RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Ruger No 1 that will be a cast boolit gun

Banned

Latest Ruger No 1 that will be a cast boolit gun

What I'm saying is who would actually shoot a 10 pound 450 Nitro #2 (3 & 1/2") with the 600 grs Barnes Originals that came with it ?

Old fool sucked in by another Ruger No. 1 with wood no current one carries.

But will be fun with cast boolits and some 45-70 BP or smokeless loads.

Now wearing a NIB Unertl Hawk from my Unertl collection.

(was a 1976 458 WinMag converted by SSK)

Boolit Master
    Nice furniture for sure.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

im bettin that bugger will take a bit more then 70 grains bp. i have a 45-120 SS and it is a very large hoot with a 4 to 500 grain boolit... or... a patched boolit and 110 to 120 grains of bp.

cool aquasition...report your shooting fun and details with this beutifull rifle please.

Boolit Master

Beautiful gun. Beautiful wood, really. Congrats. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Nice rifle, gorgeous furniture !!

Banned

thats a beaut!! Even if i didnt want something that big i would have bought that one just to scarf the stock.

is it just me, or does that scope resemble a scalpel about ready to surgically remove an eyeball?

sheesh, even on my 270, I have mine 3" more forward.

How would you load that thing?
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Master
    WOW, what a butt stock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, good cast boolet gun.

As nanuk indicated, that scope looks a bit far back to me.

Now, beautiful as this rifle is, get rid of that ugly for end groove and replace it with a good hunk of ebony or contrasting an figured walnut.

Cut in tight behind the groove at a 45 degree angle and then install the new tip and your rifle will look like the true classic it is.

Been there and done that as I just don't do Alexander Henry forends!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Banned
    As for eye relief, here's my 300 H&H w/6X Leupold. Note relation of eyepiece on it and 450 to back of lever.

Besides which it will never see any loads that kick more than a 45-70. Never been bit and I wear glasses

As for AH forends, I like them and I have yet to see any classic rifle that did have horn or ebony ever installed any way but at 90 degrees. 45 degrees ? It a'int a Weatherby. You might want to look at Winfer's 6 volumes on British Single Shots and find one with a 45 degree horn or ebony tip. (Full disclosure a very close friend edited them and did much of the photography)

Examples of proper ebony forend tips (the Ruger RSM's is a bit shorter than it should be)
    Last edited by Mr Humble; 02-06-2013 at 01:41 AM.

Boolit Master
    Well, Looked at the first #1 I had with the ugly forend groove, and it took awhile before I figured out how to solve, "the problem."

90 degree or 45 degree, the forend tip is a huge improvement to a bad situation.

However, with the 90 degree, it would shorten the forend too much, plus crowding or cutting back into the checkering which would mean a complete redo and change in the checkering pattern.

The 45 degree angle presents no such problems.

With this treatment, the rifle retains it's slender and light forend, which I personally like better then the #1"B" beaver tail style.

Being hung up on the 45 degree or 90 degree just because Weatherby used the 45, is about like my friend that hates any cartridge, no matter how good, if it has a belted case.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Banned
    Not hung up on 45 because of Weatherby. IMHO it's ugly. Try and find a classic English single shot with one. Lots had 90s lots had had AH fore ends. You really need to buy Winfer's books.

Agree the 1B is a pig. The 300 H&H was a 1B but I found the beautiful AH fore end on Ebay from Canada NIB.

I can't imagine that High Wall 300 flanged (last photo bottom) with a 45 degree tip. That would make Hillary look hot.

Your friend probably has a case of DNS about belted cases. See if he knows why H&H invented them......... (I know)

Boolit Master
    Oh my, I can see it all now, we will run on to 25 pages, 437 posts, about what is and what is not a "classic".

Ctust Deary Ol'Coot

Banned
    Not really, there is no question of what a classic British single shot looks like. IF you has Winfer's books, you'ld stop trying to make a case for Holland and Hollands designed in South Beach. Let's us poor fools see a photo of the Bee-oot-ti-ful No.1 with the Weatherby fore end. It is certainly "one of a kind" !

Here's another British wanna be No. 1 in 458 WRA with a new barrel and all new, if a bit odd, wood. They did get the fore end tip correct !

Boolit Master
    Well ya know,

I simply am not trying to down play the quality of the 90 Degree cut for a forend tip. and every one I've done since the Herters build back in the 60s has been done that way except for these RUGERs with the ugly Alexander Henry forend..

However, there was simply no way to do that with the RUGER forend without a complete redo of the forend OR a new piece of wood.

Wasn't going to happen!

And in spite of all the books written and all the thousands of stocks tipped at a true 90degrees, my modified RUGER forends are no less classic and well done.

So clearly this is one place where we must agree to disagree.

To say that a rifle that is not tipped at 90degrees is not or cannot be a "classic" is no different then the person who says that a 300 Win Mag, or a 7mm Mag etc. etc, is not a good cartridge, simply because of the belt on the case.

Personal opinion, having little to do with reality. Does the cartridge perform or not. Is the tip well done and the finished product fitting to the application or not.

AS said, must agree to disagree as we both are dealing with personal opinion here.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

PS and I'd be glad to post images if I had a 4 year old to help me. Can send them by "E", but have never been able to get anything posted to a forum.

And just to clearify things, tipping the RUGERS in the only way possible without a complete redo was no attempt to copy Weatherby.

CDOC
    Last edited by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot; 02-07-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Boolit Master
    Has anyone ever seen a #1 rebarreled and chambered to .461 Gibbs?

Boolit Mold
    Nce rifle!

Banned
    I am gonna be 71 in May and have been in the MacWorld since the Apple II days. Posting pictures is easy. Just go to www.photobucket.com and RTFI.
    Digital cameras cost a lot less than an ugly Weatherby fore end tip, so I assume you can afford one. (If not Winfer's books).
    Really would love to see it as it has to be a poster child for what not to do to a No. 1.
    Really would look even better using Bakelite and some of those nifty white line spacers with the red lightening bolts in them and lets not forget a couple of orange and black 3x1 inch diamond inlays in the buttstock as well.

Model 70 Super Grade also done correctly:

two more correct No. 1s ........ 7x57 and 375 H&H.

Boolit Master
    Yep, nice rifles!!!!!

Send me a PM with your personal "E" address and I can get images sent your way.

I have a Nikon D200 digital SLR, so making the images is not an issue. Just how big do you want that fly?

But, as said, I need a 4 year old to help me with pooter stuff.

No matter what the directions I've rec'd or the links I've followed.

It likely has something to do with image size. And being an ol'burnt out professional photograper, I am about image quality like you are about forends and Weatherbys.

Just can't bring myself to lower my image quality/size to get it to post.

I'm sure there is a way, but as said, no 4 year old to help.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    "That would make Hillary look hot."

Now that was downright uncalled for. Ugh, what a mental image!
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Master
    Billery or Polose make a ugo look hot!

CDOC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast