MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners Load Data

Thread: A few knives, lots of pictures.

A few knives, lots of pictures.

I was a newbie closet knifemaker for a bit, just thought I would throw up a few pics of stuff I played with. I learned enough to say what not to do, but can't say that I could tell you how to do it right...

First knife I did, purchased the blade, did up the handle and sheath. Went to a friend who kept asking me to cut a tiny hook in the tip for skinning fox tails.

First blade from scratch, tried to straighten it when it was full hard... Was 5/16 thick and 10" or so long blade.

First knife from scratch that lived. Heat treat wasn't great, came out kind of soft.

Next one that lived. Did a Scandi grind and tried to do file work, file work looked like my first try... Bevel isn't that hot either, but the heat treat was solid. I used it for a while, then gave it to a good kid.

Here is a little wharncliffe that turned out pretty good. Scratched up the patina on the other side a bit sharpening it on a belt sander..., told you I know what not to do now... Was not a good shape to carry, so gave it to a lady who keeps it in her desk drawer for opening mail and odd jobs.

Here is the last one I did, has been quite a while since I did it, was made to sit in a tool pocket on work pants. I used this one a little, then moved on. A while back, I spent hours looking for a knife to purchase that was slim and light, with a good sized blade, and when I couldn't find one, realized I had already built one and it was sitting in a box...

Anyway, you get the idea. Figured everyone loves pictures and seeing other peoples mistakes... I don't do these much anymore, the blade was fairly time consuming with the 'state of the Ark' technology I was using... that and I wasn't very good at it... Now I buy a blade on a rare occasion and put a handle and sheath together for it. Gives me a way to put 6-7hrs and $90 into a $70 knife!

This was one I put together for a friend. The blade looks good because I am not the one that made it... No good picture of the sheath. 52100 steel blade, stabilized maple burl. The guys wife asked me to build him a custom knife, but she had somewhat limited funds and I had very limited time, so I just ordered a blade and some handle materials and did up something a bit interesting. Really liked that blade, I wished I had more hours to put into it. Also wish I was able to get stainless rivets at the time...

Last edited by Any Cal.; 02-05-2013 at 05:17 AM.

In Remembrance

Nice looking efforts no matter what anybody else thinks. I made a few that wouldn`t set anybody`s heart to thumpin. To make a knife blade from raw steel you first remove all excess steel that doesn`t look like a knife!Robert

Nice !

Boolit Master
    I think they look great! I really like that antler handle one and the one for the workpants. But I am a "Function" kind of guy.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Nice! I have made one knife so far out of a file. I messed up the heat treat though because it snapped. I have 2 more old files and I intend to have another go at it sometime.

Boolit Master

Those are nice,toying with the knife making idea myself.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Thanks for the comments. Here is one more I just did, the nicest knife I have ever attempted. Purchased the blade blank for this one also. Took a bunch of pics, so will start another build-up thread.

Boolit Bub
    Beautiful knifes well done

Boolit Master
    Your first knife reminds me of a knife I made, Any Cal. except yours is much nicer looking. Mine is kinda crude by comparison, but the blade was cut out of a wide power hacksaw blade. The rest of your knives certainly look very well made.