Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: multi-purpose mold

Boolit Master

multi-purpose mold

A new C/B site calls for a introduction: Hello fellow casters. I'm please to be here.
    I was directed to this site by Mr. Nelson of NOE molds with the assurance. "You fellows have all the answers."
    I was browsing NOE product pages tonight in hopes to place an order for a mold. But there are so many molds available with so many different profiles that may or may not work for my application. I started to wonder if my selection was correct. (In other words I was beginning to second guess myself.) Well here's my question Sir's. I have three rifles requiring a single cast that will work in all of them? So to speak a universal mold. I'm pretty sure the mold chosen requires a cast weight up around 180-gr. or so. Being of FP G/C design is indeed preferred because of a couple rifles having tubular magazines. The three rifles I have needing a single all around cast for hunting purposes are:

1. Win Model 94 pre -64-- 30-30
    2. Marlin Model 36 flat bolt-- 30-30
    3. Savage model 99-- 300 Savage.

I do have the ability to re-size and lube here. So which ever NOE mold # is deemed to fit my application. I can indeed re-size it to whatever diameter (with in reason) is acceptable for each rifles individual bore size. So gents of all the molds NOE offers. Which (one) mold from NOE would work best for me? thanks for all your input before hand.

O/M

Boolit Master
    Look into the Ideal 308291/Lyman 311291 (I don't know it NOE makes a clone). My pre-'64 Model 94, an '03-A3, and a K31 love it. If I remember correctly, Ideal designed it specifically for the Model 1894/94.

Banned

the shorter neck on the 300 savage poses a little problem.
    if i had to take a guess something more in the 150-160 weight range is where i'd go.
    i'd try something similar to the rcbs 30-150-fngc.
    sized to 310.
    it's been the most utilitarian 30 caliber boolit i have, from the 30-30 leverguns and bolt guns to the 30-06.

Slug the bores on all three rifles should give you a good idea of size required.

Boolit Master
    All three posts are spot on. But, when I look up these different molds manufactures advertizements (Lyman & RCBS) they all say 309 dia. If the mold drops at 309. How can I squeeze 310-311 out of it?~~confusing to me.

Never slugged a barrel before Sav300. Haven't a clue how its done Sir.

Boolit Master

NOE has a 311165 on his website. He only has one 4 cavity left. It was designed specifically for lever guns by a member here.

http://noebulletmolds.com/orders/catalog/index.php?cPath=30

Second to last one on the page.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Super Moderator

..............Overmax, the numbers stamped on a set of mould blocks, having to do with it's OD should be taken as ........... a guideline? Especially cherry cut blocks. Manufacturers spec their 'Supposed' OD on a particular alloy. If you wander too far afield of what their spec'd alloy is, will yield a smaller or larger as cast diameter. Factor in mould temp, and alloy temp and the diameters can vary from this also. Better to have a mould that drops a bit larger then one that is too small. If I could have only one 30 cal mould it would probably be the Lyman 311291.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master

I agree, slug all your barrels. You can do a search here and find all the info you need. They buy a mold that will be big enough for your largest bore, typically the Marlin, especially if it is a microgrove barrel. Then investigate sizing that boolit to fit the rest of your guns.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

The 311466 works great in the 300 Savage.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master
    Appreciate all the help pdawg_shooter. 311466 Lyman's looks to be a EBay special. (no longer made) Looked like a pretty decent G/C bullet for the 300 like you said. (Listed in my copy of OL' Buffalo Bullet Mold tables.) That's to bad its history now.

And buckshot I found that info interesting. Hear I always thought differently about those mold drop measurements. Never accrued to me they could possibly drop larger than what was advertized. Huh- After all these years see I'm still learn'en. lol

Sav300 & Wayne Smith: I intend to look up in C/Bs file library how to slug and what alloy to use. I wonder if the wife will let me get by with using her stove.~~ Hm~~Second thought I better not. Looks like cold day out in the garage for me to accomplish this one no doubt.

Thanks for all those tips fellers.

The 311466 is one of my must have 30cal molds, along with 311041, and 311284. These cover all my 30 and 31 cal needs.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't advise using the 311466 in your Model 94, as it's nose is too pointy, unless you load it single shot.

Dont know about a 94 but I have used it in half dozen 336 Marlins over the years. Np problem. Tried to pop a primer in a case held in a vice with a 311466 bullet and a hammer. Just ending up mashing the bullet.

Boolit Master
    pdawg_shooter: Looks like your pretty well got all your bases covered with all those molds.

462 said:
    I wouldn't advise using the 311466 in your Model 94,
    You may just be right about that one. Cast does seem to be a little elongated doesn't it.

Boolit Master
    I don't think you could beat their version of Lyman's 31041 or todays 311041, it's a 173 gr. fp gc.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm with MT Chambers. I've got an old Lyman 31141 that casts at 0.310" to 0.311". It shoots well in my .308 Mauser and also in a friend's Savage .308. Never shot it in a .30-30 though!

That boolit was originally designed for the lever action .30-30. It is 170 gr.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    There seems to be allot of write up on C/B about two 30 cal. molds in particular. This Lyman 311041 and their 311291. Although the 291 is a round nose bullet it seems it still works well in a tube magazine. Both are highly recommended. I really wanted to try a NOE mold. But their waiting period is just a spoiler for me. (6 months) I'm not to sure if there's a Group Buy going on for em either? For the time being I'll have to order a Lyman and make due with what I can get. Perhaps send the Lyman out to someone and have one cavity HP'ed. We'll see.

O/M