WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: New 30-06 caster in need of mold advice

Boolit Buddy

New 30-06 caster in need of mold advice

I am in need of guidance when it comes to which mold to buy. The gun is a 30-06 bolt action with a 22" barrel. I won't be crimping but I'm not sure if the non-crimp design will hold enough lube. I've been casting for pistol for a number of years but this is my first rifle boolit mold and I want to do it right (If all else is equal I like the 2 groove design better). Your thoughts are appreciated!!

The boolits will drop at .310- .311.

P.S.: i will be getting the mold from Accurate (if that wasn't obvious by looking at the pics)

Boolit Bub
    180 gr.?

Boolit Buddy
    200 gr

Boolit Grand Master

Should be enough lube capacity there if the right lube for the alloy and intended velocity is used.

Larry Gibson

Banned

i bet the one groove holds more lube.
    the 2 groove has slightly more bearing length.

i like the short bore ride section on the one groove better and the throat alignment angle looks better also.

guess which one i'd get.

Boolit Master

Personally I would go with the lower of the two, the one with a single lube groove, and a crimp groove. If you're going to load them without crimping them, then simply fill the crimp groove with lube as well, and you have 2 lube grooves. This way you have the ability to crimp the boolits in the crimp groove if you need/want to, or just use it as a second lube groove. If you buy the upper design without a crimp groove, and later decide for whatever reason that you want to crimp them in place you'll have a hard time doing it without a crimp groove!

With either choice, you made the right choice going with Accurate Molds, Tom makes a very good mould, so you won't be sorry with your choice of mould maker. Also, if you can, get the mould made out of brass, it'll be heavier than an aluminum mould, but it's so much easier to cast with a brass mould, it holds heat better, so once you get it up to casting temp (preheat it with a hot plate), it'll stay there easier. With rifle moulds it's more important that the mould stay at the right temp, as casting long thin boolits is different than casting short fat pistol boolits. I have one of Tom's 311200C moulds, made from brass, and it's probably my best casting 30 cal boolit!
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the advice on the brass mold. The heat retention issue never crossed my mind.

I like the fat first driving band on the top design and asked Tom about adding another lube groove ahead of the check.

What about deepening the grooves and/ doing square cut?

Boolit Grand Master

Either would do you fine. That said, would almost be remiss if I did not recommend that you consider old tried and true favorites like Lyman 311291/31141/or in heavier weight 311284.
    Good Luck!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Grand Master

I have a couple of molds with square cut grooves, one deep. The boolits tend to hang in the mold because of this. I don't have any lube issues with the rounded grooves. Just use a good lube.

I use 311292 in the 06,great bullet

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the advice guys!

Boolit Master

In the last 2 yrs. or so I`ve started casting for my rifles & I bought a Lyman 314299 for my Mosins & take it thru a 312 sizer & my Remington 700 barely engraves the oglive when seated to the crimp groove , the rifle loves em !!!

It`ll also shoot the 311041 with as good results but ya have to be more particular with the powder choice.

My vote is for the longer heavier top boolit that Tom offers , but in all fairness both look to be good choices for the 06 & Toms work is top shelf !!

No input on brass , as I`ve never cast with 1 , but as mentioned rifle boolits are a little different to cast than handgun boolits . The temp of the mold is more important for consistent results.
    GP100man

It's a bolt gun, proly don't need to crimp. I have an alum 308 4x mould with crimp groove, (but it's for a AR.) from Tom, works fine and cast great. Brass is heavy and more $$.

Boolit Master
    I like them both but if I had to pic one it would be the top pic.

I'd go with the bottom one because there is less unsupported nose weight which I feel is important all else being equal.