Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What three pistol powders to try?

What three pistol powders to try?

hello everyone! My buddy and I just started reloading and we are about to make a purchase of 2-3 different powders in 1lb cans. I would like to know what three you all would suggest to try out. Here is what we are looking for

- Wide application of pistol cartridges
    - "Accurate" measurement with lee auto disk measure
    - Clean burning
    - Low smoke

I know you have to give in certain areas to gain in others, but any suggestions would be great. I have done a little research and found Power Pistol to have some good results and wide application. Would any of you suggest this as one? -SDA
    If you trade liberty for security, soon you will have neither. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

what pistol are you loading for 9mm 45 acp Bullseye
    357 44mag 2400 / H110
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    PowerPistol and Bullseye for sure. Will be trying my first loads with Vihtavuori tomorrow at the gun range. Vihtavuori is more expensive but it is supposed to be very consistent. I hand weigh every charge on a RCBS 1010 but I can see that the Vihtavuori should meter very nicely.

9mm, .38, .45, .44 mag, .38 +p, maybe others in the future.
    If you trade liberty for security, soon you will have neither. - Benjamin Franklin

Banned

I would get Trail Boss (Not a pound, but very fluffy so it goes a long way despite its weight), Unique, and 2400.

i hear unique aswell but I heard its dirty

Perma-Banned

I would get power pistol, unique and bullseye. They have been around a long time and work with numerous cartridges.

Banned

Bullseye or Titegroup for clean-burning light loads, Unique for all the midrange stuff, and Power Pistol, HS6 for magnum autos and 2400 for heavier magnum revolver loads. Unique will do it all, but is a tad dirty at very low pressure and too fast-burning for top-end magnum handgun loads.

Unique can have trouble in the Autodisk, but meters very well if you strip the reservoir and carefully smooth and round all the sharp edges leading to the hole in the bottom.

Gear

Boolit Master

A lot of the smoke and dirt is from boolit lube, that is if your using cast...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Hodgdon Clays.....similar application to Bullseye but much, MUCH cleaner.

Hodgdon Universal.........similar to Unique but much, MUCH cleaner.

Ramshot True Blue..........similar to Blue Dot but cleaner and not so temperature sensitive.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Master

Most of those mentioned are good but nobody has mentioned Accurate #2, #5, and #9. I've found that they are all clean, easy to measure and applicable to all the ones you mentioned.

Boolit Buddy
    Unique for most pistol loads and some H110 for the heavy loads thats all a guy needs.

Boolit Buddy
    HP-38 and 2400 gets my vote.
    Works well in my Autos and wheel guns

Boolit Master
    Only three we use are Bullseye (.44 Spl, 9mm) Unique (everything, pistol, shotgun, reduced rifle loads) and 2400 (almost never).
    With 9.5 gr of Unique under a 240 boolit the cases seal well and it is as clean as anything. It has been around forever so i can find a load for anything, and also has a measure of safety for beginners. In has good bulk, so in big cases like .44 mag a double charge is hard to miss, almost overflows the case, and also i have data from 6.0 up to 12.0 gr for a 240 boolit, which gives me a WIDE margin for error if something does happen to go haywire and all my safety checks miss it. I use a 250 429421 Keith boolit pushed by 9.5 of Unique in our Super Blackhawks as a hunting and trail load, it will punch end to end on a deer. We quit using 2400 for hunting because 9 more grains of powder to pickup 150-200 fps just wasn't worth the extra blast and cost.
    Just my 2 cents worth on why we use what we use!
    Welcome, hope you enjoy it here!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Buddy

Unique for sure and AA#7 and AA#9 I use a lot of.

Boolit Master

IMO Tight Group for 700 to 1,000 fps , WSF or Power Pistol for 900 to 1.300 fps and 296, H110 or surplus 820 for the full loads in the 357 or 44 mag .

Boolit Grand Master

When I started the popular powders were Bulleseye, Unique and 2400. Still not a bad choice because they are still around. I used to try just about every powder that hit the market untill I realized the companies would go out of business and leave you looking for another " perfect powder ". I still have cans of powders that haven't been made for years and there is no data for newer cartriges.
    Just try and find up to date data on Alcan, Scott ,B-West and Thunderbird powders... it's little or none out there. So stick to the tried, true and well known powders from companies that have been around a while.

Boolit Master
    Several years back Unique was reformulated to burn cleaner than the old powder. As Ray said, Unique contributes little to the smoke and gunk in rifle and pistol shooting, the lube is the primary contributor there. I use it for pistol loads, rifle reduced loads and shotgun target loads (and if it was as dirty as some allege, it would really show up there as there is no lube in use).

DuPont brought out Unique over 100 years ago. It isn't going anywhere. I have other powders (the 'dots', a couple of AAs - being ball powders they really meter well, 700X, etc.), but only Unique is bought in 4 or 8 pound jugs.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Banned

so nobody read the part about the LEE AUTO DISC.
    get some 231.
    or some accurate #2-#5.
    the problem with the lee is flake powders bridge,and ball powders run out the seams.
    find something inbetween.
    231 is the one inbetween that is flexable enough to handle all those cartridges.

Boolit Grand Master

231, Universal and 2400.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast