Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Duplexing/Priming BH209 for sidehammer and slamfire??

Boolit Master

Duplexing/Priming BH209 for sidehammer and slamfire??

Have heard that some people are "priming" or better described as duplexing with "holy Black" or 777 to get BH209 to ignite in hammer and slamfire MLs. Anyone have any experience doing this? What were results?
    I have a Firehawk and White Bison and 3 "Hawken" types that have been pretty much unused since I'm using BH209 in Encore and smokeless in my Savage MLII. I'd like to keep using the Firehawk and White and my "Hawken" types but after 50 years of cleaning BP like to get away from that.
    I have plenty of BP in grades from cannon to 4F so getting that is not an issue. Just don't like the chore of cleaning 3 or 4 rifles after a day at the range or having to clean up a gun at the end of a hard day hunting. I do clean after using Encore with BH209 and the smokeless in the Savage but it's a HUGE difference between 3 quick patches and a wipe down and cleaning BP and loob off of everything.
    Thanks all, 10 ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Perm-Banned
    i asked a similar question on this site and the responses were a lot of shooters are doing it. so i tried 10 grains of 2f under 100 grains of blackhorn 209 in my fast twist paperpatched .45. the bullet weighed 620 grains. got good accracy results and good ignition. wasnt as clean as straight blackhorn 209 but cleaner than black. i was shooting at my first hole in a snowbank at 100 yards and kept going in the same hole. will try it on paper as soon as it warms up some more. i alway wipe one damp and two dry patches between rounds no matter what powder i use. have fun johnson1942

Boolit Bub
    What would you clean with?With Blackhorn I understand that you use regular centerfire rifle solvent.Seems like you would have a mess with the black powder unless it gets vaporized by the Blackhorn.ripshod

Perm-Banned
    after i read this i shot a few more rounds to day useing 10 grains of black in first then 80 grains by volume on a loader on top. again not as dirty as black and not as clean as blackhorn 209. i use ballistol, antifreeze and water in a mix to clean between rounds. goes of as good and easy as black. plan on shooting some more of the same tommorow is weather permits.

My concern about doing this is the amount of hard carbon deposit one might get in the flame path with a sidelock. Easy enough to clean out of a breech plug but might be a nightmare in a sidelock. ??
    "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED." Understand?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Underclocked View Post
    My concern about doing this is the amount of hard carbon deposit one might get in the flame path with a sidelock. Easy enough to clean out of a breech plug but might be a nightmare in a sidelock. ??
    I have a number of sidelocks and find that if you clean your gun, you are cleaning the sidelocks flash channel as well when you flood it, as you should. So what exactly are you suggesting here with the "carbon" build up.. cap N trade... Ok... kidding... but I don't understand the question maybe...?

Perm-Banned
    i have to do a follow up from todays shooting 209 blackhorn powder dupexed by 10 grains of 2f black. the gun again was my 1/18 twist .45 cal barrel 35 and 1/2 inches long. i used 80 grains of blackhorn 209 with 10 grains of goex 2g under it. one .60 thousands poly wad between powder and bullet. the bullet today was a 400 grain hollow base .440 bullet wrapped with two wraps of number 9 paper. i never would believe it if i didnt try it but it shot just as accurrate as if i was useing straight 110 grains of 2f goex. the gun shot much much cleaner that i figured it would. very little soot between rounds. no resistants at the breech at all. the bullet i was useing was 30 to 1 not pure lead. it bumped up just fine. i love blackpowder but i have to admit shooting this way the blackhorn 209 powder works as good as black in this gun, with of course the 10 grains of duplexing. i shot the 400 grain groups at 100 yards and let them be 5 inches high of the center of the bull. before i put the gun away i put a 620 grain bullet in front of the same charge and aimed at a small spot in a snow bank 125 yards away, it hit dead center. thanks every one who said they do the same in duplexing. now i can shoot more as blackhorn 209 is only 15 miles away and blackpowder is 140 miles away. also i have to admit cleaning between rounds sure was easy. thanks 10 ga for bringing this up again.