Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Question About Hooks

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.

Question About Hooks

This is a prepper question that needs some fishing experts to answer. The question is what type and sizes of hooks, line, other things would you include in survival supplies? Both for your own food and as trading material so the questions of best working, most universal types, as well as cost should be considered as well as useful in different areas i.e. salt water, fresh water streams, lakes, ponds, etc.

So what do you think?
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master

For hooks I would buy boxes of bait hooks starting at size 6 up to 1/0, I'd buy boxes of circle hooks from size 2 up to 3/0 and jig hooks size 1 up to 4/0. Monofilament line has a shelf life - store it for more than a few years and it forms impossible coils on the spool. For that reason (and the toughness compared to mono) I would keep spools of braid on the shelf (spiderwire is my favorite, but they are all good)- 12lb, 20lb, 40lb and 65lb. Braid is half the diameter of mono, so 20lb braid is like 10lb mono on the spool. You can run the 40 or 65lb as the main line, then use the 12lb or 20lb as a leader using a double uni knot. smaller reels can just run the 12 or 20 straight.
    Buy lures for trout and work up to plugs and swimbaits for saltwater. Of course I already have a fully stocked fly tying tackle box, so I could make anything as the need arises for the fly rods.

Moderator Emeritus

It depends on location. I stock from a #10 to #2 hooks in my tackle box. For emergency situations I carry # 6 hooks in my backpack. I keep a dozen #8 treble hooks in my bugout bag along with some braided line. I am near water that could hold a 12 lb northern pike or a 6 oz brookie and either might be dinner.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Check with a local marina. I used to able to buy an assortment of hooks in a round can about the size of a snuff can. i would lean toward panfish size along with a few bigger ones in case you wanted to set some bank lines for bigger fish. if you can catch small fish you can use them for bait.

Boolit Master

Braided line would be a must. I would get it heavy enough to straighten out the hook if the need came up. (you won't be out in a boat). That line would come in handy for other uses. Check out what fish will be in the area that you plan on heading to. You can make your decision of what hooks to carry based upon that. Finding an old telephone generator would be great. In a situation like you are talking about, I doubt a game warden would be around.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Master

I would also suggest to add some small pan fish tubes in smoke, white, black, black and chartreuse, red and chartreuse. These things will catch fish anywhere and just in the event that you are out during the cold months when there is little insect activity these might come in handy and weigh practically nothing and last a long time. Another bait that I read that one of the big commerical outfits that makes all kinds of survival gear includes with their kits is called the Baby Shad made by Bobby Garland in the electric chicken color they claim that this bait will catch any kind of preditor fish any where in the world. I can't attest for that but can tell you that it is a bang-up Crappie bait summer or winter or anytime in between a few jig heads would be helpful too.

RB

Boolit Master
    I would buy bullets. When someone wanted some of them, I would tell them to go get me some fish and they could have a couple. -- Bill --

Boolit Buddy
    Hooks are good but hoop nets trump all for putting fish on the table.
    "Failure to prepare is preparing to fail" - Benjamin Franklin

Moderator Emeritus

A treble hook and a piece of bread can hook a bird also. You have to be resourceful.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

In Remembrance
    There is a reason that there are many sizes and variations of hooks. One would have to know where you are at and what species of fish you have available to answer this question.

Someone answered with hoop nets and they work great, but crab traps work great for catfish and are quicker to run, (easier to hide). lol Not exactly legal though.