Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: bullet.....booliet trap

Boolit Buddy

bullet.....booliet trap

So im looking at having a booliet trap made. Would a half inch steal at and angel be able to deflect 30 cals at about 75 yards. Id say no more than 1800 fps at max vel. Thanks

30 Cal lead. yes half inch will stop it at that velocity. Not sure about the long term life of the plate. Put the plate at 45 degrees and a mound of soft sand under it and slightly in front of it. if you go steeper than 45 degrees the boolits will tend to goto the bottom back corner. too shallow of an angle increases bounceback likelyhood. I have a setup like this and have shot 1000s of round of jacketed bullets at it without much issue. Until a friend of mine brought his 300 win mag loaded with 147 Grain military penetrators. That dented the **** out of my backstop so now I get some odd bounces depending on where in the dent it hits.

Never would have guessed that word for excrement and not the s word would kick in the censors

This is a good bullet trap design that will keep them where you can get to them for re casting and shooting again and again.

If it was me I would scale it down so ti had a 12in x 12in opening because that would decrease the amount and especially the weight of the trap and allow it to be shifted a little more easily - and an aprox 1ftx1ft target opening should be enough for any shooter to hit. Turn all measurments into inches and multiply by 45%. It could be made to have a target holder on the front quite easily.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Boolit Mold
    I like that design..Thanks

Von Gruff, how does that hold up to jacketed centerfire rifle rounds?

I have been thinking about building one similar to yours just larger, like the one below. Seems like a direct hit would damage or penetrate the "snail".?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0762.jpg   IMAG0761.jpg  

I havent used the design yet but will be having one made in the next few weeks although it will only be used for my cast bullets.
    Von Gruff.

Around 2,000fps, even lead starts to take a divot out of 45 degree mild steel. At 1,800 or below, you should be fine with normal mixes of cast.

The subject of traps has been discussed quite a bit.

This somehow got split into two different threads somewhere about 3/4 of the way through, but either version has a ton of info.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...recycling-lead

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ed-help-please
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Jim I have to think that the 45 degree angle is too steep and if it is flatened to similar to that on the plans then it should negate the divoting almost entirely. I did just flick through the threads you noted and saw the original plans posted and should have noted the poster so due credit could be given. I saved the pics when they were first posted without noting the author so apolagies are due him.
    Von Gruff.

Boolit Grand Master

Please keep this thread going with test results. Very interesting!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

If you are looking for something you can do on the cheap, 44man uses an old 55 gallon drum filled with rubber mulch. According to what I just looked up, you would need about 7 to 8 cu. ft. to fill the drum.

I don't know how it will work for rifle rounds but works fairly well for some of the heavy handgun calibers he uses.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I use sand. Cast boolits stay intact. It's amazing how little they actually penetrate sand.

If you look towards the end of the threads that I listed, you will find my least expensive trap that worked well. It's a 5-galon plastic bucket filled with rubber mulch with a 10" diameter steel plate at the bottom. The whole thing cost less than $25 & is good for most pistol rounds. If you put a thin metal collar around the inside of the base, you can get a little feistier with the ammo. If you put two buckets in a row, with only the second one having the back up plate, then you can stop most rifle rounds.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

I use 2 1/2'-3' diameter blocks of cottonwood. I imagine any hardwood would work. I think pine might just split.
    I just staple targets to it and shoot.
    When it gets too shot up, I split it up and get my boolits back.

My pistol block needs replacing right now. It must have 300lbs of lead in it. Its so shot up, boolits are rolling out on the ground every time I shoot.

Boolit Master
    If only I lived in the country I would have to undertake this project as well.