MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calif. Pronghorn Antelope

Calif. Pronghorn Antelope

This is my first attempt tp post pictures.

This is my California, Lassen County Period 1, Zone 4, Pronghorn Antelope. That was a mouth full. Took 24 years and 11 preference to draw the tag. I had 9 week to figure where to hunt and how to hunt. Hired an outfitter, spent 2 days locating, scouting, and patterning 24 bucks in a 100 square mile area. Found the best of the best and on the 4th day got an opportunity for a shot at the biggest Antelope Buck we could find. It was a very satisfying, memorable hunt.

/buckndee/IMG_3120.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by buckndee; 02-01-2013 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Pictures did not post

Boolit Buddy

The pics arent showing up but congrats anyways!

Boolit Master
    Hey, cant wait to hear the juice of the story. The way I had to do my pics is...
    Open them in Paint
    Resize to 60%
    Save to a file on your computer
    Open cast boolits
    Go to "manage downloads"
    Select "upload files"
    Select pics to be uploaded
    Complete upload
    Go to thread where you want pics
    Click "Go advanced"
    Upload your pics
    and post.

At least that is the way I remember I did it.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master

Take the attachments and put a return after the first one
    so they are stacked

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

In Remembrance

No Pics! Congrats anyway on the "Speed Goat".Robert

Boolit Master
    I look forward to seeing your photos !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

I still can't add pictures, maybe because I have a Mac. I tried to work with the Imaging Hosting, Go Advance, and Insert Image icon. I give up for now.

Boolit Buddy

I can post pics from a Mac ... So it's not that. I'll put some instructions together tomorrow for you. Are they in iPhoto on your Mac now or just .jpegs in a folder?

I have most of them in iPhoto and few in .jpegs in my Documents. If I could post photos I would contribute and share more often on CastBullits.

I have a mac and use photo bucket for posting pictures, quite simple really. Just download the program and follow the directions for sign up.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

OK, take your jpeg pictures and put them on
    www.photobucket.com
    it is free
    Then once in the album, click on the picture,
    to the right of the pictures will be some codes
    click on the link to the right of the IMG Code and it will
    change to "Copied"
    Paste it here
    Submit
    Good luck
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master
    Buckndee--

A California pronghorn is quite an accomplishment, on a couple fronts. First, your persistence in dealing with the stilted and idiotic draw system in place here is commendable. Also, a skillful and difficult hunt is required to fill any such tag--it's not like Wyoming here, with abundant numbers of animals. You should be proud of this harvest, it is literally a one-in-a-million achievement.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy

Photobucket is the easiest way to share pics, also easy to resize, etc ... but you still have to get them from the Mac to photobucket. The problem is where iPhoto stores the actual photos, vs the thumbnails. It's changed a few times across the versions of iPhoto, so it may be version dependent.

On this test, I selected "Go To Advanced" (next to the "Reply" button) and then click on the "Insert Image" icon in the tool bar. It lets you select "From computer" or "from URL". From computer should load directly to here, while "from URL" would be used for photobucket (altho it's easier to just click on Share photo in photobucket and paste the link directly here" ...

anyway, click From Computer, basic uploader, Browse, pic a photo and click Upload

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BKPhoto_Yellowstone_Lightning.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	60022
    photo copyright BK Photography - my son's shot of Yellowstone from last summer

My photo shows here, and your post shows an ATTACH link as well, so I suspect perhaps your photos didn't upload due to size restrictions, maybe?

Boolit Master
    I also have a Mac and normally use a photo service. The Forum system does work well with a Mac though.

1) Place your jpeg photo on the Mac desktop.

2) Reply to Thread.

3) "Go Advanced"

4) In "Attachments" open "Manage Attachments"

5) Check "add Files"

6) Open "Select Files"

7) Click on the photo on your Desktop.

8) "Upload Files"

9) Image will appear in Attachments" box

10) Check the little box under the image

11) Click "Insert Inline"

12) Image code is now in your Reply

This entire process takes about 10 seconds !

