RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Cast Boolits Ingot Mold

Boolit Buddy

Put me on list please. I'd prefer the 5# size but I'll take whatever is offered....FRR

Boolit Buddy
    I'm new around here, but I'm a machinist with access to CNC mill, looking at the first pic with logos and such on it, it appears to be machined on a CNC, would aluminium make an acceptable mold ? I can do some checking on price of materials, the mach time I can get cheap (cousin is owner), what would be the best handle ? just a lip to grab with pliers like my old Lyman, or an actual handle, the first option would obviously be cheaper. I can probably run off a couple samples, no problem.

Mods if I'm over stepping, being a newbie here, just let me know

Fred

Boolit Buddy
    I hope you can make this work as you can see the interest is very high. Please keep us posted! I would be interested in several of whatever size you can make. Thanks.

If think just a tab would be fine, as well as the aluminum.

I'd be in for at least one

I'd be in depending on price

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ffries61 View Post
    I'm new around here, but I'm a machinist with access to CNC mill, looking at the first pic with logos and such on it, it appears to be machined on a CNC, would aluminium make an acceptable mold ? I can do some checking on price of materials, the mach time I can get cheap (cousin is owner), what would be the best handle ? just a lip to grab with pliers like my old Lyman, or an actual handle, the first option would obviously be cheaper. I can probably run off a couple samples, no problem.
    Mods if I'm over stepping, being a newbie here, just let me know
    Fred
    Fred,
    welcome to the best casting website on the planet !
    Below is a photo of my aluminum ingot molds. I think a theaded handle is the way to go, it could even be a DIY thing. I would worry about a tab and pliers/vicegrips with an aluminum mold...breaking the tab off.

NOW, I really like the size of ingots this mold produces, but I won't be buying any more of this size since I already have two...and it seems most everyone else wants larger ingots. This mold makes WW alloy ingot about 14 ozs that measure 2.375" x 1.125" and 0.875" deep.

While I said I wouldn't buy any this size, I would consider a couple molds if they were larger like Gear mentioned. about a 2lb ingot...about twice as long as this one. making it about 5" x 1" and about 1" deep.

Thanks for offering to consider making these...that is a big step for a newbie, we're a helpful bunch of casters and would give you some help along the way. ALSO, as previously mentioned to be able to use the cast boolits logo (highly suggested) you will need to discuss that with "Gunload Master" http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...o-Willy-Snyder or "45nut" the site owner. and no doubt they will want a small portion of the payment will go to the site, which is a good thing...as you spend more time here, you will value this site more than any on the interwebs.
    Good Luck,
    Jon

PS, the indentifying engraving on the ingot could be improved. Now it reads
    "WW PB LINO OTHER" I would prefer something more like this "WW PB LINO A B C D E F" the reason is partly for marking batches or in my case, I have several "other" alloys that came from unknown. It's easier to just use a center punch and document what "A" is or what "B" is..and so on.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I cast up about 120 ingots on mine 2 days ago. On reflection the 1 pounders are ok but you probably need 3 or 4 of them (I only have 2) so you aren't waiting around for them to solidify. I'm still up for the larger size 2 or 3 pounders - whichever way this goes.

The handle is the only way to go. I think grabbing an aluminum mold with pliers will wear it out.

I think JonB has good demensions for the mold. 1 to 1.5" square by 5 to 6" long sounds great. would fit most melters and if you have a real small pot it sound like it could be cut fairly easily with a pair of dykes or snips of some kind.

I would like to see 6 to 8 cavities.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Seems obvious there needs to be two sizes. One for the small Lee pots, and one for the bigger pots.

Is there no way to incorporate the Boulette image?

Boolit Buddy
    +1 Hamish. +1 Boulette!

Boolit Buddy
    OK, got the go ahead from site owner for using logo, not sure if I can get the whole logo programmed or may just be the "Cast Boolits" lettering with some other identifiers, will have to see.Hope everyone realizes if I can get these done , it's not gonna happen overnight, lead time could 6-8 weeks ??

I found a source for some factory second wooden handles at good price, no ferrules unfortunately, but a wire wrap or hose clamp should do, I would think, if I can't find correct ferrule, planning on 3/8" mild steel for shank/shaft.

I'm open to 2 sizes of molds, will do a little figuring to see what I can come up with, to see if I can do 2 configurations in same size of material.

Fred

Moderator Emeritus

ffries61,
    A GB (group buy) is no small task.
    Take you time, do it right !

Most of us understand long lead times for a GB.
    8 weeks would be a walk in the park.
    Honestly, lots of those new to Honchoing a GB think a month or two, then the unforseen happens

then it happens again, and again, and again, and we wait a year...most of us will patiently wait a year, as long as it's done right and you communicate your issues...but, a few will grumble and those few will grumble loud.

Again, Take your time, do it right, and most of us will be happy
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I would be in for a couple.
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

I'd be in for a couple of the smaller size for Lee 10 lb. pot......price dependent

Boolit Master

The only complaint I have had on the "original" Castboolit" ingot molds, is the draft on the side-walls was a bit too staight...meaning too perpendicular to the bottom... more draft would be better. The originals worked well for me with purish Pb, but have a tendancy to stick too tightly to WW lead and some high tin alloys. I think a 2 pound version would be great, especially shaped like Gear mentioned. Just a thought.....

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master

I'm fairly indifferent as to the logo that's on my ingots, but I WOULD be interested in a mold that had identifier boxes that could be hit with a stamp set, punch, etc...

In fact, I'd minimize the logo greatly and use most of that space for data blocks. Something like this:

PB________COWW_______RS________
    SN________SOWW_______SHOT______
    SB________LINO________BHN_______
    BLANK_____BLANK_______BLANK_____

That layout would be pretty versatile, allowing the user to simply stamp in an "X" or punchmark, or to get sophisticated with percents, and have blanks for adding things like "ROTO SH"

Placing a small forum logo in one of the corners would let the world know who thought of such a classy thing.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned
    Im in for a small size mould or two.

Boolit Master

So, when the original purchase was done, there were two kinds. The small (almost one pound) and a larger, square one, that was nearly two pounds. I got one of each and I wish I had gotten more.
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast