WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to design universal Mauser bedding, anyone done this?

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals

Trying to design universal Mauser bedding, anyone done this?

I can make a universal for the recoil lug and front screw.
    The trouble is in the rear.
    I can see how to do all 98s and 94 Swedes with rear action screw slots , but the short length of the 1891 Argentine would require a slot that goes so far forward it will run into after market trigger mechanisms on 98s.

If anyone has done this...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160118_232426.jpg  

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I don't understand the question or concept.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Trying to steel bed a stock so any Mauser will drop in a get a good fit to the recoil lug and rear pillar.

IMO, it's not possible, since machining & forging tolerances over 100 years ago were in no way nearly as close/accurate as modern rifles (post-1962) that rather easily lend themselves to metal bedding block(s).

It just might be fun, however, to prove me wrong............

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

IMO, it's not possible, since machining & forging tolerances over 100 years ago were in no way nearly as close/accurate as modern rifles (post-1962) that rather easily lend themselves to metal bedding block(s).

It just might be fun, however, to prove me wrong............

Not to mention there are at least 48 Mauser variations.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I see the problems. Biggest hurdle I see is the variety of stock screw distances if you could have a "shoe" to bed the action universally to the stock. But that may be another case of canned worms.
    Be safe
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master
    Do these 1pc metal inletting things produce better results than a properly bedded action? Often wondered about that?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

even something as simple as a rem 700 has enough tolerance variation that all these wonderful bedding blocks still really need to be glass bedded for best accuracy. a universal mauser bedding block is never going to shoot well across the board with different actions.

Boolit Buddy
    I would not attempt that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1903 Turk Mausers 308 Hart barrel universal 98 Mauser bedding experiment with oval holes in fron.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	159301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1903 Turk Mausers 308 Hart barrel universal 98 Mauser bedding experiment with Devcon Steel putty.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	159302

I got one running, but it only fits 98 Mausers. I have 10 different kinds of Mausers taken apart on the bench right now and it is a real mess.

Shove a tight fitting pin gauge in the forward mauser action screw hole.Measure from rear of lug to far side of pin gauge
    Subtract off half of pin gauge diameter.

La Coruna1954 98 Mauser 0.211" pin gauge, 0.312" distance measured, 0.2065" calculated
    1903 turk, .197, .308, 0.2095"
    Dumoulin, .203, .300, 0.1985"
    BRNO VZ24, .192, .300, 0.2040"
    1908 Brazil, .195, .303, 0.2055"
    Zavista PH .216, .305, 0.1970"
    Swastikas .199, .314, 0.2145"
    Nazi 1940 J.P. Sauer .199 .309, 0.2095"
    1918 Oberndorf .195 .311, 0.2135"
    La Coruna 2006 .214, .321, 0.214

1938 Turk .203, .290, 0.1885
    Husqvarna [FN] 203, .318, 0.2165"

Any recoil lug will fit now.
    I need to make a slotted rear pillar that will accommodate the 1894 and 1891 lengths.

Boolit Master
    CLark -

Howdy !

Can you go w/ a modified "V"-block set-up ?

With regards,
    357Mag

Name:	5 pound walnut Mauser stock 1-28-2016.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	159400No.
    I do sort of a V block for round bottoms. I make a pillar with a concave radius smaller than the reciver, but not so small the action screws can't snug up at the bottom of the receiver. The V block is a force multiplier on a cylinder, but it only touches on two lines, and things besides Vs can touch there.

After years of making pillars that go around the stock pillar in Mauser bottom metal, I am making a 0.150" thick block epoxied to the stock that the receiver and bottom metal clamp against. The receiver touches on the bottom of the recoil lug. The bottom metal touches with the top of the stock pillar.

I knew I wanted that for a long time, but could not figure out how to get the back of the recoil lug flush with the block. I am now making a dummy front pillar. It can get pounded out without prying. I go through the top.

The results are not perfect. I want a long sustained exponentially decaying sinusoid when I grasp the rifle at the wrist with one hand a smack the barrel with the other. Right now the sustain is only one second. I need to attach a microphone and scope so I can troubleshoot or improve. I have got better sustain in the past with epoxy bedding touching the receiver. I cannot do that for a "drop any barrelled receiver in here" stock.

If i can get this working right... I need more sustain... I need to also fit Swedes and 1891s.

Problems like this are interesting. Perhaps the solution involves a full length bedding insert with a tapered pocket at rear into which fit smaller dedicated inserts for each action length. The main insert beds the lug, and its pocket at rear has a taper at the forward end so the smaller rear insert is drawn slightly rearward as the rear stock screw is tightened. I am not looking at a Mauser stock now so might be describing an impossibility. But do suspect the answer will not be a one-piece unit. It will need adjustment, and probably some form of inclined plane to take up any slack in the adjustment.

Boolit Master
    As long as they still make epoxy, why bother. One size fits all after it hardens.

I made another one tonight. I think I have found why I was not getting enough sustain when I smacked the barrel like a tuning fork. The bottom metal was touching the wood.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Universal Mauser steel bed front 2-13-2016.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

"Mausers" means any one of four entirely different designs, made in at least a dozen different
    factories over at least 40-50 years to the specifications of 20-30 governments or more. Some of
    the basic parts are 'fairly' interchangeable, but I think this is like making an engine mount which
    will work for all Chevys.........from 1936 to 2009. Not going to be possible, is my bet.

Oh, yes, there are also at least 2 or 3 different commercial makers out there, too, for civilian
    models. Oberndorf, FN, Lowe and DWM, later Mauserwerke -- I think they all made commercial
    versions to one degree or another.

Concentrate on one design, like the Mauser 98 and one ring size, like large ring and you MIGHT
    have a chance. Large ring 98 Mausers are likely to vary somewhat, but just MAYBE a whole
    bunch will be close enough to do you some good.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Name:	Mauser steel bedding front pillar seat and recoil lug Drawing 2-5-2016.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	162850Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mauser steel bedding front pillar seat and recoil lug anchor b 2-5-2016.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	162851Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mauser steel bedding  2-5-2016.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	162852

I am still at it. I have re bed 6 Mausers.

Name:	257RAI Lothar Walther VZ24 spring detent steel bedding 3-12-2016.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	163408

7 Mausers

Name:	Steel bed Mauser VZ24 Parker Hale 300 Win mag Black Walnut 3-16-2016.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	163794

8 Mausers

9 Mausers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VZ24 260 Douglas brownells steel bed b 3-22-2016.jpg   VZ24 260 Douglas brownells steel bed 3-22-2016.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast