RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: can you make priming compound?

Boolit Master
    yes,priming compound is a subject best discussed behind closed doors............in most places on this planet,its actually a crime to discuss ,or publish details of making such......so tread carefully..........there is a tendency nowdays to claim that anyone in any land can be breaking the laws of another land he has never even seen,or even thought about.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    yes,priming compound is a subject best discussed behind closed doors............in most places on this planet,its actually a crime to discuss ,or publish details of making such......so tread carefully..........there is a tendency nowdays to claim that anyone in any land can be breaking the laws of another land he has never even seen,or even thought about.
    Wow, Is it illegal to have knowledge of priming compound in Australia?

Banned
    Just to clear up any misconception:
    NONE of the priming compound posts have been censored, deleted or even warned about. The member Marshall had entirely different reasons for removing his formula from this thread. Absolutely nothing to do with repression or censorship. There is nothing against the law about making your own ammunition including priming powder unless you violate hazmat or some explosive safety rules.

Boolit Buddy
    You are correct. Perfectly legal here in the good ole U.S. of A!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    GONRA can vouch for Traffer's 09-22-2018 hydraulic decapping post.
    Several years ago, got big fat 9mm diameter Berdan primers removed from ~100 14.5x114 mm Soviet LCS heavy machine gun once fired empties.
    (Some had the famous Chicom "ball bearing ball anvil" Berdan primer!) Had ~150 cases to verk wth. Used lathe "cutout & pry" method for troublesome "strong crimp" cases.
    Difficult to generalize this stuff, but am pretty sure "larger the Berdan primer, better hydraulic decapping" verks.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++

Anybody know what the Federal Catalyst TM primer mix is?
    Seems they use LAAARGE flash holes?
    Are they used only in moderate pressure pistol cartridges, or higher pressure rifle cartridges too?

Really Curious.... THANX!
    Good News Gonra!
    The following is the reply that I received from Marshall. Thanks for asking that question. Very interesting stuff here:
    "Regarding the Federal Catalyst primers, my more extensive research conclusively shows that it is a mini-thermite type reaction that combines aluminum and bismuth oxide to create hot aluminum oxide slag and molten bismuth metal. The primer work was originally begun for the military, but has recently started to show up in normal civilian ammunition. This looks like it might be pretty easy to reproduce at home if you can get the bismuth oxide in the correct particle size. I think I have seen it for sale on eBay. See the following link for details on the Catalyst primers:
    https://ndiastorage.blob.core.usgovc...mTutorial7.pdf
    The patents and other information I have found provide even more details, but it looks like a pretty good tunable solution for a lead free primer formula."

Boolit Master
    GONRA suggest primers such as this MIGHT harken waaay back to Pyrophoric Metal Alloys (Eschback, Dynamit - AG 1936, Foote & Sahlin Remington Arms, 1964) patents.
    Primer mixes are mentioned based on Pyrophoric Rare Earth compounds.
    (Yeah, its NOT a complete analogy, but Sounds Similar - probably good enuf for most of us out there in Gun Land.)
    Not sure how REALLY successful this stuff is.....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

While we're at it, didn't one of you mention a French (Cheddite?) primer based on substituting lottsa Tetrazene for ALL of the Lead Styphnate?
    Appreciate any info for my files... THANX!
    Last edited by GONRA; 05-28-2019 at 08:02 PM.

Boolit Master

GONRA, yes the French did do that. Marshall tested doing it. It wasn't without problems. I don't have all the details of what he said about it.

Banned
    Marshal has revised his "Home Made Primer Course" to include the new "Catalyst Primer". He did this prompted by the query of Gonra.
    Enjoy:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/l9h83c69p2...28%20.pdf?dl=0

Boolit Buddy
    Does any one know what the 4 powders are in the Sharpshooter prime all kit is?
    There utube on how to use makes me worry on the accuracy of the mix and also the poor packaging for it [4 plastic ziplock bags in 1 plastic sales pak, hazmat required]
    The site does not list/link to any MSDS.
    Sure there are many better mixes listed in this thread but just thinking out loud.
    Shaune509

Boolit Master
    Late reply,but Traffer asks(#582) ....Is it illegal to have knowlege of priming compounds (explosive substances) in Australia?.......answer.......probably yes without "lawful excuse"......Is it illegal to publish /instruct in the making of......certainly YES......Basically ,the last few years have seen various anti terrorism laws that are a cops wet dream.

Boolit Master

It is almost certainly potassium chlorate, antimony sulfide, sulfur and glass, in order words, primer formulation H-48.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi trooperdan
    You are almost right. There is no glass in that kit. The small bag off white powder is I think dextrin. No glass is needed as the antimony sulfide serves that purpose. The dextrin is supposed to be a binder. I leave it out and use other binders. I can go into this more if anyone is interested. This kit has power and works well but will crumble and fall out. With a good binder that changes.
    n.h.schmidt

If you have the Prime All kit, you could add some of the light-colored granules (from the bag labeled "S") to water and other liquids. Put a lid on the container and check it several hours later.

If the granules are soluble in water, they could be dextrin.

If the granules are soluble in denatured alcohol, they could be shellac.

If the granules are not soluble at all, they could be glass/sand.
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    Been there done that. The powder isn't soluble in any alcohol. It would dissolve in water though . Anyone is better off using something else.
    n.h.schmidt

Boolit Buddy
    N.H.S Thanks for reply, knew a better mix would be listed here. First thought that the kit would allow a test of RF reloads with better tooling [in hand] but the price plus hazmat makes it very costly, less $ in long run making from known formulas. And then using more precise measuring.
    Shaune509

Boolit Buddy
    The Prime-All once the falling out and crumbling is dealt with ,works well. Very powerful and works great with Pyrodex. I didn't know the hazmat was being charged for this.Are you sure about this? I have ordered from fireworks places without hazmat.
    You can make potassium chlorate from bleach and salt subsitute. Its on the internet.If you have that ,you are nearly there.
    About RF reloads, have you talked to Traffer about this? He is the man on this .
    n.h.schmidt

Boolit Buddy
    The prime all kit does work good. I have the separate chemicals to make the H48, as well. I think it's harder to get the potassium chlorate and antinomy sulfide, but not illegal or impossible. This kit uses those chemicals and makes a very hot primer or percussion cap with the only downside being it is corrosive.

There is not hazmat on the separate chemicals or the prime all kit. I think Traffer uses roll caps for his RF reloading.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckdog View Post
    The prime all kit does work good. I have the separate chemicals to make the H48, as well. I think it's harder to get the potassium chlorate and antinomy sulfide, but not illegal or impossible. This kit uses those chemicals and makes a very hot primer or percussion cap with the only downside being it is corrosive.

There is not hazmat on the separate chemicals or the prime all kit. I think Traffer uses roll caps for his RF reloading.
    I have not done much work lately with priming compound for RF. Since corresponding with Marshall, It is not necessary.
    I have posted his "Home Made Primer Course" and it is about all a person would ever need to learn to make priming compound. I have tried several of his priming compounds and find that some are as good as or better than the commercial stuff. An instruction video of him making priming compound will be attached.
    With all that being said, I had trouble with the "prime all" ...maybe I didn't mix it correctly or something but it did not stay intact. it crumbled and did not function in most of the 22lr cases.
    n.h.schmidt has far more experience with the stuff than I do.
    As far as toy caps, indeed I had very good results with them. And may go back to do some more experimenting with a combination that seemed to give remarkable results.
    It seemed that when a very small amount of aluminum powder was sprinkled on top of the priming compound while it was still wet in the 22lr case, the loads became remarkably clean burning. After shooting these reloads an inspection of the barrel showed it looking as if I had just run a patch through them. "clean as a whistle".
    It would seem that I "Got lucky" when trying this process, in that the the chunks of aluminum that I sprinkled on top of the primer were just the right size. They were relatively speaking HUGE CHUNKS. The aluminum powder was produced by filing old hard drive cases with the finest file I had (I was a computer tech). After a while using it just as it was, I started sifting it through a 70 MESH screen.
    It seems that the burning aluminum chunks assisted the combustion of the gun powder as the bullet traveled down the barrel. Sparks were seen coming out the barrel for a couple of feet by observers at the range. I noticed (using an auto loading rifle) that sparks were coming out the ejection port of the rifle. Hahahahah. It was fun.
    I ramble,
    The kicker here is that I no longer use ANY priming compound. I had the fortune of finding a supply of new primed cases. So as long as Marshal has infinite more knowledge and experience with the stuff, I don't bother with that aspect anymore. I am concentrating on swaging and making reloading equipment.
    Note also, the good toy caps, "Legends" made in Germany that were available at Walmart, are no longer available. So it appears that the toy cap route has been cut off by the dreaded powers that be. Here is the video of Marshal "Dr. P"
    https://gunstreamer.com/watch/reload...sxlTgUktc.html
    Last edited by Traffer; 08-22-2019 at 11:32 PM.

Boolit Master

I did not read though all the posts I may have even commented since this started 10 years ago!
    The first page had some errors the English called anything the ignites or explodes from impact a fulminate there are many types Mercury compounds were not the originals but potassium chlorate mixes were . The use of Barium chlorate reduces corrosives of priming compound . Most modern primers use a lead compound for priming .
    This is something I save years ago before Y2K did not happen there were huge discussions on priming!
    ***PIRIMING MIX *** "Info. from English Pistols and Revolvers by George pg. 110 to make pellets for priming mix (grind) in mortar equal parts sulfur and charcoal mix 5 parts potassium chlorate (wet) and small quantity of gum Arabic ( to bind) mix to a paste . use copper plate with desired hole size placed on flat surface spread mixture in holes let dry .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy
    Firefly Have you used this mix yourself?
    n.h.schmidt

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031 LastLast