Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob looking at the Lee Turret press...

Boolit Mold

Noob looking at the Lee Turret press...

Hey guys, I'm glad I found the forum. I've been wanting to get into reloading for years. I'm particularly interested in the Lee turret press. Would you recomend it to a newbie wanting to load mostly handgun calibers but will get into rifle loads in the future?

Also, which kit would you recomend? I see a couple different Lee turret kits out there...one in the $125 range and the other in the $210 range. At this point, most component descriptions are greek to me.

the lee 4hole turret press has an aluminum base and a cartridge length limit, especially for auto indexing -
    the "classic" turret has a cast iron base and accepts longer cases -- 30/06 anyway--

I have a 4holer and like it well enough but do not use the auto indexing. I can reload 30/06 with a bit of slight of hand -

If the turret is not sacred to you and you want to save a buck consider the classic cast O frame --

oh -- welcome aboard
    my tuppence

Boolit Grand Master
    poolecw :

The " Lee Classic Turret " , in my opinion, may be the best buy out there right now.

The press can auto index, or you can slow things down and manually index the dies.

When you can find them on sale, you can buy extra empty turrets for $8.99.

No more screwing dies in and out of a single hole press. Lock your dies down one time and forget it.

You can change from 45 Colt to 30-06 in less than 15 seconds.

Here are more photos and comments on the press :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...c-Turret-Press

Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    Been using a three hole Lee Turret press for over 10 years now.
    Load almost everything on it. Auto for pistol and manual for rifle.
    Never needed the forth hole. I deprime and size before loading.
    I've tried others, but always go back to the Lee.
    Unless your the type that just has to have the best stuff, the Lee will never let you down.
    Plus with the money you save on the Lee, you can buy more firearms.

After about a 40 year layoff I started reloading again a couple of years ago. After trying to use my CH CHampion single stage to load 9mm, I decided there had to be a better way. Lots of study and looking later I bought the Lee CLASSIC Turret, along with the Lee 4 die sets, the PRO auto disk, and the Safety Prime. I don't know where you could find a better setup for medium quantity output.
    You can remove the auto index rod (about 5 seconds) and learn to use it, and learn to reload, just like a well built single stage. When you have the procedures down, reinsert the auto index rod (another 5 seconds) and you turn out a completed round for every four strokes of the lever. The whole system works together so nicely it is almost unbelievable. And it a very economical package.
    I suggest you look at this kit:

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41

It seems to have everything in it that you need, except a scale (you would also want to upgrade to the PRO auto disk), and really nothing you don't need. It also includes a set of dies, which I don't believe any other kits do.

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    Try fsreloading.com the have about the best pricing around,they have the Classic Cast Turret kit for $208.00
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

Boolit Man
    After years (40 years) of using single stage presses I decided to invest in a LEE Standard 4-hole turret press that is pretty much dedicated to pistol ammo. I absolutely love it!!! I also bought the LEE Pro Auto Disk powder measure and was really impressed at how accurate the loads are thrown. I found the pro auto disk far superior to the older auto disk due to the elastomer wiper.
    O.K. Did I retire my Lyman Crusher? Of course not! That unit is one that I will never give up and use it for my larger cases such as .270 Win. thru 7MM Rem. Mag..
    I bought my LEE Standard Turret Press for $71.00 & change + shipping from Titan Reloading. It even came with the new ERGO handle! Great deal! I bought my accessories (Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure, Powder measure riser, auto prime & extra turrets) from Natchez. That was my Christmas present to myself & I couldn't be happier!!
    I've been casting & reloading for a very long time & LEE sure fills the bill.
    Last edited by Pooch; 01-08-2013 at 08:44 PM. Reason: spelling

I also highly recommend the Lee Classic Turret (cast base, 4 hole). I load all pistol and rifle loads on mine and never had a problem with it. I did add an Inline Fabrication handle to mine but other than that no mods at all. It and the Classic Cast single stage share handles, primer system as well as the simple spent primer disposal with out a mess.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0367_sm.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	57960
    Joe

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all of the feedback, guys. Looks like the Lee turret would be a good press for a novice like me. Now, the search begins for the best deal (if you can find these kits in stock)

In Remembrance

I am a Lee fan and own a Lee Classic Cast Turret that I absolutely love. If the kit contains the Lee powder scale, that is one Lee product I absolutely hate. If it were me I'd check the price considering the scale as a $10 resale and buy a RCBS scale. I also own a Lyman 1000 scale, an older Ohause and an old Redding, but prefer the RCBS.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by poolecw View Post
    Thanks for all of the feedback, guys. Looks like the Lee turret would be a good press for a novice like me. Now, the search begins for the best deal (if you can find these kits in stock)
    I use the "Lee Classic Turret" press to load 9mm, 38, .357, 40, 10mm and 45 acp. and have turret heads for each caliber so the set up is really fast. This is a great press and I highly recommend it as a starting and as a lifelong press. I do have other single stage presses, used mostly for the larger rifle calibers, but the "LCT" can be used single stage or turret. I can typically crank out 150+ rnds/hr. I also use the LCT for loading .223, but have recently started priming off press as my sizing lube was causing the TAC to stick to the cases... For the price and simplicity of operation, you can't go wrong.

Banned

lee 4 hole classic turret press. Watch vid below
    http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/...EDDF586C0E.mp4

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I currently use a Lyman T-Mag II turret press. It takes me almost 50 minutes to make 50 rounds of handgun ammo from start to finish.

My choice would be a "fully upgradeable" progressive press. By "fully upgradeable" I mean that a case feeder and boolit (projectile) could be added in the future if desired.

I've only had 2 major issues in years of reloading; Overall Length of the finished handgun round and gunpowder charge. I now weigh every gunpowder charge with a RCBS 1010 beam scale just to make sure that I don't overcharge a round.

Also, I hand clean every primer pocket and use a RCBS hand priming tool instead of the one built into the press to insure good primer installs.

Quote Originally Posted by poolecw View Post
    I would start at FS Reloading as they are fast shipping, cheaper than others and fair shipping prices. Another is Titan Reloading which is very close also.
    Joe

Banned

Good place to start

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    After years (40 years) of using single stage presses I decided to invest in a LEE Standard 4-hole turret press that is pretty much dedicated to pistol ammo. I absolutely love it!!! .

I'm in a Lee Learning Loop right now. Last January I picked up a Lee three holer with a pile of loading / casting 'stuff' at a Ham Radio swapmeet for $40 then put it aside. Next, two friends gave me a LoadMaster and Pro1000 at different times after swapping to other gear. The turret was pretty straight forward but the two progressives were both in the box basket cases with sorting and assembly taking a bit of 'noodleing' . So... from two straight forward RCBS jr presses I now have a side bench with the three Lee products...and a learning curve. Advice and posts off Cast Boolits have all three press up and functioning but being more complicated the two progressives need some fine tuning. It looks like the Pro1000 will be good for handgun loading, Loadmaster for .223/6.5X55/30.06 and I'll keep the RCBs jrs for .43 Spanish and .45-70. Anyway...watch the swapmeets, yardsales, etc as equipment is out there at reduced prices, RCbS jrs were $15 each. I'm not sure if thats because less folks reload or more folks have moved to better equipment.

EdZ KG6UTS

Quote Originally Posted by joec View Post
    I would start at FS Reloading as they are fast shipping, cheaper than others and fair shipping prices. Another is Titan Reloading which is very close also.
    Graf & Sons, prices are almost (within a few bucks) of FS and shipping is MUCH better.......also, the classic turret IS a better press overall but for just doing handgun there's nothing wrong with the Deluxe model. It's actually a bit faster with the shorter throw..

Boolit Buddy
    Lee Classic turret isn't just a better press but a better powder measuring system. I did add the douuble disk kit to it. With many powders it throws +/- .1 grains. Also I know this one includes their book- and after you ignore their tooting their own horn its a great intro book. Plus they talk much about using their products.

the pamphlet doccumments are weak but their video's are awesome if you have any questions on how this are that works!

i'd strongly suggest the classic turret kit! Best buy for 200 bucks!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks again for all the comments. I've decided on the classic turret kit. Any recommendations on a set of .45acp dies for this press? Ive heard that carbide dies dont require the use of lube. Is this true? Is this preferred?

Anyone seen this kit in stock?

Boolit Buddy
    I'll try to remember some little things you might need/want/consiider

** lee generic expander die (for cast bullets if the set of dies you buy doesn't have it)

lee generic primer uncapper- the uncapper pin is likely most often broke part. Using generic saves wear and tear on your die. I also keep a spare pin for some dies inc. This one

adjustable powder measuring bar- use this rather than disks to get a more precise powder load

*lee double disk kit- if loading rifles

Lee Auto-Disk Powder Measure Riser- lifts the measurer up for clearance w/, tall dies

* extra turrets (I try to keep 1 extra, but I am 4 short at this time!)

* turret storage cases (with dies attached)

**Lee Auto-Disk Rifle Powder Charging Die 22 to 30 Calibers- to mount the autodisk measurer if your die set doesn't include a power through die

*Lee Case Length Gage and Shellholder- for each caliber your loading for

I'm sure I'm missing things, starred my most important ones. Depending on what caliber/dies you might or might not need these nickle and dime additions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast