Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Bullets casted to heavy, not sure what to do.

Boolit Mold

Bullets casted to heavy, not sure what to do.

Just got done casting some .44 bullets from a new RCBS 44-250-K mold. I used wheel weights for alloy and the bullets weigh 263-264 grains. These will be loaded in a 44 magnum. Im not sure what to do? What load data should i use? I never expected them to cast this much too heavy. My lyman book has a load for 265g jacketed bullets i could work up from. Or i have been thinking of making a jig for my milling machine, and drilling out the nose of the bullets to get them to 250 grains, but that will be a lot more work. I have 231, 296, clays, unique, red dot, blue dot, green dot, 800x, and wsf powders on hand. Anyone have any suggestions?

Boolit Grand Master

Use the 265gr data, I wouldn't waste my time milling them. What diameter are they coming out at? That is the key questions as everything depends on boolit fit.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Mold
    They are resizing nicely at .430.

Boolit Master
    Most mold makers give approx. weights based on Lyman #2 alloy which is much harder and lighter then your alloy of WW, so it doesn't surprise me that your bullets came out heavy! Make your bullets harder by adding tin or better still Lino/mono and you will get the weight down to RCBS specs.

Boolit Buddy
    What the others have said.
    Use it as is and work up.

Also, I had this info you might find useful.

Gives you some idea of alloys and weights and diamters.

Boolit Master
    I don't worry about things like that. aloys will vary . that has been a known or should I say a fairly sure known thing.
    I use a bullet that has stamped on the mold 270 but from WW will get close to 284 gr. i use 270 gr data.
    You are using the same bullet. Same lenght, Same bearing surface, Same seating depth inside the case. It isn't like the bullet was made 13 gr heavier by making it longer, fatter or some other way to get the heavier weight. The alloy is just denser. Nothing else has changed.
    Don't sweat it.

Boolit Buddy
    Exactly, as 44mag says, use 250gr load data and work your way up.
    But if you want to get your castings closer to advertised weight play with the alloy a little.
    The fun, the enjoyment is in the experimentation. Well, sometimes it is, sometimes it's just plain tedious....

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the help. just wanted to be sure i wasnt overlooking something.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    Unless you already had pressure signs with 250 gr and the charge you have been using I would not even consider the difference.

Lyman's published data seems to be about as trouble free as any so were it I, I would take their 250 gr loading and run with it without looking back.

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

ADMIN

Are you weighing them after you sized and lubed them?
    you need more tin in you alloy to lighten it up
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

My mihec /RCBS 45-270-SWCs weigh in at 287-290 with my alloy, and I still use RUGER/TC load of 8.5-9.0 gr Unique... same as 250 grain.
    Spent cases still drop from the cylinder easily with no pressure signs.
    As stated above, unless you're seeing any kind of pressure signs or are shooting at max loads, the variations due to alloy should be of little concern.

Banned
    For a "castpic of the month" thread this one sure is deprived of photos!
    Maybe better suited in "cast boolits", no?

Boolit Grand Master
    The heavier the boolit, slight percentage points add up. Not so much on my 125 gr. boolits which drop at 129-131.
    Find the closest load and use that. Start low and work up.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master

Why worry? Small variation, use 250 gr data, because you were going to start low and
    work up, right? Just don't work up quite all the way to a max for a 250. If you load is
    max at 11 gr for 250, then stick with 10.5 max.

If you find some 270 gr or 300 gr data, estimate in between. No magic, just care
    and common sense.

Probably pretty low alloying metals content for that casting alloy, higher fraction of lead.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Krack View Post
    Unless you already had pressure signs with 250 gr and the charge you have been using I would not even consider the difference.

Lyman's published data seems to be about as trouble free as any so were it I, I would take their 250 gr loading and run with it without looking back.

Bob
    Rite on with what Bob said
    no need to worry about the minor weight difference
    start slow ,easy does it
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldpara View Post
    Exactly, as 44mag says, use 250gr load data and work your way up.
    But if you want to get your castings closer to advertised weight play with the alloy a little.
    The fun, the enjoyment is in the experimentation. Well, sometimes it is, sometimes it's just plain tedious....
    +1
    My Anchor is holding fast!

That weight variation is only 5%, use the 250 data and as long as you begin at less than the maximum charge recommended, the additional 10-13 grains of weight is a non issue....again as long as you are not at maximum charges and pay attention to your seating depth that is recommended if you are deep seating your bullet further into the case you need to reduce your charge(less air space more pressure) Also my RCBS 250KT mold also drop right at 260grains I have two of them and both drop heavy even with my Lyman #2. So you are okay
    μολών λαβέ

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchrm View Post
    Thanks for the help. just wanted to be sure i wasnt overlooking something.
    Nope, you're looking too hard

Boolit Master
    Good advice already. I would be more concerned about coming out with the desired diameter than worrying too much about the weight. Just put a little note in the container that you use to store your boolits in so the next time you load these it jogs your memory. Keep your loads sensible and enjoy.

Keith

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    What diameter are they coming out at? That is the key questions as everything depends on boolit fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchrm View Post
    They are resizing nicely at .430.
    You didn't answer the question.

It doesn't ask for the diameter of the hole in your sizing die.
    If your mould is oversize ... or if you don't have it completely closed when pouring it full ... the bullet will be heavier than expected.

So (again), "What diameter are they coming out (of the mould) at?"
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.