WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are people nuts or what?

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    I am a hoarder

Years ago I realized that if and when I retired there would not be as much money

available for playthings.

I bought a rifle,I bought dies, moulds etc for that rifle. Same with every weapon I collected. When there was a sale on any component it was added to MY RETIREMENT stuff.

Well I am now retired and the money is very tight BUT let the shooting begin.

My son can sell off what ever is left after they throw the dirt over the grave.

It was a little planning ahead.

The X wanted ALL THE MONEY but she never thought about the gun stuff,
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I'm with you Bad Water , all of those years when I worked the overtime instead of spending weekends or nights at home ...... Paid for the toys now I have the time , just hope the supplies hold out for as long as I can enjoy them .

Jack

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    I don't order anything back-ordered at Midway. The problem is, if them come in separately they will ship them separately and charge shipping both times.
    I emailed them about a similar issue and customer service sent me a response that there's a Missouri law where basically they can only charge you for what they plan to ship as soon as they can.

I was wishing that I could just buy stuff on impulse and every three months or so they'd send me whatever I had paid for in that interval.

Boolit Master

Talk about being caught between a rock and a hard place. I am on a fixed income like many of you and when I started using the knowledge I learned here, the prices went out of sight the same week that my beloved drill press that I have had for 40+ years bit the dust and now I need $300 for a replacement. I also need more reloading stuff. I selling stuff I thought would be with me forever. No balance in my life at all for a long while.
    Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    I've noticed that when Person A describes Person B as a "hoarder", it's because the Person B has something Person A wants and doesn't have.

That's good, real good and I suppose another way to look at it is Person B had the foresight to panic first.

Boolit Master
    Give it some time and supply will again equal demand. Manufacturers are producing everything they can and eventually buyers will have stocked their shelves and not need to buy more. Until then supplies will be available but more expensive and people will be shooting less because of fear of not being able to replace used ammo and the cost of supplies. If you want to eventually save some money replacing supplies a donation to NRA-ILA is a good investment.

Prices wont come down(even when suppliers are caught up) now that hoarders have shown what the market will bear!
    Prices will come back down, no buisness wants thier stock sitting around because everybody is stocked up and dose not need anything. So prices will come back down, the question is when.

Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    I see all this panic as being well for our cause to uphold the Second Amendment. First some of the buyers are first time owners. Many are women. I hope many will get involved in some type of regular firearm activity. Whether it is formal competition or just range visits to become familiar with their firearms is all good. Hopefully some will become political active.
    The other reasons are the manufacturers are in a upswing of business. At these times they should be making good profits. With the profit and good business they should be more politically active to fight restrictive gun laws. Witness Ruger sending E-mails to our government representatives.
    Politicians are hesitant to pass laws that will hurt businesses in their territories.

Boolit Mold
    I have 8000 primers..200# lead...10# powder..I just shoot my way thru the shortages. Then restock

Boolit Bub
    This will pass, just like it does with every other panic we have had.

Boolit Master

My name is George and I'm a Hoardaholic....

Quote Originally Posted by 1Shirt View Post
    Just checked e-bay for molds. Prices for 22 cal Lymans are shooting thru the roof. A 102gr. .356 Lee 2 cav going for in excess of $40.00 plus ship. Checked Midsouth,Midway,GRAF,Natchez, etc. No 102gr. lee molds available, and some say don't expect to receive any. Same is true for 9MM bullets of any weight, as is true for most 22's and 30's.
    There is a genuine fear out there of the Government that is creating this panic. Was in a gun store on Wed, and watched a guy buy two 500 round cartons of 9Luger. Asked him why and he said "just in case!".
    1Shirt!
    22 molds have been through the roof for some time. A year ago, a 22596 went for like 120 bucks. Guess someone wanted that one real bad.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbird View Post
    I have 8000 primers..200# lead...10# powder..I just shoot my way thru the shortages. Then restock
    I hope that is what you have stashed for EACH firearm you own.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Beekeeper
    Here where I live there are only 2 gunshops.
    In either if it isn't black don't ask for it.
    Both have some RCBS reloading gear but never restock.
    Mil surplus guns go for 3 or 4 times their real value and almost everything else is at least 3 times over value.
    Hoarding, not me, I saw the handwriting on the wall 4 years ago and bought as much as I could.
    Only wish I had bought another 10K LR primers
    and about 20 more bags of cleaning patches and brushes!

beekeeper

Boolit Master
    "Hoarding, not me, I saw the handwriting on the wall 4 years ago and bought as much as I could."

I saw it coming also. Myself and some friend dumped a lot of money on primers last year. We got our stash up to where we wanted it, and left lots on the selves for other people to buy. That way we were not "Hoarders", but wise customers that remembered history.

We also cast and swage slugs, so that is not a problem now.

Just looking out for number 1 - ME.
    Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Boolit Bub
    Eastern Colorado, Alaska will always be Home
    I have swage set ups for a few popular calibers I have considered getting an FFL so I can supplement my income but the Government scares me right now and I prefer to keep them out of my house and I can't afford a separate place of business.
    I have but one friend, I trust in only myself and the Great Spirit, No woman can own me, but only fell the touch of my hand, I Lust for my freedom, and Love only my desires in life! 1989BKH

Yes things are crazy, during the last primer shortage, I swore I would not get caught with my pants down, so this time I do have enough powder and primers to weather this recent crisis, but I've come to realize there will be a time when we might not be able to re-stock. So i'm already saving money so when prices come back down in 12-24 months, I can jump in and restock. With each crisis I find that what I thought was a good inventory level is not high enough, so this time I'm considering inventory levels that would last 20 years...after that I'll be too old to reload anymore anyway.
    μολών λαβέ

Beekeeper
    10mmShooter,
    I am almost at that age now but still wish I had more just in case the kids ever wake up and smell the coffee.
    I do not think we will ever see it at normal levels again .
    New and diferent levels in 3-4 years maybe but I doubt it

beekeeper

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I was at the fun show and had a table set up selling extra stuff from the dungeon . I had one bandoleer of Garand food left from what I'd brought . It had been one of three and two got tossed in on a rifle deal I'd made earlier . I hadn't priced it before I left the table to walk around and didn't tell my pal what I wanted for it .

As fate would have it , I happened to pass by the table as someone was interested in it . My pal asked me how much and off the top of my head I said thirty bucks which was fifteen dollars cheaper that the rest of the show had it for . The smart shopper immediately countered with twenty-five dollars . Hmmmmm I start thinking and realize I've overpriced it and I should take it home with me in shame and spend my next range time shooting it and contemplating the wonders of todays market . So I looked back and said "No , it's not for sale " then looked at my pal and told him don't sell it .

Yep , six en bloc clips , forty-eight boxer primed cases complete with primers , powder and bullet probably was highway robbery at thirty bucks . I'm so sorry fellas ...... but now I've got that off my chest I feel better

Jack

Boolit Master
    small part of "the hoard", didn't buy it yesterday or last month; I stay stocked up with what I need to enjoy my hobby.

"The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.