MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Bayberry Wax?

Boolit Master

Bayberry Wax?

Hello, everyone. I posted this question over on the CBA site few days ago..no response..so I thought I would try over here.
    First, let me say a few words of praise for Randy Rat..bought a box of beeswax & anhydrous lanolin...I had previously ordered a pound of Carnauba. Quality is great! Funny thing about his B.W...I had been using some I had gotten right from a beekeeeper years ago..but Randy's stuff has an extreemly strong honey odor..wonder what they been eatin?
    Anyway, I mixed up my std. mix of beeswax base, anhydrous lanolin & castor oil mix..#5A..this is a bit stiffer than SPG..but can still be absorbed into skin without balling up when rubbed between fingers. I use it for most of my pan-lubed smokeless BPCR & some revolver loads.
    The first thing I noticed about the bayberry wax..other than it's nice smell... was it's hardness..cut with a sharp wood chisel, I got chunks..but a whole lot of powder..this stuff has zero ductility!
    This made me think it would overharden my std. mix..so I started adding in small quantities. To my surprise..there was really no noticeable hardening..if anything..I think it's a bit softer..but it did make it alot smoother in texture.
    I ended up adding 35%.
    Next, I mixed up another identical batch, but this time added carnauba..ended up at 10%..this stiffened it up to my original non-bayberry hardness..but was alot sticker now..though still can be rubbed into skin without balling. I have found for my use, a softer lube is more accurate.
    Only drawback is now I have to wait till spring to see if it works!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Bayberry Wax?
    What's your question?
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Oops..forgot to ask if anyone over here is using the stuff!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Yes - cut and paste the reply I gave you on another forum for the Pope and my recipe using bay berry wax
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

I bought bayberry wax back a while, have not tried it yet. One of the things on my lube shopping list is liquid bayberry wax. The lube recipie is the only place I have found reference to liquid bayberry wax.