MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Vests, hunting or otherwise!

Boolit Grand Master

Vests, hunting or otherwise!

I probably have a half dozen or more vests. Canvas w/pouch and shell holders for upland game, a cotton one with cargo type pockets and shell holders for Africa (and have done my last African hunt), and others of various sizes and uses. Have has two with me on a sheep hunt in the Brooks Range in Alaska both down filled and stuff bag size for carry, convenience and in case one got wet. Great thing down: until it gets wet then is is about useless. When I am in the thrift stores, I am kind of drawn to the used vest areas. Some great buys, and you find a lot of different vests with lots of different uses. Found a sheepskin one a couple of years ago for $4.00. What a deal, as it is good enough for fairly cool weather over a flannel shirt. I like vests and wear them year round. They allow my arms to be free from extra material, and are great for shooting. I like lite weight denium ones for shooting at the range, and for bench shooting prairie dogs, as they hold glasses, pens/pencils, ear plugs and and assortment of little necessities. I don't fish, but have a used fishing vest just because it was used and cheap and I might just need it----maybe.
    So here is to the guy who first ripped the sleeves off a shirt. AND look what Larry the Cable guy has done for the sleeveless look!
    1Shirt
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Grand Master

I like vests also. Have a heavy lined sued leather one for cold weather. What I like about it is in A.M. when cold you can zip it up and be warm. Later , when it warms just unzip and it's not too hot to wear. Got a good inside pocket that fits my J-frame S&W perfectly. Would like to get a few more in lighter weight but makers charge too much . Stick that " TACTICAL " word on it adds 100 bucks to cost. What I really find useful are the pockets. Seems like the older I get the more stuff I carry and my jeans only have so many pockets and when I got everything my pants want to get pulled down. Vest pockets are ideal for carrying a lot of odds and ends.
    Gary
    Going to take 1Shirt's advice and start checking out the thrift stores. Thanks 1Shirt.

Boolit Master

I like vests too.
    Why do they cost as much or more than a jacket?
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    I like vests too.
    Why do they cost as much or more than a jacket?
    Because you have to pay someone to cut all those sleeves off the jackets to make vests? lol

In Remembrance
    I am the other way around. I have had some nice ones over the years given to me as presents. I do not recall ever buying one or wearing one over just a handfull of times except for the old hunting vests with the game pockets. My arms get cold long before my body does, hardly ever button a shirt all the way or zip a coat all the way.

Boolit Buddy
    I do like a vest. Warm, yet when the thermometer rises, can be opened for ventilation. Works well under a jacket/ coat when the mercury drops, without a lot of bulk. Extra pockets are always a bonus.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a nice wool one I hunt in, a Carhart one issued from work and a down one I wear when I cover up my company's logo if I wonder into a shop. I think they are a good way to layer as my arms can get too fat for coat sleeves otherwise.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I'm like Starmac; my arms get cold. I wish I could use them more but they just don't work for me. If it's warm I don't want one, if it's cold they aren't warm enough. The only exception is a "journalist" vest I sometimes wear to carry concealed. A small pistol (Walther PPK) is fairly easy to conceal but a full-sized 1911 is harder so a long vest works well. And all those pockets are handy. Have always wanted a good leather vest but no more than I'd use it I couldn't justify the cost.

Got on of those fancy ones for flyfishing but after a day on the river it makes my back and neck sore if I carry much. Prefer the fanny pack or back pack. Cargo pants and suspenders work for the small stuff. The game vest makes sense for open field birding. Do they have a shoulder pad for safari style carry?

In Remembrance

When I was "packin" pipewrenches as an plumber I wore 2 different style Carhart vests. One I tore the blanket lining out of so it was just the canvas I was wearing. The other vest had a shearling type lining for cool to cold weather wearing. In over 35 + years on trade I believe I only really wore out about 5 -6 of those canvas vests, still have the last shearling vest that I bought back in the mid `90`s.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I like vest as they are not as restrictive as coats.I have the barrel chested broad shoulder build.No matter how large I buy to fit a coat it is to small when I'm active.As long as my chest is warm seems so are my arms.I under stand the down filled problem with wet vest.I only owned one.I realized the cheap wool lined ones worked better.Levi used to use real wool liners in jackets,and vest.I actually buy Carhart now lined to only take the liner out,and have a seamstress cut,and sew a wool blanket in.If I need it camouflaged I strip liner out first and paint the vest as needed,I wash and take vest to Seamstress.
    Attachment 75882
    Levi lamb wool liner no longer made.Me,and I am not left handed.Right arm was tore off in Sept 76.So was training with a Colt 1911 in 9mm.Just east of El Paso as rehab was at Military Hospital there.
    Knowledge shall forever govern ignorance!

I see what I am hunting just coming off the "GRILL"!

It is not a measure of moral health to be well adjusted in a sick society!
    Jules

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I've a couple too . A small game vest 1ea green and orange. I've a down vest w/'shearling' collar and a 'dry' outer shell.I like it w/flannel/shami shirts and thermals down to about 32-5* and then w/an insulated shirt or light jacket down to 25 or so , moving working of course. It's nice for the day pack being in country that'll have ya sweating in the truck freezing on the ridge and soaked to the bone before you get back to the truck.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I have a couple of cargo type vests and a hunting vest. But come cold weather the only vest I wear is one of the big universal fit blaze orange things for $6.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Boolit Master
    I have 3 vests, red, camo, and brown. Brown one is an old canvas hunting vest with a pocket in the back. No orange on it. Good for small game hunting if the weather is in the 50's or better. the other two are nylon, with polyfill insulation. I wear them as an addition to my hunting coats, if windy or temps drop down below 30 F. I do like the extra pockets in them.

Perma-Banned

I just picked up a nice carhart one for working around the property.

Boolit Mold
    I dress western style and have worn vests for over twenty years. I would be lost without the extra pockets. I did have to stop wearing the cargo vests though, after I weighed my favorite one day and found that it weighed 18 pounds, what with all the extras it had accumulated.

I've always had Carhart vests and heavy lined shirts.
    Was looking at a real nice Filson today. Figured I could use it for fancy going to town. For no more than I go to town, it would out last the grandkids.

Boolit Bub
    Vests are definitely a handy thing to have for hunting

I have several vest also: 1 Carhartt, 2 FIlson, and would have more but they cost a lot. The wool filson is nice, stylish, and wears well. I have another Filson oil skin with game bag; it is nice and has alot of pockets. The Carhart is my work horse, with big side pockets, cloth collar feels nice on the especially in cold weather. The pockets hold a lot of gear. Like my guns, I bought my vests before I got married.....funny how that goes.
    Thanks
    Ivan

Number #513

Yeah I figured it out. It would not be ALASKA……... unless it was the absolutely the toughest it could be and worst possible case scenario!