Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Sinclair/Wilson Trimmer - Case Holder ??'s

Boolit Master

Sinclair/Wilson Trimmer - Case Holder ??'s

Finally sprung for a Sinclair/Wilson Case Trimmer with the micrometer adjustment. In looking over what I load, and what I need for case holders and accessories- a few quetions have come up in trying to put together a list. Looks like trimming staight walled handgun cases will be slow at best with the standard handgun case holders - But wondered about the "Q style" holders for straight wall cases. Anyone have any experience with these or the standard ones? Also wondering about the Case Holders for "new brass". Most of my new brass is in .358 win and 45-70. Do I need the case holders for new brass? Any other accessories that anyone might recomend?
    Last edited by square butte; 02-08-2013 at 04:14 PM.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Man
    Mine is actually the neck turner but it's essentially the same tool. Go with the Q type shell holders. The difference in speed is at least 5 fold. You'll get the 'tap' cadence down pretty quick once you start using the shell holders. I mark the cross shaft on all of mine with an arrow so they go in the same each time. I believe the directions recommend you do this as well for consistency. If there are options for new brass and once fired for your caliber, it depends on when you want to size. If you size before trimming you'll need new brass holders. If you size after trimming you'll need the once fired shell holders. Not all calibers need the different holders. I blue all my Wilson stuff to keep it from rusting; others use car wax and such. I have a carbide cutter I bought from Russ Hayden years ago but I don't think it's available from him anymore. If you can find a carbide cutter I highly recommend it as the standard cutters do seem to dull faster than I liked. My carbide has to be at least 10-11 years old and has trimmed thousands of rounds with no sign of dulling. I also have the standard reamer for all my bottleneck calibers and it serves double duty as both a reamer and an inside chamferring tool. I had to get a spacer from Sinclair for a couple of my shorter pistol calibers. It's not cataloged, but the guys at LE Wilson made me a Q-type shell holder for my 38 S&W so I know they will do some custom work; all I had to do was send them 3 re-sized pieces of brass. Good guys to talk with/quality products.

Boolit Master

+1 on the above, can't add a thing, very well covered.
    I have one for years and I think it's a great trimmer.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    You can be secure in your mind that you own the BEST hand operated trimmer made! I have never had to trim pistol brass and only use mine for rifle. I hold mine in my 6" bench vise and tap the brass in and out of the holder on the front jaw of the vise. I buy the holders for "fired" brass sizing!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master

Thank you guys for the input. It is unusual for me to have to do to much trimming of straight wall handgun brass - although I have over the years - especially the ones used as rifle rounds. Due to the cost of the holders, I think I will prioritize my list to most used bottle neck rifle cases - Then work my way down the list to Q type holders as money allows. Toobroke - I thought the tip on blueing the case holders was interesting. What formula did you use to blue them, and how has it held up. I went with the stainless steel version of the trimmer because i had heard that they were prone to rusting. We are humid here in VT. Will start to look for a carbide cutter.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    One thing to add, Wilson will make custom case holders for just about anything. So will CH4D.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Man
    I wash them in hot soapy water and put in the oven to dry (lowest temp with the door cracked open). Then I clean them in alcohol (the kind that dries leaving no film--isopropyl/denatured? I know it's not rubbing). I just use the cheap Birchwood Casey stuff in a bottle applied with Q-tips. Leave it on for about a minute then run it under water to stop the process and in the oven again to dry then lightly oil them with gun lube on a rag.