Jerry

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3120.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	60033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3115.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	60032Ok, here we go.

This is my 4th attempt to post pictures.

This is my California, Lassen County Period 1, Zone 4, Pronghorn Antelope. That was a mouth full. Took 24 years and 11 preference to draw the tag. I had 9 week to figure where to hunt and how to hunt. Hired an outfitter, spent 2 days locating, scouting, and patterning 24 bucks in a 100 square mile area. Found the best of the best and on the 4th day got an opportunity for a shot at the biggest Antelope Buck we could find. It was a very satisfying, memorable hunt.

THANK YOU!! GLL, I have printed your instructions and saved them to computer so I can find it for future reference.

And for the rest of the story! After two days of scouting, opening day we set up before sun rise on a little bench on the edge Of the Madeline Plains in Lassen County Calif. An hour into the hunt the big boy shows up feeding slowly left to right across the plain at about 1400 yds. The plan was to flank around in front of the herd and ambush them. But then a very dark rain cloud came out of now where and drenched the area with heavy rain. The Antelope all bedded down and we got soaked as the wind kicked up. I was dresses in cotton desert camo as the predicted temp was 94 degrees. Well, I got hypothermic, uncontrollable shivering, told the guide I did not think I could take a shot if we got an opportunity. Wind and rain finally stopped, after a half hour I dried out and warmed up. So did the Antelope, they got up out of their beds and started feed in the direction of the only water source 5 miles away to our right.. The big Buck didn't fallow the herd, he feed straight away from our position and disappeared into the BLM foot hills miles away. We spent the rest of the 94 degree day searching for him to no avail. Saw 23 other bucks but nothing to get excited about.

Sunday morning we were back at our vantage point at first light. I spotted the Big buck as he got up out of his bed at about 1400 yds. He and 4 does were feeding to our right. A young Buck appeared, moving towards the doe's. This got the attention of the big guy who promptly chased the young buck off 200 yds. The Buck went back to the doe's, then started pawing the ground, prancing about, squat urinated, horned the wet earth, pawed again and just stood still staring into the distance. The young Buck had headed back towards the doe's position. The big guy canted his head and gave the other Buck the evil eye. The guide was looking through the spotting scope and me with my 10x binos. All of a sudden the big Buck charged the young Buck as they zig-zag 300 yds through the Sage Brush. Then they lit off in a straight line running FLAT OUT in a straight line across the Madeline Planes. The guide got excited, narrating what was happening, said we may get an opportunity for a shot. I put my binos down, shifted my shooting sticks towards a pre-determined shooting lane. The guide was getting very excited, said they were running right towards our position, OH MY GOD, they are going to over run our position, he stands up as they drop into a depression, they reappear 300 yds out. He starts bawling like a "Calf" trying to slow or stop them, then thinks what am I doing. He lets out a Coyote "Bark Howl" call just as both Bucks swing into view again at 200 yds running flat out. The Big Buck screeches to a halt in a cloud of dust, looks our way. BOOM, WOP, DROP.

WOW!! Did that just happen. The guide was jumping about with excitement and rambling, can you believe what just happened. It was only 60-90 seconds from the first interaction between the Bucks, the mile long chase, THE END.

We did not fallow up for 10 minutes. Reenacted the shot, took pictures, savored the moment, packed up our gear and then went to locate my Pronghorn. There was no ground shrinkage, he just got bigger and bigger. What a memorable hunt after waiting 24 years to draw a California Antelope tag.
    Last edited by buckndee; 02-01-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Boolit Master
    Very nice and great Picture! That is one of my dream hunts for the future. Joe
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Buddy

Great buck!!! I like your camo as well!

Boolit Master

Boy - that is a beautiful goat!

Congrats!!

Boolit Master
    Outstanding antelope and great photos !

Jerry

Boolit Buddy

Very nice speed goat and a great story! Well done!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast