Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct ammo storage?

Boolit Master

Correct ammo storage?

I don't know if this is the right place to ask but here's the question. I sometimes load several thousand rounds at a time, What is the best way to store this? Right now I put them in ammo cans and leave them under my house, Climate don't change a great deal.

Boolit Master

Keeping at normal room temp., they will almost keep forever.
    The only thing I would be concerned about is keeping them under the house. Can see numerous problems there, moisture, etc. If you are using the 50 cal. cans, they stack very well. Think I would try to find a dry closet in a back room or something. Just stack them in a back corner.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Grand Master
    From what I've been told, extreme temperature fluxuations over a long period of time causes powder to degenerate. I've never challenged anybody to prove that to me nor have I ever proven it. It does make sense to me, though, to store something in a controlled environment that might otherwise degenerate. I keep all my primers, powder and loaded ammo in the house.

I also store my powder in the house in a 1" thick wooden box large enough to hold about 50 lbs of powder in 1 lb jugs. I've never had that much powder however and store about 15 lbs of various powders. I store primers in another box well away from the powder box.
    Joe

Boolit Master

I have them on a concrete floor , Ammo is in 50 cal cans, Primers in 50 cal cans and inside another large aluminum box with a lid, Powder in 50 cal cans, Would an old refrigerator with top and bottom be sufficient to store these under the house? I don't get water under there at all .

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC87 View Post
    ..... Would an old refrigerator with top and bottom be sufficient to store these under the house? .....
    I think that would be a LOT better than what you have now. Also, some moisture absorbing cat litter would help in keeping the humidity level down. If there's any way to install a small light bulb (25 watt?), that would help in keeping the temp inside from getting real low in the cold winter months.

I keep my primers and powder in a fridge here in my loading room. The only advantage I have over your fridge under the house is the room environment is controlled.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I would keep them off the concrete by several inches at least . The refrigerator idea sounds like it would be great and the low wattage bulb may even be better .

Jack

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I store ammo in the 50 or 100 round plastic boxes. I keep them in the house but not in the basement. The house varies as the weather varies, humid in the summer, dry in the winter. I have numerous boxes of cast loads I've kept stored for a long time for the reason soley to see how they hold up. last summer we shot of 2 boxes of 44 mags that were loaded with Keith bullets and 2400 powder. They were loaded 35 yrs ago. Accuracy and velocity were unchanged.

Since ive not been able to store ammo for as many years as some have had opportunity to, my experience with the matter is somewhat limited. However, here is my method.
    Take a 50cal ammo can, cut out a square of drywall that fits the bottom and put it in, fill with ammo, close can and double seal with duct tape. Stack in closet to form shelf, then use to hold clothes conveniently off the floor...
    Any man who seeks to live free should keep a Bible on his desk and a .45 in the drawer.

I store my reloads in plastic boxes designed for ammunition storage. I then place them in a cabinet in my reloading room. I think the refrigerator idea is good, but that's where I keep the cold drinks so it wouldn't work for me...

Boolit Master

OK fellas, her's what I did . I made a 2x4 frame, Enclosed with 5\8 osb, Filled the bottom with r 13 ins. put an inside bottom of 5\8 osb so that is a double bottom just like a wall. The outside and lid are 5\8 osb with 1 inch polystyrene insulation on all inside walls even the bottom, I made the lid to where if anything goes wrong it is easily lifted off. The same construction for primer storage, These sit on 8 inch blocks well off the concrete floor. I hope you give me some positive feedback on my efforts. Thanks for all the help and input USMC87

Boolit Grand Master

I've kept my ammo, Powder (small amt) and primers, in a sideXside refrig since it gave out in the 80's. It's in the basement (finished) and has kept everything in good shape. It does have a magnetic seal for a latch.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC87 View Post
    OK fellas, her's what I did . I made a 2x4 frame, Enclosed with 5\8 osb, Filled the bottom with r 13 ins. put an inside bottom of 5\8 osb so that is a double bottom just like a wall. The outside and lid are 5\8 osb with 1 inch polystyrene insulation on all inside walls even the bottom, I made the lid to where if anything goes wrong it is easily lifted off. The same construction for primer storage, These sit on 8 inch blocks well off the concrete floor. I hope you give me some positive feedback on my efforts. Thanks for all the help and input USMC87
    Sounds like a plan to me!

When you get older, you'll build it higher and put a cabinet door on the front so you don't have to bend over to get the stuff out of it.

I store all my 45ACP rounds in Nut jars from Costco with desiccant bags from ( whatever source I can salvage them). One of these days I am going to have to count how many are in one of them and then I know how much ammo I have on hand, well just maybe.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Sounds like a plan to me!

When you get older, you'll build it higher and put a cabinet door on the front so you don't have to bend over to get the stuff out of it.
    Or maybe use them or the plans for curing boxes for various projects...
    With all that insulation you have a gunsmiths "Easy Bake" ready to go!

(Read somwheres the insulation makes the use of an appliance bulb more efficiant and lowers the electrical draw....sounded good to me. )
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Buddy
    A lot of good ideas, I think how ever you store primers, powder and loaded ammo as long as it's in air conditioned space it will last forever or till the world ends.

Boolit Master
    My primers and powder is stored in a flammables cabinet in the basement in the reloading area. The basement is heated in winter and cool in summer and always dry.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
    My primers and powder is stored in a flammables cabinet in the basement in the reloading area. The basement is heated in winter and cool in summer and always dry.
    PERFECT!

A cabinet designed and built toward storing flammables in a controlled environment in a designated area below the structure. Theoretically, the house would have to go to fully involved and collapse to threaten the contents. If it got to that stage, the contents of the cabinet will be the least of your concerns.

Boolit Master
    That's exactly right Jim.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Grand Master

They sell these great dark green steel boxes with hinged lids and an over center latch, with
    a good rubber edge seal. PERFECT for storing ammo.

They come in several sizes.

Bill

(translated: keep doing what you're doing.)
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast