Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deer Hunting with a 7.62x39 Norinco Bolt action

Vendor Sponsor

30-06 excellent on any North American game
    -100fps = 7.62x54 a.k.a. .308
    -200fps = 30-30
    -300fps = 7.62x39

As mentioned earlier, you just can't stuff enough powder in that small case to launch a heavy enough boolit hard enough to kill elk sized game reliably. Unless you are really close.

For deer within 100yds, it's fine until you get up into the wide bodied deer that weigh over 160lbs. Years ago I passed on the 7.62x39 because of it's boolit drop and lack of terminal energy beyond 100yds.

Boolit Buddy
    I got to tell you all, this is turning out to be a very informative post. thanx for all the input. I have spent alot of time at the range testing out afew different loads. If you look at the target prints, you can read the results. the circle painted on the home made test paper is a 3" circle. all at 50 yards. the rifle i used was the norinco bolt and not the sks so far. the boolits i used were either the lee 155 gr pointed with a 50/50 lube and alum gas checks. bollits come out of the mold about .309. i either leave these as pointed or slightly flatten the tip. (better accuracy out of the flattened tip) also bought the NOE 155 grain flat tip 4 barrel mold. casts at .3125 and i am thrilled with this mold by the way. the powders are written on the target paper so you can see what the results are. the final 100 yard target is 3 shots with the last pulled slightly low. i can do all inside of 1" at 100 yards. the 4227 powder has given me the best results so far, the 2400 a close second but im thinking that with some work the 1680 could have promising results. all cronying around 1850-1950. I didnt have the crony with me testing the 1680 but could feel a definatly stouter kick. guessing about 2100 fps but needs to be confirmed. im told that the 1680 is the powder that was actually made for the 7.62x39. not sure if true. please look at pix and tell me what you think. next is working some of these loads in the sks.

http://mobth1322.photobucket.com/alb...g?t=1373827081

http://mobth1322.photobucket.com/alb...g?t=1373827147

http://mobth1322.photobucket.com/alb...g?t=1373827176

Boolit Buddy
    im looking at the pix. i did something wrong. Later possibly later today i will try to repost proper pix.

Boolit Buddy
    try these.

let's see how these look.
    Last edited by crackerjack57; 07-14-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Boolit Master
    Unless you are a savy hunter and can get close to your elk, and get proper shot placement, do everyone a favor including the elk, borrow a bigger rifle. Some of the arguments here are very misleading and not really helpful to new shooters/hunters. Sure the X39 only shoots 300fps slower then a 30-06, but the 30-06 slug weighs double. Even the 30/30s 170 grain bullets is quite a step up in power......this round (the 7.62x39) was designed to wound soldiers.

Boolit Master
    DITTO mt chambers ! Paper is not an elk, leave it home and bring enough gun.did anyone mention elk live in bear country.....just a thought.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I have my final load for the 7.62x39 norinco bolt. its using 17.2 gn of 4227 and the 155 gn NOE mold sized to .313 and an aluminum gas check with 50/50 lube. the cronied speed is 1900 fps giving me 1243 ft/lb and when bench rested at 100 yards gives me 1 1/2" groups. this works for me for inside of 100 yards deer.

I had another guy tell me to try the 1680 powder. I bought a pound and did some testing. using the same 155 grain NOE mold I got my best groups at 22 gn of powder. this is with initial testing. I started at 17 gn. I could defiantly feel a stouter recoil. after sending it over the cronie I saw 2090 fps which equals 1504 ft/lb.

for a third test result, this one surprised me. I went to cabela's and they had some ammo which I cant exactly remember but had 3 innitials. I think it was MVS or something like that. It was German stuff. so I bought a box. got a 2" grouping that was very stout with the recoil. when I sent a couple of rounds over the cronie i was shocked to see 2555 fps and a 124 grain bullet giving me 1798 ft lb. not bad for the 7.62 x39 round.

what kind of ft/lb are some of you others getting shooting this round?

Norinco firearms will not win any beauty contest, but they are accurate, well made and reliable firearms. A very good value for the money. The 30 cal short Russian round will produce roughly 30-30 ballistics which made them adequate deer rifles. Choose a cast bullet with a large meplat (flat point), if you don't have one, buy one. Send it into a deer with a MV of 1.5 to 1.8 K fps and if you hit the right spot, you will have a dead deer.

The round is inadequate on elk and should only be used if you are hungry and there is no other rifle available.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 07-30-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Thats kinda what I thought. I already bought a mold from NOE. 155 grain with a large meplat. I am having way better accuracy then with the lee pointed mold at 155 grain that a lot are using. In fact, 1 1/2" at 100 yards. I can live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack57 View Post
    Thats kinda what I thought. I already bought a mold from NOE. 155 grain with a large meplat. I am having way better accuracy then with the lee pointed mold at 155 grain that a lot are using. In fact, 1 1/2" at 100 yards. I can live with that.
    Repeatable, dependable 1.5 MOA accuracy is better than something you can live with. It is very good performance. Go forth and make meat.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I finally was able to go back to the range with the Norinco bolt. I adjusted my scope prior to going to the range so I would be shooting roughly 4" hi at 100y. I was slightly off to the left about 1/2-3/4" which I did not adjust till the last target. #3. I felt that the grouping was great. at least for me. The NOE Bullit mold gives me the best performance. on target #3 there is a comparison using the Lee 155 gn pointed bullit. It just doesn't print as good for me. Let me know what you think.

Tomorrow I will take a picture of only the 3rd page as the quality of the one posted is poor.

see if this is any better...

Last edited by crackerjack57; 08-22-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Well...wheres the meat story? I am interested. Friend shot a six point opening morning - I was in a stand 1/4 mile away and heard two solid thumps as his rounds connected - lots of blood/bone and no deer! He had borrowed an sks from a friend to try it out. He is still scratching his head as to what happened@#$ we tracked that buck for three hours, I have never seen a deer bleed like that and not die then...no more blood and no deer. I am wondering if the 7.62x39 is too weak for the job?
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Repeatable, dependable 1.5 MOA accuracy is better than something you can live with. It is very good performance. Go forth and make meat.
    Let Your mercy, O LORD, be upon us, Just as we hope in You.
    (Psa 33:22)
    “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” -John Adams

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagesportsman View Post
    Well...wheres the meat story? I am interested. Friend shot a six point opening morning - I was in a stand 1/4 mile away and heard two solid thumps as his rounds connected - lots of blood/bone and no deer! He had borrowed an sks from a friend to try it out. He is still scratching his head as to what happened@#$ we tracked that buck for three hours, I have never seen a deer bleed like that and not die then...no more blood and no deer. I am wondering if the 7.62x39 is too weak for the job?
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...deer-with-cast

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagesportsman View Post
    Not my experience. I shot a 5 point buck a couple of weeks ago. Shot him with a Hornday 123 gr SP and the only movement he made was DOWN. DRT!!! What bullet did you use.

Boolit Master
    Well I shot my elk with 1 320g round from my 375 H&H at 280y this year. Broke both shoulders and was not DRT but at least down. My .308 too one at 250 in my friends hands after his scope took a dump. 1 shot kill with Hornady165 interlocks.

I also hauled three more off the mountain Saturday. The .300RUM took three shots in the boiler room, the .300WSM four rounds with two being poor diagonal shots, and the 7mm Rem Mag another three. All elk would have died from shot #1...but when? I don't think you need a magnum but limit yourself to 160g boolit and 100y on elk.

Massive animals that can run off with both lungs punched. The circulatory system is much more able to keep cranking after springing a leak then deer. Any of your cast will kill one with a through and through but will you recover it? If your load can break two elk shoulders then it's a go in my book.

Wanted to add that I've had some experiences since my first post.
    Last edited by NVScouter; 01-06-2014 at 05:19 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by NVScouter View Post
    Well I shot my elk with 1 320g round from my 375 H&H at 280y this year. Broke both shoulders and was not DRT but at least down. My .308 too one at 250 in my friends hands after his scope took a dump. 1 shot kill with Hornady165 interlocks.

I also hauled three more off the mountain Saturday. The .300RUM took three shots in the boiler room, the .300WSM four rounds with two being poor diagonal shots, and the 7mm Rem Mag another three. All elk would have died from shot #1...but when? I don't think you need a magnum but limit yourself to 160g boolit and 100y on elk.

Massive animals that can run off with both lungs punched. The circulatory system is much more able to keep cranking after springing a leak then deer. Any of your cast will kill one with a through and through but will you recover it? If your load can break two elk shoulders then it's a go in my book.

Wanted to add that I've had some experiences since my first post.
    I was taught that regardless of the cartridge you keep hitting an Elk until it is down. I have seen no reason to change that teaching. Nice going with your game guys.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I was taught that regardless of the cartridge you keep hitting an Elk until it is down. I have seen no reason to change that teaching. Nice going with your game guys.
    Good advice. The three elk from this weekend weren't mine I just love going. Some shots were better than other but Murphy's Law needs to be a part of the equation.