pics,from the bench.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imag...ch/jpg.gif.gif
    Last edited by Gearhead1; 02-13-2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Adding more info

Boolit Master
    Awesome, would love to see those pics for sure!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD