WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Manual for the Old style hornady powder drop.

Manual for the Old style hornady powder drop.

Does anyone out there have a manual on the Hornady Powder drop that's activated by the press with a pro 7 or projector press? Not sure I have all the parts to it and want to make sure. I've set it up but it doesn't seem to be working too well.

Boolit Buddy
    PM sent.

Boolit Buddy
    A few notes on the old stlye powder drop.

Hornady had three, yes ( 3 ) differnent stlyes of powder bushings.

The long pistol bushings were made from brass, they went below the end of the tube. They had canting, sticking issues, in the drop tube.

Then I have factory rifle bushing made from Steel and another set made from Alumium.

I made a new rifle bushing from brass and never had an problems, but the other two is a differnent story.

The biggest problem I had was the %^&*$ push nut ( stop ) that they used. I made a new solid one from 5/8 ' round stock that used a # 6 set screw to lock it in place. No more issues with it since.

James Wisner

Boolit Buddy
    JW
    The cure for the sticking pistol bushing is to drop the short rifle bushing on top of it. You'll likely have to raise the measure some to allow enough clearance that the rifle bushing doesn't bottom on the measure and restrict ram travel.

Boolit Buddy
    The best cure for the pistol bushings, was make new brass ones with a one inch long bearing surface inside the drop tube. Have one for the 32 H&R, one for the 9mm, and another for the 44/45.

Then when I made another one for the 22 Hornet / 223.

I just picked up another used Pro Jector press for my cousin, and am setting it up for him in 204 Ruger, so now have to make a bushing to fit that size as well. Measure the major neck dia and ream the inside of the bushing about .005 over, so the case neck slips inside the bushing and bumps on the shoulder. No more dribbled powder on the sub plate.

Currently have one of the new case activated drops on order, will be interested in seeing how it works when going from pistol to rilfe length cases.

James Wisner

After dumping a few loads of powder on the shell plate, I gave up on the ram activated powder measure on my older ProJector, and installed the case activated linkage on the Hornady measure. Took too much pressure to operate, crumpling the thin necks of the .38-40 cases I was loading, so I installed a Dillon measure and haven't looked back.
    Morgan

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by James Wisner View Post
    A few notes on the old stlye powder drop.

Hornady had three, yes ( 3 ) differnent stlyes of powder bushings.

The long pistol bushings were made from brass, they went below the end of the tube. They had canting, sticking issues, in the drop tube.

Then I have factory rifle bushing made from Steel and another set made from Alumium.

I made a new rifle bushing from brass and never had an problems, but the other two is a differnent story.

The biggest problem I had was the %^&*$ push nut ( stop ) that they used. I made a new solid one from 5/8 ' round stock that used a # 6 set screw to lock it in place. No more issues with it since.

James Wisner
    James, I am also having trouble piecing the powder drop setup together. I posted what I have in a different thread here.

I do know that I am missing all the bushings for the powder drop, including the "Small and Large Sleeves" that came with the original Pro 7 Press.

Since you made your own powder bushings, do you have the dimensions for them? or a picture would be very helpful. I may be able to machine a couple at home to get by. I will try calling Hornady on Monday, maybe they can sell me some of the parts I am missing.

Here is a link to Hornady's web site.
    http://www.hornady.com/support/downl...s/discontinued
    As I was told when I was a child; your elders will make you smarter if you listen. Then when you are older your elders will teach you WISDOM.
    300winmag