Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: can you make priming compound?

Boolit Master

I haven't seen any sensitivity test data on the various primer mixtures. Has anybody tested this? I made a drop test rig for my percussion caps which I adapted to primers so I can compare commercial and home made primers. Its pretty simple: a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe, a couple adapters, a 1/16 dowel pin for a firing pin, and a 2 ounce steel cylinder for a drop weight. I could post a photo if anybody is interested.
    So far my percussion cap formula of 1 rollcap with ~1/4 to 1/2 grain 4Fg powder that works great on BP guns seems pretty wimpy in primers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Idz View Post
    I haven't seen any sensitivity test data on the various primer mixtures. Has anybody tested this? I made a drop test rig for my percussion caps which I adapted to primers so I can compare commercial and home made primers. Its pretty simple: a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe, a couple adapters, a 1/16 dowel pin for a firing pin, and a 2 ounce steel cylinder for a drop weight. I could post a photo if anybody is interested.
    So far my percussion cap formula of 1 rollcap with ~1/4 to 1/2 grain 4Fg powder that works great on BP guns seems pretty wimpy in primers.
    When I used roll caps for priming 22lr, I would use 6 to 8 roll caps per case. I also added 70 Mesh strained aluminum powder on top of the primed area when it was wet, like sprinkling sugar on a sugar cookie. This method was overkill bit hey... The aluminum powder IS LIKE MAGIC. When I use it there is not burnt powder residue in the barrel of rifle that I shoot the 22 with. It creates a hotter flame that I believe helps to get a complete burn of the powder. I wouldn't imagine a single roll cap would be enough to create a reliable primer for any purpose. But I have been wrong plenty of times before.
    I think it is about time someone came up with a standardized way of testing primers/priming compound for sensitivity. Keep up the good work. I would be interested in copying your set up. Can you supply pictures?

Boolit Master

primer sensitivity tester

Attachment 223977

my setup:
    A 30" piece of 3/4 PVC water pipe is cross-drilled with 1/8" holes every inch. Right-top is a 3/4x 1.035 steel cylinder 2 oz drop weight. A coat hanger wire is placed through the holes in the PVC pipe at the desired drop height to hold the weight. Right-bottom of the photo is my percussion cap test fixture which slips into the PVC and positions the cap at the 0" location. Left is a 1/16x3/4 dowel firing pin with the end smoothed over into a hemisphere. An aluminum plug 0.80" diameter x 11/16" long drilled through with a 1/16" hole that centers the firing pin in the PVC. An 1" diameter aluminum barrel holds a 38spl (#V drill) on one end or a 45 colt(#31/64 drill) on the other, a 0.312" long section on the ends of the barrel is turned to 0.80" to slip into the PVC.

I put a piece of paper on the floor at the end of the barrel to 'photograph' the primer spray. Set up the rig with PVC vertical on a concrete floor, slide the wire through the PVC at the desired drop height, drop in the weight and pull wire to fire. Note: Large Pistol Primers may launch the weight out of the PVC.
    Last edited by Idz; 07-20-2018 at 05:47 PM.

Boolit Master

Traffer,
    I settled on a single roll cap and 4Fg for my percussion caps because multiple rollcaps tended to clog up the nipple. I get almost 100% reliability with a single cap. I suspect the reason that recipe doesn't work well in primers is due to the much larger flash hole in the case. In the primer case the 4Fg burn rate is essentially 1 atmosphere whereas the nipple tiny flash hole creates higher pressure which increases burn rate causing a more explosive ignition.

Boolit Master

One thing I forgot to add on my PVC drop tube is some 3/8" venting holes so the drop weight isn't cushioned during its fall.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Idz View Post
    One thing I forgot to add on my PVC drop tube is some 3/8" venting holes so the drop weight isn't cushioned during its fall.
    One thing I don't quite understand. Are you placing the cap in a used pistol primer that sits in the 38/45 cal holder? Or do percussion caps fit in pistol primer pockets?

Boolit Buddy
    I don't think he's making primers. He talking about making percussion caps for his muzzleloaders. You'd have nothing but blown percussion caps trying to seat them in a piece of brass.

Boolit Master

I have made mostly percussion caps but am beginning to play with primers too. I have four types of test plugs: #11 cap, musket cap, 45 colt case for LPP, and 38spl case for SPP. I make up a primer and press it into a case and then put the case in the drop test rig. Various sources say the SPP should All-Fire with a 2 oz weight @ 10" with a 0.050 firing pin but I'm getting about 13-14" in my preliminary tests. I think I'll re-design my firing pin just in case my drop weight is tipping slightly on impact and losing some energy by hitting the firing pin alignment plug.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Marshall and Taffer
    Where can I obtain the fine grit needed for some of these primer mixes?
    Ned

Quote Originally Posted by n.h.schmidt View Post
    Hi Marshall and Taffer
    Where can I obtain the fine grit needed for some of these primer mixes?
    Ned
    Clear Glass Powder
    https://www.naturalpigments.com/clear-glass-powder.html
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    Man That can do it
    Thanks

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Look for the mortar and pestle variant called a "UFO" for glass, the pestle covers almost all of the cavity so you don't get glass bits flying into your "wedding tackle" or the like; I've had to rebuy all of mine as the first set were stolen, went all "UFO" for them as I'm tired of "Ah darnit where in the world did THAT bit I was trying to grind, go?" issues!

Boolit Buddy
    Some here are using a fine screen to get their powdered grit. Where can you get the very fine screening? I think some really fine sand could be had with a very small mesh. A guy could just tumble sand to break it down if you could strain it fine enough. I can see where I'm going to get a motor and pestle soon.
    Ned

Banned
    Some here are using a fine screen to get their powdered grit. Where can you get the very fine screening? I think some really fine sand could be had with a very small mesh. A guy could just tumble sand to break it down if you could strain it fine enough. I can see where I'm going to get a motor and pestle soon.
    Ned
    You can get fine mesh straining screen on eBay.

Ned
    If you're looking for an over-the-counter product, this powdered glass at Harbor Freight might work -

https://www.harborfreight.com/510-lb...dia-63674.html
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
    @ofitg,

I have tried this HF bead blasting media and it doesn't work as purchased. It is composed of small round balls of glass (i.e. no sharp edges to generate friction). I found it necessary to grind the media to a finer powder to break it up into sharp edged particles. This is very difficult as the tiny round balls act like ball bearings as you try to grind the material in a mortar and pestle. It can be done, but is much more work than starting with fine shards of broken glass. I thought it was a great time saver as well, but the particles are the wrong shape. Great for sand blasting, not so much for primers.

Marshall
    Ahhh...... oh well, I will just stick with my jar of 40-mesh crushed sand.

Thanks for the update!
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Just go to a glass shop. They will give you a cup of broken safety glass that is easily ground in a cast iron mortar and pestle. I got mine from a hobby mining supplier.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Oops I guess it's "Flying Saucer" mortar and pestle not UFO. Oops. Pic anyways:

Attachment 226720

Keeps flying glass bits from escaping, seems a good design to me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
    Here is a link to a modestly priced set of sifting pans:

https://www.riogrande.com/Product/St...t/350070?***=2

Marshall
    I saw a stack of sifting "pans" that looked just like that at Dollar Tree yesterday but declined to buy them. I did not look closely to see if they were all different mesh. I didn't know why they were in a set but they probably were different meshes. I bought individual stainless mesh sifting screen in square pieces off of eBay for cheap money. I thought that the nylon ones probably wouldn't be good but as I see these I am going to go back and get the nylon ones. Remember at Dollar Tree ...everything is a dollar! My kind of place.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm back.. Traffer ,where in Dollar Tree did you see them? I know somewhere is printed the information for the FA-48 formula but I can't find it. Could someone direct me to it? On using hairspray to set the mix in the primers and percussion caps. I use Rave and I have experimented a lot with this stuff. You should see my hair, looks real nice now. I have used really light coats to very heavy coats.Sometimes six to eight heavy coats. Even with the heavy coats the percussion caps fired with power.No reduction observed at all. I have a tester made and can see the flame at the nipple. The Prime All I have been using so far needs the hairspray or It all comes out of the cups.
    Ned

Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast