Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: In stock

Boolit Grand Master

In stock

Federal 325 packs $15.99. Still in stock an hour ago.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Feder...12&WT.tsrc=AFF

Boolit Master

And gone, just a few minutes later.

Boolit Grand Master

Bummer. Well, I was thinking of you anyway.

Boolit Master

If the ads are to be believed, there's a local sale for the grand opening of a sporting goods store, and they've got stock for the sale in a number of brands and loads for perfectly ordinary prices. Of course, it's between paydays (as in, I won't have a dollar to spend for another week), but I've been offered the loan of enough to get the rounds I need (assuming the advertiser actually has them).

Boolit Master

Sigh.

I was assured by the store staff (Gander Mountain, Winston-Salem, NC) that they did in fact have stock on the advertised varieties of .22 LR (Remington Golden Bullet bulk, Federal Champion bulk and 50 round, Winchester collector box bulk, CCI Mini-Mag 1000 rd range box, and a couple others) when they opened this morning -- but that they had people camped outside the store from at least 4:00 AM for a 9:00 opening, and by the time I got there at 3:45 PM (after leaving work early), there wasn't a round of .22 LR other than shot caps. They had plenty of CCI CB shorts, which are fine in my Sentinel Deluxe but pretty useless in a Marlin 795, and lots of .22 WMR, .17 HMR, and .17 Mach II, plus a huge selection of shotshells and a bunch of fairly uncommon ammo (.17 Fireball, .22 Hornet, for instance). Oddly, they had a good selection of .357 Magnum, but the only .38 Special was UMC Lead-Free (copper plated bullets, unleaded primers) and shot caps.

On my way out, the "exit greeters" asked if I'd found everything I was looking for (should have been obvious, I walked empty handed past the registers), which started a short discussion; apparently, they get ammunition weekly, but can't predict when they'll get any .22 LR. They suggested I try back on Saturday mornings, by phone, and ask them to hold back a box for me when they get bulk ammo in (they'll hold it for 24 hours on a phone request, but won't pre-sell).

At least they're not blatantly gouging on prices; their prices are close to what I recall before the panic buying started, if they have anything at all.

Boolit Buddy
    I gave up looking for ammo for now. I have been shooting more cast and less rimfire. The last cci sv I bought were $12.99 per hundred. I can shoot the 9mm cheaper with cast.

Boolit Master

More cast would be great, if I had a semi-auto rifle with detachable magazine that I could shoot cast in, and powder and primers and cases to make up 500 rounds all alike for Appleseed. Unfortunately, I don't own a Garand, M1A, M1 Carbine, or any sort of AR or AK; in fact, I own a grand total of three rifles: a single shot Crosman 160 air rifle (.22, CO2 powered), a Mosin Nagant 91/30 (bolt action, 5 round magazine loaded from stripper clips, already shown to be too slow operating for Appleseed even if not roundly five pounds too heavy to hold steady for dozens of strings per day), and my brand new Marlin 795.

I think I have a line on enough Remington Thunderbolts (from another local shooter) to bring my total on those rounds to the 500 I need; I'm still going to watch for availability at the local retailers, but at this point (since I have no chance to test different brands and loads for best accuracy and function) 500 rounds of any single ammo type is good enough to let me concentrate on my sight upgrades and getting the sling and swivels in time.

Last Sunday morning a friend checked in a local Super wally mart and they had just got in 2 cases of Federal .22s.
    There was a limit of 3 boxes (550 .22s per box).
    He called me and said to beat feet over there and get a couple of boxes, and hurry .
    Luckily my friend talked the counter guy to hold onto 3 boxes till I got there, and he did.
    I was feeling really great, I got the last 3 boxes of .22s thanks to my friend and a nice guy behind the counter.
    When I presented the new clerk that showed up my FOID he said ok then asked me if the .22s were for a hand gun or a rifle.
    I asked him why he needed to know that and he said it was now store policy.
    I never heard of this before, but I'm not really supprised with all the shootings these days.
    So being the butthole I am I lied and told him they were for a rifle

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bbs70 View Post
    So being the butthole I am I lied and told him they were for a rifle
    I tell them "Neither. I'm gonna sit in the driveway and hit 'em with a rock."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bbs70 View Post
    When I presented the new clerk that showed up my FOID he said ok then asked me if the .22s were for a hand gun or a rifle.
    I've heard of this in terms of requiring you to be 21 years old to buy for a handgun (though in fact the Feds don't require this distinction; they consider .22 LR to be rifle ammunition). If Illinois has other restrictions on handgun ammunition sales, retailers may be required to ask this so they can record the sale or apply the restrictions. I think I recall hearing that there were such restrictions (now that I think about it, it was a tax on ammunition), new for the new year, in response to the ongoing violence in parts of Chicago.

You might have committed a crime by giving false information, but the law itself is badly flawed, given that the commonest handgun calibers are all chambered in various carbines or rifles and a number of low-end rifle rounds are chambered in handguns. Further, such a law is predicated on the assumption that criminals will comply with the law...

I forgot to add that the counter guy did say something about having to ask 21 year olds for that info.
    Funny, I'm 65.

Boolit Master

I did the same thing about a year ago with the same question from the clerk. Like a normal person I answered that it was none of his business. He said it was store policy and that he couldn't sell the 22's to me unless I answered the question. I then answered like a normal person, "rifle".

I don't know why they asked me. I'm 61. Maybe I look 21?

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master

Yep, Gander Mountain asked for my date of birth yesterday when I bought two flats of primers (large rifle) -- after giving the information, I told him I'd been old enough to buy rifle ammo for thirty-five years; I could see him take a second to do the arithmetic...