WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .454 Casull Load For Large Animal Defense....

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    What Snyd said. You will want to check for feeding with bullets much over 330 grs as you are going to use up valuable powder space if you have to seat them deep. I use the Lee 300gr that actually casts at 317gr with WWs and I load 31grs LilGun for 1950fps. I could probably stuff a couple more grs of powder in, but the recoil is already stiff in the light Rossi carbine. I haven't tried this on anything yet but I'm confident it will do the job.
    I'm liking that Lee 300 too, however the last time I crimped in the lower groove it woudn't cycle. I'll have to try it again, however the top groove works fine. I believe yours cycles crimped with the longer OAL (lower crimp groove). Did it just cycle or did you have to work on the gun?
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Boolit Master
    I don't doubt for a minute that this would make a great hunting round in your rifle for the animals you describe. However...

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Shooter View Post

Would it be an acceptable defensive round in northwest mountain areas where large, startled, peeved animals could possibly be encountered?
    If you "startled" a large animal and it was "peeved", you would likely be very close. As to the outcome, the number of variables is huge. I don't think I or anyone else could give you that answer - probabilities at best. If you are standing underneath an angry elephant and your handgun renders it DRT were you successful? Not intended as sarcasm but rather hyperbole.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123