Think It's about time reviving this old thread.

I've finally come around to making a new mold for my Brenneke clone. After reading up on George N Vitt's patent on his Vitt slug, I modified the angle of the fins making the angle less steep. Acording to Vitt the angle should be between 10-15 degrees for the best result. In his patent he claims the slug should be able to obtain a rotation of about 6000 rpm due to the drag from the helical fins. Now, this is not enough to stabilize a normal bullet, but it should eliminate any uneven drag on an already stabilized nose-heavy slug.

On the lineup below, the first straight rib slug design are at the leftmost, the next one is the first helical design followed by the latest of the bunch. The original Brenneke is added for comparison. The new slug is not quite finished yet. I will add a nose similar to the Brenneke, but I will omit the rim for the time being. The sneaky plan is to make a new mold for an epoxy base-wad with a helical rib matching the slug. When glued together the two parts will have an uninterrupted one inch long helical rib profile. But this is somewhat into the future, for the time being I'll stick with the old wad design.

I came across a good deal a while ago and obtained several hundreds of brand new, primed 2-1/2" paper hulls. Loaded with a 1/2" felt wad over 22 grains Unique, the length is just right for a perfect roll crimp over my old slug design. Some of my hunting buddies and Checian friends will be testing them on wild boars in the next few days. I'm hoping for some pics soon...