Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: 311413 in the 300 Blackout??

Boolit Buddy

311413 in the 300 Blackout??

Anyone tried the Lyman 311413 in the 300 BLK?? Success/Failure stories?? Loads?? With the spitzer design is should feed well and the 300 BLK doesn't push anything too hard, speed wise. About the only drawback I can see would be twist rate, which everyone deals with with the 300 BLK. I did a search and didn't see anyone talking about it, so I thought I would start a thread and see where it goes. I have a couple older 311413 single cavity molds and one throws a .314 with COWW, the other about .312 with the same alloy. I plan on trying the .312 mold. Thanks in advance!

Boolit Grand Master

The 413 is a good boolit at 1700 fps, but I have not felt the need to push it harder - in other
    .30 cal cartridges, not the BLK.
    Reports are that accy falls apart somewhere above that. Since the BLK won't push a 170 gr a whole
    heck of a lot faster than that, if at all, you may be onto a good match.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy

That's kinda what I was thinking too. The diminutive 300 BLK shouldn't push that 170 gr bullet much beyond it's best performing velocities and it should feed well too. I'll load a few up and see what happens. In the meantime, if anyone else has experience, let me know. Thanks again!!

What twist are we talking about with the BLK? I know my Belding & Mull version of the 413 likes about 1600fps tops, for best accuracy out of the 1/10 rifles I shoot it from. But when it's at or a bit below that speed, shooting golf balls at 100yd and hitting them pretty regularly is the norm. I don't know if more spin would make it better or worse as I haven't yet figured out just why the bullet doesn't like to go faster. Harder alloys and slower powders don't seem to help any. The rpm at 1600fps out of a 1/10 barrel is 115200. That could help you determine what speed to first try for with your twist. RPM=MV* 720/twist rate (in inches). So, 115200=X*720/7, X would equal 1120fps which should be easy enough for you to get without too much pressure.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 05-22-2013 at 12:05 AM.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

Let me clarify. At an ESTIMATED 1700 fps. Have not chronoed, so it could easily be 1600 fps.

Bill

Boolit Buddy

Actually, I was hoping to get a 1-8" twist in the 300 BLK, but ended up with a 1-7". So that's why I'm hoping I don't spin it too fast. We'll find out if they like that tighter twist rate. I'm thinking of trying something in the neighborhood of 15-1600 fps. What do you guys think about powder choice? 2400?? 4227? AA1680? I got quite a few choices, so open the gates on recommendations.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy

Ooooh. Yes it does look interesting. I think one of mine might be a candidate for HP'ing. Eric does awesome work. I got a HP pin from him a couple years ago for an old Ideal 358439 and had him fix up a 429215 that was struggling. Both work awesome now. Thanks for the idea!!

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I will be looking forward to hearing how the 413 does, I'm thinking of building a BLK myself.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

I'd go with as slow a powder as you can, to keep the pressure down, maybe something even slower than what you'd normally consider for the round. 12.6gr of 2015 or similar burn rate powder would yield around 1050fps. 18.8gr of the same burn rate powder would get you in the 1600-1700fps range. 8.0gr of 2400 would give you around 1068fps, I don't know where you'd get by working up from there. I really don't think it's going to like being spun faster than what I figured above. I think that'll be your best accuracy level. But who knows, give it a spin and report back, we might learn something from it. I've shot 6mm bullets in a quicker twist than what was supposed to work at the velocities I was going, but I was using a very hard alloy.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

2400 would be where I started.

Bill

Boolit Buddy

Well, I should have the opportunity to play with it a little this weekend. I'll go with some test loads using2400 and some slower stuff as well. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Boolit Master

H110/W296 is what I use for supers in 300 BO.