Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: will this work? poorboy tumbler

Boolit Buddy

will this work? poorboy tumbler

So if your not in a huge hurry, does it sound doable to toss some form of walnut, or corncob media in a coffee can... toss in 50-100 cases.. toss it in the trunk for a work week...let to bounce, and roll around, then pull the cases. Anyone try something like that? Think it will work? Thanks for any advice

Boolit Master
    Not unless you drive like Bo and Luke Duke!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GeneralLee.jpg  
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

In Remembrance

Only way you`d get enough agitation in you "trunk tumbler" is you have an roll over accident on a mountain side where your car rolls over at least 150 times before hitting level ground! Seriously the can must be in motion rolling in a complete cycle for several hours. My first coffee can tumbler was mounted to a BBQ rotisserie motor and sat on 2 sets of roller skate wheels. I put slats of plywood in the can to act as a agitator. Worked for about 2 years till I could afford a vibe tumbler.Robert

Boolit Master
    The level of consistent agitation required will not be high enough. I do know of one guy that bolted a coffee can to the deck of his riding lawn mower and claims good results. I don't know how big his lawn is though. LOL

Boolit Grand Master

It works to flatten the sprue on soft lead balls, letting them tumble around in the trunk of a car in a container.

Who knows, give it a try. Depends on the roads you drive - mountain roads with lots of turns it may work, it it's all freeway it probably won't.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Man
    Remove the wheel weights on both rear wheels and randomly reattach them. Drive for a week and you may have something

Boolit Master
    "will this work? poorboy tumbler " Why don't you try it and tell us how it works out?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    "will this work? poorboy tumbler " Why don't you try it and tell us how it works out?
    Well I'm new to the game and want to ask if its a dumb idea before I head down a dead end.

OK I'll rethink the idea. I have tons of bits and pieces laying around, I'll Fab up some form of a powered tumbler.

Boolit Master
    Google home made Wal-Mart tumbler and you should find plans for vibratory type. I built one for about 30 bucks! In fact there is a pick of it posted one this forum.

A long bolt, plastic coffee can and a cordless screwdriver makes a quick and easy tumbler too!

Probably work in the tail trunk of the Harley.

Boolit Bub
    No, it will not work .
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!”
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master

If I were to remove the wheel weights they would get melted down...
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Well it certainly won't hurt anything, and if you were talking water, steel pins, lemishine, and soap, in a wateright container you might have something; but in terms of vibration being enough to work with dry media, no, it won't.

Boolit Grand Master

Google "home made ball mills" or "home made brass (or rock) tumblers" or similar description, and you'll get lots of ideas for home made brass cleaning equipment/tumblers. One that sticks out in my mind is made from an auto tire on rollers; toss the brass and media in the tire and roll it on the rollers and they got clean brass...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    "Well I'm new to the game and want to ask if its a dumb idea before I head down a dead end."

New guy, old guy, the way we learn what will and won't work is to try it. Especially so when it's cheep and easy to try.

Boolit Master

Might work if you do lots of driving on washboard dirt roads.
    Jeff

Boolit Master

When I first started without a tumbler I used the domestic queens dryer,for about 1 minute!!Noisy as heck,she went downstairs to check out the commotion in her laundry room,opened the dryer door and all I heard was "WHAT THE H"? That idea went south riki/tik,and after some indicative scolding I bought a Lyman the same day...35 years ago and still haven't been forgiven for that one,but still using the same tumbler...GT27
    Last edited by GT27; 02-07-2013 at 09:55 AM.
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

Boolit Buddy
    LOL!!!! Dont think I didnt think of the dryer. But hey... Ive lived with women a LONG time... I know the game. [FYI dishwashers make nice parts cleaners for engine parts.... ]

Anyways... Ive moved onto diferent ideas... Im going to make some kind of a tumbler.. I have a ton of stuff to build from, but just wondering if in whatever can/other brass holder I come up with, should I add a ridge of some sort to the inside to kinda stir it up wile turning???