Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you use to grind your game?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Area Man View Post
    Man, got a Kitchen Aid with a meat grinding attachment. Thought it was great until I came in here. Now I feel laughably outgunned.
    Nothing wrong with that, i have done more than one deer with one of them, and if i am grinding goose meat into jerky or sausage, that is what i still use today. If it was all i had, i suppose it'd chew through an elk, but for one deer at a time vs time to setup and clean, there are days when a smaller grinder makes sense, plus they leave less meat in the head when you shut them off and regrind or go to clean it. Nothing wrong with using what you have! If you do get one, i'd say go at least #8 or 12, its hard to feel overpowered if you have alot of meat to do.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Banned

My partner that does crop damage shooting with me has been doing his for 10 years with one. Its a bit slow and anymore he just saves most of it up and borrows my big grinder but that little kitchenaid grinder has processed tons of meat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Area Man View Post
    Man, got a Kitchen Aid with a meat grinding attachment. Thought it was great until I came in here. Now I feel laughably outgunned.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    My partner that does crop damage shooting with me has been doing his for 10 years with one. Its a bit slow and anymore he just saves most of it up and borrows my big grinder but that little kitchenaid grinder has processed tons of meat.

I can't wait till I have tons of meat to grind. I've been a shooter for 25+ years but I'm just finishing up my third hunting season. Last year was my first and only deer

L Ross
    We've got an older Hobart grinder from a farm auction years ago, weighs about 100 lbs, grinds as fast as you can feed it. An antique Enterprise hand crank stuffer and a Northern Tool 40 lb. capacity mixer we've added a motor and gear reduction unit when we have more sausage to mix than we want to hand crank.
    When we are done grinding our burger we grind all the deer tallow we've trimmed off and put it in 5 qt. ice cream pails. Throughout the Winter we mix thawed tallow with peanut butter and feed it to or wild bird flock.

Boolit Master

I have a local sausage place grind and add pork to mine.
    They grind season to my specs. and package in 1# packs for $.69 lb.
    Seems hardly worth the trouble to do it yourself, unless you just enjoy doing it.....dale

In Remembrance
    When I was a kid I worked on a truck farm. The owner had a large cast iron grinder that ran off of the endless belt of his old farmall tractor. This thing seemed like you could drop the whole hog in it. He also had a large cast iron scalding vat on legs, that you built a fire under to scald hogs with.
    I have never seen another one of either of these anywhere.
    He could no longer eat pork and hadn't used these for several years, but even though I tried hard, I couldn't trade him out of them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by windturbineman View Post
    Here is my #42 cabelas/weston grinder. I like it alot. The cuber and jerky slicer attachments work great too. Attachment 61396
    What are the cuber and jerky slicer?...

Are they attachments you can buy for that grinder?...

I have a #22 Cabela's grinder. It is 1 HP and it does all I need it to do when grind up a white-tailed dear...

We usually grind 25-30 pounds of meat from a deer and after it is chunked from the deer, it takes about 12 minutes to grind it...

Works for me...
    (But, you will get lots of friends when they find out you have it)

Good-luck...BCB

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s7_515455_999_02[1].jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	62742The cuber and jerky slicer are attachments that you can buy for most of the cabelas,weston,LEM.... The cuber and jerky attachments are the same, if you get the cuber the jerky blade kit will bolt in and the other way around.
    (But, you will get lots of friends when they find out you have it)
    That is a fact!

Boolit Master

O.K. now I see what you are talking about...

I thought a cuber was for making chucks of stewing meat!!! Now I see it is for cube steak...
    (Amazing how the obvious just slips right by some times!)

Might have to check into that accessory...

Thanks...BCB

Banned

I absolutely love my cuber. My hunting partner got me doing it. He was making proably a 100lbs of them a year and gave us some once and ever since then ive done the same. MY wife would rather eat venison cube steak then any other way to prepare venison. two of my favorites are. In both recipes i flour them (really press it in) and fry in real butter and crushed garlic. #1 recipe. I fry some potatoes and onion and make up a batch of sausage gravy. Just pour the sausage gravy over the steak and the potatoes, Its a meat fit for a king and the guys at hunting camp pester me till i make it anymore. the second recipe. When cooking the steak mix about a 1/10 per volume of parmasean cheese with the floor. I take the cooked steak and place it in a pan with some homemade spegetti sause. Add some more crushed garlic, parmasean cheese, fresh peppers if you like and mushrooms. Simmer it for a couple hours and just add it to your favorite pasta. Cube steaks are also good for a quick meal. Just fry them and use them like you would a steak sandwich on a bun. Cream of mushroom soup and mashed taters work good too. We eat venison cube steaks at least once a week around here.

Boolit Master
    I too love cube steaks! We make a bunch of them out of our beef each year, pork cubes are also amazing. We especially love to make chicken fried steak out of them, i would love to get a cuber for our grinder to start doing it with venison round steaks.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master
    Wife and I processed a large doe this year with the Kitchen Aid attachment grinder. I deboned, removed the silverskin off the semi frozen meat, and cut it into suitable sized chunks, and Wife fed the grinder and bagged the meat. Most of that doe has been turned into ground meat jerky- I got a dehydrator for Christmas.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

i love this thread, wish i knew more about meat processing myself.
    my grandfather owned a meat packing plant that he sold in the 80s. all thats left from the company is a single sausage wrapper thats in my uncles house attached to a plaque and a winchester 92 that shot 32-20 that they used on the beef because the 22 wouldnt quite cut it. i think all the shots must have been against the skull because the muzzle end of the barrel measures something like .40, the place was sold before i went to kindergarten and the building was torn down about 10 years ago so i never even saw the inside of the place. my dad told me he worked there as a kid. all he wanted to do was get there before his brothers after school so he could hold the gun and they would have to attach all the hooks.

maybe he was yankin my chain i dont know

Boolit Mold
    Finally got one of Cabelas 1hp grinders. Wish I had done it years ago as that hing just goes thru a deer like lightning. Then, it makes a great bologna and sausage stuffer as well. My old Enterprise stuffer sat idle this year as I used my new toy. Gonna have to use it now and then or the wife will decide it's an antique and try to use it as a decoration.

I got a cheap Deni 550W grinder for a gift recently. Really small kitchen grade only does 1.5lbs per minute. We're starting to raise pork and beef on the farm, so I am looking for something a lot bigger. Also looking to start butchering deer on the side. Brother in law and I are looking to get a beef pretty soon. I'll do the slaughtering and butchering, as I'm the family hitman and butcher. Plan on taking the choice cuts and grinding the rest.

I'm going to keep this grinder around for small jobs like making breading, grinding organs for trapping bait, etc.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

CEO/CFO GunLoads Gunload Master's Avatar
    I hate to brag but... heres mine.

Name:	picture3.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	65089

Its a 5 hp 3 phase biro grinder. I ground two entire elk through it in less than 5 minutes... but it dont grind bullets very well
    http://GunLoads.com

Become a Supporting Member by joining TEAM BOOLITS!

Banned

now thats a grinder!!! Probably do a deer bone and all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunload Master View Post

Its a 5 hp 3 phase biro grinder. I ground two entire elk through it in less than 5 minutes... but it dont grind bullets very well

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunload Master View Post

Now there is a toy i hope to own someday! I have had my share of time behind one of those in the butcher shop, they can keep a feller right busy trying to fill burger bags! I think everybody that has been at it awhile has a collection of broken plates and mangled bullets! We shoot most of our does with shotguns, and had to start taking headshots if we were using buckshot, something about those super soft RB's that the grinder doesn't care for! lol

Boolit Master

The big Kitchen Aide Mixer with grinder attachment.
    Unfortunately I have not needed it the last two years.

Kink breaker

Several Youtube videos for processing out there.

I went to a boneless process years ago and for most cuts let muscle groups define the cutting system. It makes for smaller cuts so may not be good for everyone, but with a little effort one can pry the muscle groups apart with their thumb and judicious use of a small filet knife (new to me this year).

Of course I use thumb and fingers only on filet and use ed a filet knife for backstraps this year.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 01-17-2016 at 01:19 AM. Reason: additional info
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Good thread!!

I have cut up a few moose. My (Our) record is 1 moose cut up, boned, cut up, bagged and in the freezer in 4hrs 30 minutes. Completely filled the freezer, 24 hours later the meat was still not frozen.

I bag my grinder meat and freeze it before grinding it; it has been my experience this makes is easier, and the end product nicer, and more uniform. I grind it as needed. I use a Cabelas entirely level machine, and it has been fine. I have thought buying a expensive/powerful model but never have. The model I have can over heat, but with my small amount use it happens only occasionally.
    Thanks
    Ivan

Number #513

Yeah I figured it out. It would not be ALASKA……... unless it was the absolutely the toughest it could be and worst possible case scenario!