RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you snare rabbits in an urban area?

Moderator Emeritus

Put a little molassas on the apples.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy

but how do trap the moles to get the molasses? lol

http://castpics.net/project2/CastDatalist.php?start=21 Here is a link to a you tube instruction on making a trap that will catch rabbits. Good Luck.

Boolit Master
    Be careful using the live traps if you have skunks in the area. They are hard to remove without being very unpopular with your family.

Apple slices will get rabbits - I might try that. They don't eat weeds, just bermuda grass, even the brown winter kind. It is a Texas state law, to prevent farmers shooting when their land gets annexed into a city(Frisco, in particular) and was supported by the NRA rep. All about $$$. We have a skunk problem and raccoon problem, rabies and distemper. New homes planted oaks so we now have a tree rat problem too. We also have coyotes, bob cats and some Mexican lemur as of this week. And this is a burb of DFW.

catch one and take it to the local SPCA, and drop it off.... do that a few times, they'll soon offer you suggestions.

Same with the neighbours cats and dogs... don't just let them go, take them to the SPCA also. The neighbours will soon tire of the fee to get them out of impound.
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

If I may, I suggest checking out a copy of Survival Poaching by Ragnar Benson
    ISBN-10: 0873641833
    ISBN-13: 978-0873641838

Boolit Buddy

^^Good idea on the book.Can you shoot them with a pellet gun?

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Quote Originally Posted by horsesoldier View Post
    ^^Good idea on the book.Can you shoot them with a pellet gun?
    Depends on local law. See post #15 he says no projectiles.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master

Ever consider a sling shot? With a couple weeks of practice, a few hours each nite. You can become fairly accurate with one and then 'take care' of your problem.

Boolit Man
    If I had wabbits in my back yard i would use my longbow and a thumper head on the arrow but you can make a box trap out of 1x6's with drop lid and you dont have to bait them , they will go in a dark place , after you catch 1 and get the smell in it then the next one will go in it a lot easyer I got a friend in kansas that sets out a lot of the box traps for cottontails every winter.

Problem solved in the back yard now. Concrete blocks where they were coming through, with a box knife blade stuck in the ground in the space between. Haven't seen one in weeks, don't care what happens to them or where else they go. Now to put tack strip on top of the fence to keep the squirrels off the roof.

Boolit Master
    CLAYMORE!!!!
    Just remember. "Front towards enemy" is not a suggestion.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    The best way to catch a wabbit is to hide behind a tree and make a noise like a carrot. Lol. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    State rules for this county - NO projectile can be used on property less than 50 acres and > 50 need written permission from adjacent land owners. Our lovely RHINO's. City won't trap or provide trap unless I say I'm trying to trap bobcats or skunk. No season on rabbits here but you can't legally just relocate without landowners permission. Last cat I saw in the area was 6 mo ago, I think she ate too many rabbits and died. If you live trap, what do you use for bait? Don't tell me carrots - that doesn't work.
    Mind boogling you can't shoot a rabbit on 50 acres inTEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

glad to hear your problem is fixed with the cinder blocks, if you have the issue again you could always use a 440 conibear trap, they won't scream like in a snare. takes 'em out fast also ( if you eat your rabbit ) just watch out some one in Anchorage was fined ( i think a weekend in the klink ) for trapping some ones dog. I guess you can't callit bi-catch if your in town.

In Remembrance
    I was born and raised in Texas, but haven't lived there in a number of years. I never lived where there was any laws like this, but if I lived on 50 acres, 5 acres or 1/2 acre, I doubt the neighbors would ever hear my pellet gun.

I don't know how true it is, but I have always heard that someone hearing a gunshot could not really tell which direction the sound comes from with just one shot with no follow up shots.

Boolit Master
    The ones in my yard are so dumb all it takes is a box trap and some fresh clover. My son has even caught them with a propped up box like in the cartoons!

As for what the city/county has to say I stopped listening to them when they suggested I tie a stake knife to a broomstick to kill the possum menacing my dog in the yard!!!

Oh, and be sure you know what a healthy rabbit is supposed to look like. Tularemia is nothing to mess around with.
    In Northern parts of the world, waiting until after the killing frosts have killed the sick bunnies, is for health not superstition.

I just buried chicken coop wire around the perimeter of my property and stapled it to the fence boards. No more bunnies and my trees, shrubs and flowers were safe.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting."
    - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast