RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: bullet mold for 36 cal front stuffer?

bullet mold for 36 cal front stuffer?

Does anyone make a bullet mold for a .36 muzzle loader? I have a TC Cherokee percussion. Maybe the first question is should I even shoot a bullet from a .36?

In Remembrance

The T/C Cherokee was designed to shoot a patched .350 round ball. Lee makes a mould for this size. These guns are rifled with a 1 in 48" twist that is good for round ball but not fast enough for conicals. I shoot the .35 round ball using .016 pillow ticking patch and 30 grains of FFFg Goex in mine with excellent accuracy and a nice satisfying "crack" with the pull of the trigger. When I am too lazy to cast these tiny balls I buy 000 buck shot which, not as accurate, is fine for tin-cans at 25 yards

Boolit Master
    I would not use anything other than a RB, Maxi or a Lee REAL, if they offer one in a .36
    Check out this vendor sponsor - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-Casting-Shop
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Master
    i saw a 36 maxie ball mold in a gun shop. so they made them. they also made them for the .32. that said you will have trouble getting them to shoot. because you will need a false muzzle or a counter bore to load the bullet stright.

Thanks guys. I have always used patched round balls in this and love the accuracy with it but I thought maybe it would work with conicals and be able to skip the patch. Oh well it sure is a sweet little gun to shoot. I've been using 35 grains of pyrodex p and have found that the 000 buck isn't as accurate as the pure pb balls I've bought in the past. Is this because 000 is not pure lead, or do I need thicker patches? I use .010 ticking.

Lyman used to make a round ball mold Uses small handles. I have one. Mine is new I never used it.

Boolit Buddy
    Tompson Center made a maxi bullet mold for the .36 cal. I use one
    in my Seneca rifle. Shoots OK but is a little much for squirrel though.
    But works good on coyotes. Just play with the powder charge to get
    the best accuracy.
    webfoot10

Boolit Mold
    You might check with Lee I have one of their .32 Maxi molds and the cost was reasonable and the bullets shoot well. I bought mine at FS Reloading as they give the best prices on Lee products.

Boolit Master

Ned Roberts speaks of using conical or "sugerloaf" bullets in small bore rifles. They were patched, and shot in 1:48" twist.
    A .355 125 Gr. RN might patch to a .36.
    Try it, let us know.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Master
    I have a T/C 36 Maxi mold I use for my Seneca. It shots well for me.
    swamp

Boolit Mold
    I shoot the 32 and 36 maxi's in my seneca and cherokee's. Dont by the bull about them not shooting well.

Boolit Master
    Im wanting a 32 built for maxi's . Have not really thought of doing a 36. Im wanting to hit gongs a 200yds. I know its going to be like a motor but I think it would be fun. The 36 may be much better for 200+ yards. Not looking to hunt just want a good plinker.

Boolit Buddy

I was somewhat surprised at some of the above comments refering to not shooting anything but RB's in the TC rifle. From the start TC made their rifles (in all calibers) to shoot their "new" maxi-ball bullet. You didnt need anyhting else to load except what you load an RB with. I started off with a .45cal TC Hawken, to .36cal Seneca and a .54cal Renegade. all shot RB's or Maxis or Maxie-like bullets. I eventually became a RB shooter only but that was just personal pref.

I do recall one time at a club shoot on steel, i was helping one of the Top target shooters practice on the Rams at 100yds. I shot from bench to practice and I spotted. Was at noontime and as he fired I could see that shiney RB fly down range, wack and splash on that ram and it just stand there!! That .45 RB didnt evene nudge that ram ! He thought he missed ! I told him NOPE you hit it!! I then took a shot with my .62cal Full Stock Hawken off the bench and there was NO doubt when it wcked the ram right off its base!
    " I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it. " Matthew Quigley