WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Die Lock Rings

Boolit Bub

Best Die Lock Rings

Who do you think make the best die lock rings?

Boolit Bub

Love the Hornady rings, wish they'd fit on my Dillon 650 toolhead. They're all I use with the Rock Chucker, no matter what brand dies I'm using. They lock positively without marring the die threads, and have the wrench flat so you don't have to use pliers to loosen them. I'm a big fan.

Quote Originally Posted by joe i View Post
    Love the Hornady rings, wish they'd fit on my Dillon 650 toolhead. They're all I use with the Rock Chucker, no matter what brand dies I'm using. They lock positively without marring the die threads, and have the wrench flat so you don't have to use pliers to loosen them. I'm a big fan.
    What he said.

Boolit Master

Here's one from the outcast. I like Lee rings. With the oring they are kinda like the Ronco Rotisserie -- set it and forget it.

Boolit Master

I second Lee's!
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

Boolit Master
    Hornady and Lyman lock rings for me.

Take care

r1kk1

With the Lee lock rings I use a permanant marker pen to mark a line from the lock ring onto the die body and make sure that is always to the front in the press with the die put in and taken out by turning the lock ring rather than the die body so I have a positive visual check that there is use to use setting consistencey.
    The Hornady is an excellent ring but I also have Lyman Forster and RCBS and they all work well.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

With the Lee lock rings I use a permanant marker pen to mark a line from the lock ring onto the die body and make sure that is always to the front in the press with the die put in and taken out by turning the lock ring rather than the die body so I have a positive visual check that there is use to use setting consistencey.
    The Hornady is an excellent ring but I also have Lyman Forster and RCBS and they all work well.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Moderator Emeritus
    I like the Lees but tend to use two per die. I also like the Forsters, however if I didn't have a Co-AX my dies would all carry Lee lock nuts.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master
    I'm a huge fan of Hornady's for the same reasons as Joe. I don't much care for the lee ones; it's pretty common that I accidentally adjust them when I just want to remove the die. I've never had a problem because I'm gentle but the RCBS ones just dig into the threading.

Boolit Buddy
    The Hornady rings are a more advanced design whereas as the RCBS rings are sort of first generation. RCBS should update theirs.

Boolit Grand Master

I love the Lee rings. I've put them on a lot of other maker's dies.

Boolit Master

I don’t care for the split rings or the Lee, although if one marks the Lee die to line up each time, they might be acceptable. But, I am uncertain they are tight in the press…

The split rings seem to tighten against the top of the press when the rings are tightened…

I absolutely HATE the allen set screws in any of them. Too easy to round off, and the small size does not allow much torque to tighten them…

I throw the set screws away and use brass machine screws. 10-32, I think they are, but maybe 8-32. I have both on stock…

I grind the heads to the same diameter of the threads and that will allow it to turn and not contact the press top…

Sometimes I put a #9 shot pellet in the lock ring and then tighten the screw up on it…

Regardless, the brass does not hurt the die threads…

A bit of effort in the beginning, but simple the rest of the time…

Easy to get a screw driver placed on the brass machine bolt and tighten…

Sorry for the lousy quality of the photo--a bit shaky this morning...

Good-luck…BCB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_1419#2.jpg  

Boolit Master

Same way on Forster Case Trimmer...

Tried a thumbnail this time...

BCB

(Does that thumbnail open when you click on it? If not, I will post it another way)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_1423#2.jpg  

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    For dies using the set screw. Remove the screw, and drop in a single bird shot pellet. Replace set screw. The lead will hold easier and better than the set screw, and help prevent buggering up the screw when tightening.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    For dies using the set screw. Remove the screw, and drop in a single bird shot pellet. Replace set screw. The lead will hold easier and better than the set screw, and help prevent buggering up the screw when tightening.
    You can also use a piece of copper Romex wire or one of the brass beads cut off an old fashion electrical pull chain.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    I have been using a LEE on the bottom with another brand on top of the LEE jammed together.

Boolit Master

I do what Rick said. A little shot ll do ya. Love the flats. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Hornady. Except on the Lee turret, then I use Lee rings because of little clearance between dies.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    I have used and liked them all, depending on the application.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast