Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything

Thread: Mihec 477 640

Boolit Master

Mihec 477 640

Has anybody out there shot any of them yet? Just got the mold last night. My shop area is a disaster so I doubt I'll be doing any casting for a few weeks.

Boolit Master
    I finally got in a short casting session the other night. Unfortunately my session was cut short just as I was starting to get the mold up to temp and the hang of the mold. I seem to have a hard time of keeping the mold hot enough and not damaging the bullet as it leaves the mold. If I cast quickly for complete fillout, then the bases are getting torn off the part of the bullet base. If I let the bullet cool more so the base doesn't tear, then the mold cools down and I get incomplete fillout. I probably just need to fiddle with the pot temp and get the hang of the mold. I was casting range scrap with 2% tin added.

Comparing the 400 gr .476" hp and 480 round to a 45 acp and 357 mag put things in perspective.

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone else shoot these yet? Bought an overrun from one of the group buys and am curious what is working for everyone.

Going to try to get mine hot this weekend, had it since early in the spring, other stuff keeps getting in the way......

Thinking the Penta HP will at least look like Serious Business in my Ruger Alaskan when it gets here!
    Kevin
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Buddy
    Played with the large hollow point version a few times over the past 2 weeks. Tried some unique and W231. 9.2 grains of unique was very pleasant and very accurate. Played with H110 from 25 grains to 27.7 grains, the 27.7 was slightly hot with some slightly flattened primers.

Mold took about 50 bullets to get going well the first time, second time I was casting perfect bullets after about 5 dumps from cold, fairly impressed. One thing to note is that I didn't water drop these like i normally do due to the hp deforming from contacting the water, need to work on my process. The H110 leaded my barrel at the hot loads. Please note this is the non-GC version i have

Boolit Master
    I did shoot a few of these into some glacial silt to see how they performed. They should have been traveling right at 1200 fps and the noses completely blew off but the resulting wadcutter traveled nearly 24" into the silt. That's pretty good considering a 400gr lfn will travel about 36" into the silt. The hp's I cast up were range scrap with tin added so fairly soft. I'll have to try some ww and tin and see how they perform. I'll also need to get out to the silt before it freezes up for the winter.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by paul h View Post
    I did shoot a few of these into some glacial silt to see how they performed. They should have been traveling right at 1200 fps and the noses completely blew off but the resulting wadcutter traveled nearly 24" into the silt. That's pretty good considering a 400gr lfn will travel about 36" into the silt. The hp's I cast up were range scrap with tin added so fairly soft. I'll have to try some ww and tin and see how they perform. I'll also need to get out to the silt before it freezes up for the winter.
    What did the wadcutter weigh (% retained is fine) after that amount of penetration? That large HP is meant to be used on thinner skinned game... shot broadside to the rib cage. You saw the penetration is more than adequate for shoot thrus like that. Used that way it acts like a Nosler Partition and is the normal performance with excellent results. If you shoot big heavily muscled game that can bite, use the solid or cup HP. More testing would be appreciated.

Boolit Master
    I haven't had a chance to weigh the wadcutter, I'm guessing 275 gr +/- I understand the intent of hp and silt is a very tough testing medium, but I have an endless supply

I got the mold with the intent of using the hp's on deer and caribou, but I'd expect they'd do the trick on moose as well.

Boolit Master
    Here's a picture comparing a 275 gr swc, 400 gr hp with it's nose blown off, and the 400 gr hp.

I think my 275 gr estimate is pretty close. I'll have to cast some up from COWW w/ tin to see if they perform any differently. Considering how tough the silt is, literally powdered rock and water, I don't think the performance was that bad. And a 275-300gr .475" wadcutter can still do some pretty significant damage.

Boolit Buddy
    I asked previously in leverguns forum about Puma 480 loads. Got a lecture ( I already knew the 92 design wasn't a real Winchester), some encouragement, and took the hint that I should give data rather than receive. Unfortunately, the only sizer I have is .475, and some lighter loads keyholed out of my older 6 shot Ruger Alaskan. ( for the lecture folks, I know that it has been offered first in 6 shot, then 5, then 6 again). Leading was troubling at 900 - 1100 fps in the revolver; (this is WW/2%tin. BHN 11; large hp weighs 389 grs., CR lube), so I have an order in to Lathesmith for a .477 sizer. This molds casts .479, and casts and drops like a dream . I've not tried accuracy testing, but the heavier loads in the rifle did not keyhole and seemed good at 150 yards.

In the Alaskan only, 10.7 of Herco gave

hi- 947
    lo- 901
    es- 46
    Av-920
    These keyholed but felt good and not at all high pressure; ejected easily, rounded primers

Next up 18.5 , AA #9, Crimped in groove closest to nose, .475, CR lube, BHN 11, 389gr
    Puma (gives about 300 fps over the Alaskan, with this load)
    Hi - 1405
    Lo - 1381
    ES - 24
    Ave -1341
    SD - 7

Same load in Alaskan, 6 shots ran 1062,1047, 1054, 1035, 1031, 1019 - notice declining velocities after Shot 3, saw slight ( 1/32 in ) inertial backout of bullet

Less leading but still present, easily removed with bronze brush. Substantial recoil in the Alaskan, but rifle with buttpad is tolerable. All of the above were loaded over older WLP primers, which are labeled for both regular and magnum loads; Hornady brass.
    re
    As soon as I get the .477 sizer, will post more about the leading and keyholing. My start data came from Speer*14, and Lee's Modern Relaoding, 2nd edition
    Last edited by denul; 10-21-2013 at 10:22 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Did some more shooting with this one todayClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	96733

I wanted to put more detail into the results posting, because I found that the extra barrel length, as compared to the Alaskan, seemed to improve stability with the improved velocity. Using 10.5 of Herco, and Hornady brass, I got 905 fps from the Alaskan, 964 from the 5.5 SRH, and 1126 fron the Puma. There was no keyholing as before and leading was very minimal, much improved from before. Recoil is very manageable at these velocities; accuracy testing will follow with some slower powders.These were expanding nicely after passing through about 30 inches of frozen wood chips from the 960 fps loads in the SRH; I didn't check expansion or penetration with the faster Puma loads.

Some new variables have come up since my October posting. I used a .477 sizer, and the boolits (390 gr.) have hardened quite a lot, from bhn11-12 to 14-15 on my LBT tester. I also changed lubes to Lars 50-50, just to compare to CR I had been using.

It is also great to learn that Miha still has some 477640 molds available; any 480/475 owners still on the fence ought to grab these.
    Last edited by denul; 02-16-2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Errors

Vendor Sponsor

I have some of this molds on hands. Both PB or GC.
    Send me a PM if you want one
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

I ordered a mold from miha after reading these, thanks for helping me spend my money. Do you think the hp version will expand on a whitetail cast from air cooled ww shot from an 14" encore bbl.

Boolit Master
    The nice thing about this bullet is even if it doesn't expand, it's enough bullet to take any NA game.

As far as expansion from air cooled ww's, what's the velocity from your encore? I'm guessing 1500 fps? Shouldn't be a problem getting expansion, but I'd add some tin to make the bullet more ductile.