Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Cast Boolits Ingot Mold

Boolit Master

PA today, hopefully Ca tomorrow!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 762sultan View Post
    Mailman just delivered two molds. I'm melting WW right now and will report after Springfield and JonB make their posts because they are the "official testers" so to speak. Their reviews will carry more weight than mine because I am new to the site.
    I got the molds today !
    They are an excellent looking casting, fairly smooth to the touch, while not as precisionly detailed as the CNC machined 1 lb molds from 2 years ago, they look like they will do a fine job and have that 'artsy' look,

I LIKE 'em !!!

I would have liked to have a way to mount a handle like the 2 year 1 lb molds, but the side tab isn't really thick enough to drill and tap a 5/16 or 3/8 hole for a handle bolt. The casting is a very consistent 1/4" thickness throughout, I suppose that is necessary to make a good quality pour, but that doesn't leave a thick enough tab for a D&T handle mount. I'll just have to get use to using a vise-grip...Hey, I might like that even better?
    ***another thought, I suppose a handle could be deviced so a flattened out area on the 'mount end' of the handle and just bolt it on to the tab via a couple vertically drilled holes on the side tab.

I plan to smelt on saturday, but that depends on the storms-a-coming. they are sayin 4" to 6" of rain in the next 3 to 5 days.

sultan, feel free to post your photos and report anytime you wish.

Here a few closeup photos of the molds I received today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Received the two molds today. Am VERY happy with them. Like the three tabs. Have to use it some to see if a handle would even be useful for me. Will be using them this Saturday for some pure lead-will update.

thanks beta testers.... keep posting pictures and results. I will be in line when these become "officially" available.

Boolit Master

I'm so jealous, mine didn't show yet!

I'm defiantly going to be buying at least 2 of the cast boolits molds when your ready.

I'm hope one of the beta testers will post an image of a cast CB ingot after a smelting session this weekend.

Boolit Buddy

I can't wait until you are ready to go into production my muffin ingots keep getting knocked over. It's time I had a decent ingot mold.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America " for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Boolit Master

I'm really looking forward to the results on this...

I need to do a big smelt session, and have been holding off for a while!

Brandon
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Vendor Sponsor

me too .. got about 500 lbs to do
    would be really good to have some redneck gold .. might even gold paint a few just to mess with people
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    I finished making about 25 ingots from each mold last night. They dropped from the mold rather easily. Their design and size are exactly what I wanted. Ingots average about 2 lbs. and are made to fit a small us postal pkg. for those who wish to mail them. They also fit my casting pot...about 9 ingots to fill it. There was a lot of planning and design work done to make this all happen and I would like to thank BEONE for all his efforts in making this a reality. Job well done!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails molds.jpg   molds close.jpg   bar weight.jpg   shipping box.jpg   box weight.jpg  

lead pot.jpg  

Looks like the rng ingots are cleaner/easier to read than the cb ingots. Is that true or is it just the photography? The lead type labels on the right do not look ledgible. Could this be cleaned up on the molds with a dremel?

Beone, excellent work. You've made a number of us happy.

We should be able to grind away at the molds to sharpen the image shouldn't we?

It appears from the YouTube videos I've watched that it is normal to machine cast objects after they've dropped from the sand. Isn't that right?

Boolit Master
    Yep, as Big Blue alludes to, these are sand castings and not investment castings.

Personally, and for me, the letters could even be gone if that made it simpler.

Good job!!!! I like what I'm seeing!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    Last edited by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot; 06-22-2013 at 06:16 PM.

OK, I'm sold. How much for a couple of the Cast Boolits marked molds shipped to Zip Code 12018?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	74295

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot View Post
    Personally, and for me, the letters could even be gone in that made it simpler.
    I agree with this sentiment.

Thanks for all your efforts.

David
    Last edited by dsbock; 06-22-2013 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
    Cats are fun and magical when you can't smell their poop! Fresh Step!

JPFO; NCOWS; NRA (Life); NYSRPA (Life); SAF, SASS

I'm looking for a shooter grade Smith & Wesson Victory model in .38 Special.

Boolit Buddy
    Used the two new molds today to make 100 soft lead ingots today. These are very well designed-easy to handle with the tabs-just about the right weight to handle easily. All ingots dropped easily-NO hammer needed with these! I have an 8 qt cast iron dutch oven and you can empty it pretty quick with the 2# weight. A lot of thought went into these-I am very happy with them-but-could use at least two more!!!! Job well done-Thank You

Comparing the RNG ingot in post 226 (raised design) with the RNG ingot in post 311 (recessed design) it shows that the original design was much clearer and easier to read. Beone knew what he was doing in the first place.

Any chance we can go back to that raised design instead of the recessed design? I'd like two of each. I'd prefer raised, but as Crusty Deary Ol'Coot and DSbock point out we're not making art here. I'll order two of each, either way.
    Last edited by Big_Blue; 06-22-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Boolit Master

No joy in the mailbox today. I sure hope the USPS didn't lose mine.

Boolit Mold
    Now I am excited. Look to be very nice molds. Anyway to check and see if they are shipped?

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Blue View Post
    Comparing the RNG ingot in post 226 (raised design) with the RNG ingot in post 311 (recessed design) it shows that the original design was much clearer and easier to read. Beone knew what he was doing in the first place.

Any chance we can go back to that raised design instead of the recessed design? I'd like two of each. I'd prefer raised, but as Crusty Deary Ol'Coot and DSbock point out we're not making art here. I'll order two of each, either way.
    I have to agree with you in that, the raised are much clearer.

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast