Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Glad I didn't

Boolit Bub

Glad I didn't

Glad I didn't jump the gun on some alloy on ebay. Looks like it is boat ballast so I asked the seller if he knew if it was an alloy or pure lead. He replied saying he did not know but would send me a sample.

The sample arrived today in the form of saw shavings. Just enough to cast a .452 SWC. Dropped the crumbs in my little crucible and set it on the hotplate. Waiting... Waiting... I finally hit it with a torch and poured. The base wasn't filled out but the drive rings were perfect and it weighed in at 218 gr.

Seeing that it was taking lot more heat to get it to melt & flow I turned the mold temp high. The bullet looks great but the alloy sure gunked up my crucuble. Too much trouble for me to bother with.
    Our Bill of Rights does not say what we can do....it specifies what government cannot do.

Boolit Master

Does it fizz with household vinegar? If so, it's zinc -- possibly sacrificial anodes rather than ballast.

Banned

I bet he had fun sawing that up.

Gear

Boolit Bub
    I can't say that it fizzed like alka-seltzer but the solution became a milky in color.
    Our Bill of Rights does not say what we can do....it specifies what government cannot do.