A couple of months ago I was on a wild boar hunt in the Czech Republic with a couple of friends. We had a great time and managed to bag few boars. The locals use shotgun slugs for a great part of their hunting, but unfortunately the quality slugs are quite expensive, so it is common practice to just swap the shot in an ordinary shell with a hollow lead slug - sort of a fat lead washer - and bang away.
I tried a couple of shots with these makeshift slugs and wasn't impressed, to put it mildly. I decided I would design a mold which would cast a decent Brennecke clone - which they all agreed was the most accurate slug for smoothbore guns - and try to work up a load that could duplicate the Brennecke's performance.
I have only little experience with slugs as they have been prohibited in Denmark for several decades, but lack of experience has never stopped me from doing stoopid things
Before I started I decided on a few things: The diameter should be 0.728 and the weight 1-1/8 ounce. The slug must have some sort of "fins" to allow it to pass through a chocked barrel without damaging it, and it must have a hole for attaching one or more felt wads to achieve the shuttlecock effect. This is what I came up with :
Basically the mold consists of two parts; A single part body and a "lid" - actually a sprue plate, that has a core on one side and a sprue on the other. The two parts locks together with three matching lugs. The mold is filled through three 2mm holes in the lid. Twisting the lid will open the mold and snap the sprue(s) at the same time -or so I hope.
The reservoir has tapered sides and the sprue should drop freely when lightly tapped - again, so I hope!
I added a spring-loaded plunger in the center of the body to ensure the slug can be ejected as the slug ribs has no taper.
The mold(s) are almost finished. All I need is to make the center plunger and we're ready to roll. I'm crossing my fingers.