Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: Savage Model 99 value?

Boolit Master

Savage Model 99 value?

was at a local gun store yesterday and noticed they had a Savage 99 chambered in 284 Winchester. The bluing was a little worn and the normal wear to the rest of the rifle. Over all I would say it would be in 80ish%. This is the first one I have ever seen in this chambering so I was curious as to the value and if it were somewhat rare or not.

Thanks

Some other links - I'm going to assume it's a 99F

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...age_Collectors
    http://www.savage99.com/index.php

My old Blue Book values:

Savage Model 99F:

98% - $630
    95% - $525
    90% - $450
    80% - $400

Add 35% for .250-3000 Sav., .358 Win., or .284 Win.

Now my books a little dated and Market has not seemed to follow the book for awhile - I have not seen any 99 south of 500 in last couple of years.

here's a link with someone getting one in 358
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...in-(99-Savage)

Boolit Grand Master

I'm no 99 expert but the ones under $600 around here have been pretty rough. Missed a nice takedown model for around $700 a couple of months back.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I will have to go back and have a look at it closer. The shop was busy (imagine that) and my time was limited as well.

Boolit Buddy
    358 Win & 284 Win models tend to bring 75-100% more than standard chamberings

the other thing to keep in mind is that 99's have different popularity in different parts of the country which effects price.

Boolit Master
    If you can afford a 284 Model-99. My advice would be to buy it. (If indeed it's in decent shape.) Seen one a few years back in a Cabela's in store gun collection once. To find one in private hands and fore-sale. Now that is a rare fine indeed.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 99F that had about 5 shots through it when I bought it. 358 Winchester. It is a sweetheart. I paid $850 for it and the guy thought he had me over a barrel. Bought it 4 years ago. I think I got a good deal. I would guess that market on a near perfect one would be about $1,300.00. I would think an 80% gun would be a fair purchase at $750-900 or so. Most of these rifle were hunted with fairly hard and I think that it is pretty hard to find them in super duper shape.

Been looking for a nice 99 in 30-30 for years, and gees folks are proud of 'em.
    I have a nice scoped .308 99E with a blonde stock I paid all of $60 for .... in 1970, my first centerfire bought from friend's mom (HER gun, they were a hunting family).
    It shoots 125 through 180 grain to minute of deer out to 200 yards...I've never even shot it at paper.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Master
    A neighbor looked for one for years, finally found a nice one for I think $600ish. Within a day, word of mouth had a guy at his door trying to buy it. My neighbor shot him $1,200 just to get rid of him, and to his chagrin, the guy whipped out the cash in a flash. Rare caliber around here.

Vendor Sponsor
    Took me 15 years of looking at gun shows to find one. They are very rare and shoot like a dream. To get the most from them you will have to reload and set your size die for minimum shoulder set back. Savage 99sw have generous chambers as a rule. But proper size die adjustment will have it driving tacks! I get sub moa with 140 gr triple shocks at 2800 fps. Higher pressures will bring sticky extraction.

ammohead

In Remembrance
    The 284 is hard to find and brings a premium. The last few years all M 99 prices have been going up, and for some reason I have been seeing want to buy adds for the 99's the last few months. I am thinking 1200, 1300 would not be out of line at all from what I have seen, and that may even be on the light side.

Boolit Buddy

while you have the books out. . .

. . . can I get some thoughts on values of a couple other 99s?

First one is a .300 Savage, mid-50s production, about 80-85% finish, fitted with a Marbles tang sight.

Second one is basically a parts gun: a takedown probably originally a 22 High Power or 303 Savage, semi-converted to 30-30. Doesn't reliably feed, needs a new buttstock.

Thanks,
    Jim