RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Mihec 41-258 Question

Boolit Bub

Mihec 41-258 Question

I had gone in on group buy Mihec 41-258 a year ago or so and finally started casting with it. It produces beautiful bootlits although are on the light side. The 41-hollow point pin casts 207.7grain and the 41-pinta point casts 209.3grain. Do I re-load these as a 200grain semi-wad cutter cast bullet? I had expectations of using this for deer size animals that being the reason for going with the 258grain. Does anyone have experience with this 41cal cast bootlit.

Tom

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    I wouldn't worry about the weight. I'm using a lighter 41 Mag HP at about 174 gr. right now (GB going on for it in the active GB section). Cast out of 50/50 WW/Pb WD it kills swiftly and exits deer on heart/lung area shots. As far as loading data, use the 210/212/215 gr. loads for your boolit and work up your load.

Boolit Bub
    I have the same mold and use the same loads that I used for my 212 SWC.

I typically load these to mid-range levels for range use, 8 grains of Unique.

However, with a nice charge of 2400 (16g max) you should be able to move that out at around 1350-1400 from a 6"

Boolit Master

Tom,
    The 258 in the mold model number refers to the design coming from the H&G #258 design. It doesn't mean the nominal weight is 258 gr.

http://mp-molds.com/joomla/index.php...mid=96&lang=en
    Jeff

Boolit Bub
    Jeff:
    Thanks for waking me up! I now remember that being explained, to me like I said it was a first time group buy and was over a year ago (like to get involved with more). I like this mould to the point of thinking I would'nt mind replacing my old with these!

Tom

Boolit Master

Tom,

Not all his molds are marked that way. A lot are marked with the nominal weight in COWW. I [i]think[/] now he includes the original designation when he reproduces a design.
    Jeff

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the up-dated info Jeff! As mentioned this first time group buy die produces great results and look forward to more. I just need to understand the details involved (am happy with what I have). Hopefully we will be able to get more orders filled vs. the way things are moving.
    Thanks Again,
    Tom

Boolit Master
    I shot a doe with the normal HP pins in the LFngc mold- about 212 gr --in my soft mix-- anyway she was angling toward me more than I realized -in behind the right shoulder and under the skin in the left ham -- went through one lung -which it destroyed- the stomach and some and other things I which I wished it had missed-- range was about 40 long steps --- boolit weighed 138 upoon recovery --knocked the hair off where it stopped- now it was fired out of a 41/454 with a 5.5" barrell- mv was about 1680+
    also had buckshot make me a 220 Keith HP mold form a Lyman 410459 - hp'd about 210-- expansion was just fine - in about 4-6" of wet newsprint - and then exited -- hunt on it will work-- btw the Keith hp was fired out of a normal 6" DWA .41-mv was about 1300 -- I have seemed to notice that in testing the penta point will go in a little deeper before starting to expand

Boolit Bub
    Very good information! I'm sure what to expect (first time casting and shooting these). I'm going to load one box of the hollow point and one box of the pinta point with Unique and see what they look like. Again they cast very nice and am looking forward to seeing how things turn out. I find the comment about the pinta points traveling further prior to opening really interesting. I would have lost money on that bet!

Boolit Master
    just my experience in paper