WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Good 9mm cast loads

Boolit Master

Good 9mm cast loads

I've been working on cast loads for my 9mm's. Heretofore, I found that 4.0 grains of HP38, under a 125 grain cast boolit, OAL= 1.10", Win. SP primers and mixed brass works VERY well. 1" to 2" groups at 8 - 9 yards. I've tested with 0.356" and 0.357" dia. boolits....and found no real difference. I have ascertained that my barrels are (all) nice ones, all coming in at around 0.355" (groove diameter).

Today, I tried some loads with Bullseye, which is the powder I use predominantly for 38 Special. I tried 3.3, 3.5 and 3.7 grains. Though all three loads weren't bad, 3.7 grains gave the best results - 2" or smaller groups, also at 8 - 9 yards. I intend to do a bit more with this load, perhaps push it a bit, to find the top end. However, I don't really think that much will be gained by this. So, for now, this load consists of a 125 grain (0.356") boolit, over 3.7 grains of Bullseye, OAL= 1.10", Win. SP primers and mixed brass.

I offer this info, in case it helps anyone trying to find cast loads for the 9mm. After always hearing that the 9mm is hard to load (cast boolits) for, I expected real difficulties. Not so - it has been easy. I would encourage anyone considering hand loading cast for the 9mm to push ahead - as I said, it isn't really tough to find good loads at all.

Boolit Grand Master

4 gr of Bullseye is my standard 9mm load under 115 - 125 gr cast bullets. Been using it for years in a multitude of 9mm's including some subguns with excellent results.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Thanks, Larry. I intend to "push" the Bullseye load a bit, to find the top end. I will try 4.0 grains.

Seems strange though. 4.0 grains of HP38 (slower than Bullseye, as you well know) gives stellar accuracy.....but 4.2 grains produces leading (in my pistols, anyway). I assumed that I'd have to stay below the charge wt. of the HP38 load, because Bullseye is faster. It will be funny if 4.0 grains
    works well (without leading) - with both powders !

Boolit Master
    I load the lee 125 rnfp (130 lubed @ .359). I back my lee carbide sizing die out so to size just enough to fit my chamber. Use a lee 38 special belling die. (big chamber) Loaded over 3.5 gr of unique gives an accurate, pleasant load . Mixed brass OAL 1.0 (.258 meplate have to load short)

I use 4.3 grns of greendot and that works good in my SR9c i have not tryed it in my Taurus 24/7 yet

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bcp477 View Post
    Thanks, Larry. I intend to "push" the Bullseye load a bit, to find the top end. I will try 4.0 grains.

Seems strange though. 4.0 grains of HP38 (slower than Bullseye, as you well know) gives stellar accuracy.....but 4.2 grains produces leading (in my pistols, anyway). I assumed that I'd have to stay below the charge wt. of the HP38 load, because Bullseye is faster. It will be funny if 4.0 grains
    works well (without leading) - with both powders !
    What alloy?

What lube?

Larry Gibson

I'll weigh in with some lighter loads.

Original Sig P210 (not the new P210 Legend):
    124 gr LRN - 3.2gr Bullseye
    147 gr LRN - 3.0gr Bullseye

Walther P38:
    124 gr LRN - 3.4gr Bullseye
    (requires lighter recoil springs, of course)

Bren R.

With the faster for 9mm powders. Bullseye and WW231. Others and I’ve ran into case head expansion when trying the max listed book loads. You need a really good micrometer to read it but five or so reloads and the primers will get loose. Lyman list 4.2 grains of Bullseye as max under two of there 120 grain boolits. So I’d not get our hopes up for anything over the popular 4.0 grain loading.

I had the same issues with Power Pistol. In spite of it’s popularity. Prefer Unique or AA#5. For full power laods with 122gr TC. Acc #7 under the 147 grain.

Boolit Master

I use the Lee 120TC cast out of ww with 3% tin, water dropped, and lubed with White Label BAC over 4.5gr of Unique. So far this load has worked in every 9mm I've tried it in.

Would Red Dot work like Bullseye in the 9? I have heard they are close, but I never find much info with Red Dot like I do with Bullseye.

red dot is listed in the Lyman manuals. 3.0 to 3.9 gr under a 120 grain boolit.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    What alloy?

What lube?

Larry Gibson

Can't really say. I don't cast my own - I buy them. The bullet maker specs a BHN of about 12 for these boolits. I also can't tell you what lube.

My intention, since I know that 3.7 grains (of Bullseye) works well with no leading, is to try 3.9 or 4.0 grains next. If that works, depending on accuracy of course, great. If not, no problem.

"Lyman list 4.2 grains of Bullseye as max under two of there 120 grain boolits. So I’d not get our hopes up for anything over the popular 4.0 grain loading. "

Thanks, GabbyM. Good to know.

Boolit Master

115 LRN & 4 grains of Titegroup
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

Boolit Master

I still have several thousand 124 TC from Meister Bullets that Brassman blew out about 7 or 8 years ago at $35 per thousand delivered. I ordered 20,000 and I have shot several thousand of these over 4.4 grs. 231 or HP 38 out of Glocks, Smiths, Berettas, Sigs and my favorite, an STI Trojan. Don't have a clue what the diameter of bullet/any barrels is, hardness or lube, but that load shoots better than I can hold the gun. A bit smokey indoors from the hard lube. If I ever run out of these bullets, I will cast something in the same weight over the same charge.

Boolit Buddy
    Great thread, thanks for the input everyone.

Dan

Boolit Mold
    what would be a good load for 125tc and hs6 I would like them to be low recoil for practice

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Don't know about HS6, I suspect it may be less than optimal for light loads. I've been shooting 2.8 grains of Bullseye under a 115 grain boolit in my little Kel-Tec PF9 to get myself accustomed to it. The accuracy is superb and the gun functions with it 100%. I'm looking to create a sure functioning .38 Special equivalent load for this pocket rocket and it looks like a little more Bullseye under a Lee 120 grain TC will get me there.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by winchester1867 View Post
    what would be a good load for 125tc and hs6 I would like them to be low recoil for practice
    Winchester1867,

I've been using 125 TCs and HS-6 for years. Using the Lyman reloading Manual, I experimented. Starting with a medium load, and worked my way down grain by grain, until the load batch wouldn't cycle the action. Then I bumped the load up a grain or two for my production runs. That's my low recoil plinking load. Works great! Your minimum load my vary from mine depending many variables such as the make of pistol, the slide spring strength, weight of slide, etc.

I hope this helps,
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.