RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything

Thread: Extended magazine for Marlin 795?

Boolit Master

Extended magazine for Marlin 795?

I want/need a magazine for my Marlin 795 with more than 10 round capacity -- at least 13, preferably 15 rounds (this is for the "Redcoat" target at Project Appleseed -- saving 3-5 seconds on the reload gives that much better chance of "cleaning" the target, and the same mag will also work with the original 10 round for the 2+8 strings). I've heard nothing but bad about the one brand of available after market magazines, and even the 10 round mags are currently hard to find, but I can get the 7 round capacity without much difficulty. It looks to me as if I could buy two of those, cut one below the feed lips, sand or wire brush the plating off, and braze them together with a reinforcing band, then make an adapter to butt the two springs and reassemble with one follower, both springs, and one floor plate to get a 14-15 round capacity (and no, I don't live in a state where 15 round magazines are illegal -- at least not yet).

Anyone tried this kind of modification on a pistol-type magazine (which is essentially what this rifle uses)? Any special pitfalls to watch for other than the obvious need to get the two parts aligned correctly?

Rimmed cartridges can interlock on a straight magazine if long enough string put together - your plan may work or may not depending upon the amount of play inside and if the rims interlock - thats part of the reason other high capacity are curved.

I know my straight 22LR from High Standard and Ruger Pistol magazines while they will hold 10 rounds do better if down loaded by 1 round.

If I was to attempt it I'd look at curved High Capacity magazine to attach too with my straight portion to get a better chance
    of working. Like the Franken Mag's for AR's shooting 7.62x39.

Last edited by Artful; 02-10-2013 at 07:18 PM.

Boolit Master

Curved magazine is a thought -- though the top-loading magazine in the 795 doesn't seem (in so far very limited experience, loading and unloading a couple times and topping up after a couple shots in the field) prone to rim lock (I've got a Mosin Nagant, I know from rim lock -- and yes, I've fixed the interrupter and don't get that any more). As you note, though, the rims will cause the rounds to tilt more and more as they push down; AK mags curve because of the tapered round, but a rimmed round can be handled by a curve just as well.

Problem is, there aren't any curved steel mags (that I know of) in .22 LR. The S&W .22 AR (1522?) uses a curved mag, but it's plastic AFAIK. The 795, Remington 597, and Savage in the same class all use plain steel magazines, but they're all 7- or 10-round and straight; the one extended mag on the current market for the 795 is plastic feeding a steel top end (strong enough plastic would be too thick inside the well), and has a mixed reputation, with reports that they sometimes require significant tweaking to work, new from the box.

I think for now I'll stick with buying a 7 round to use on the 2+8 and 13 round strings at Appleseed, and leave modifying mags until I decide if I'm keeping this rifle or trading it on a tube-fed bolt gun after filling in my AQT. Of course, that's all dependent on finding ammunition -- 500 rounds all the same is unobtainium right now. Gander Mountain locally has a three-box limit when they get anything in stock, so the only way I can get 500 there is in bulk packs -- and those sell out within minutes of opening on their shipment day.

Have you seen these?
    70 round drum
    http://www.promagindustries.com/product-p/mar-a4.htm

champion-magazine-marlin-795-22-long-rifle-25-round-polymer-clear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XMNbumZvyQ

Promag 25 rounder

and appear you can order these
    http://www.promagindustries.com/product-p/mar-a1.htm

http://www.gunaccessories.com/Magazi...lin/marlin.asp

some 10 rounders available here
    http://grabagun.com/mag-marlin-10rd-...988-71902.html
    Last edited by Artful; 02-11-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the links, Artful. Now I just have to remember which of those magazines is reputed to fail more often than it works. Oh, and figure out why I'd possibly want a 70 round drum for a .22...

At the very least, I should be able to get another 7- or 10-round on payday, might be able to get a 25 as well, and I might have a lead on some bulk ammunition -- someone where I work has a case and doesn't need all of it. Tax refund will get me the sling and swivels, if I can find any in stock; I might still make it to the Appleseed in March (still need to so some work on my sights, but that doesn't seem like a major problem).

Have you thought of holding tactical 3 gun type match with you 22LR - 70 round drum is great for that.

Hi-cap magazines for 22LR have always been hit or miss - to many tolerance's over the years of production.

That's why I like the one's I got for my 10/22 you can adjust it many different ways.

http://www.tacticalinc.com/ti25trade...reg-p-212.html

3. PRECISION ADJUSTABLE TO EXACTLY FIT YOUR GUN

Have you ever wondered (and cursed) about the amount of wiggle in all other 10/22 high capacity mags? A magazine should not wiggle that much in your gun, but it has to to fit... WELL NOT ANY MORE! It has been our experience that Ruger 10/22 rifles have some minor variations from one to the next which explains why one brand mag will run well in one gun and the same mag then not run in a different gun. What separates this mag from all others is the patent pending ability to micro adjust it for an exact fit in your gun for (1)FEED ANGLE, (2) FEED HEIGHT and (3) EJECTOR TO BOLT DISTANCE using the supplied 3/32" allen wrench. Four cap screws on the top of the mag that mate with your 10/22 receiver allow the mag to quickly be precision adjusted for an exact fit in your gun by minimally increasing or decreasing the individual heights of each of the cap screws (like leveling an appliance), resulting in a magazine that has minimal to no wiggle in your gun AND THAT WORKS!. The ability to quickly one time precision adjust it to your gun means that you can count on reliable feeding every time.
    Last edited by Artful; 02-12-2013 at 03:15 PM.