Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hodgdon Titegroup and .38 Special Cast Bullets....Bad Combination ???

Boolit Bub
    I've never had any problems with it for 38 cast loads.

Boolit Buddy
    I use TG in 38/357, 9mm, and 40 S&W. It is clean burning and accurate. As stated, it does have a narrow band but I load to the lower end with excellent results. I have tried other powders and keep coming back to TG because it meters so well and is accurate in anything I use it in. I have heard people say that with lead it burns hot and that causes the lube to smoke. I have no idea if that is true. My range has a great vent system so I do not notice it. I just picked up another pound today I came across - price was good, $17.95.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, thank you all for your input. I feel much better about the purchase of Titegroup. As a matter of fact, I went back and bought the last 1 pound bottle within 70 miles of any direction. I am looking forward to working with it.

I have been using my Lee Breech Lock Challenger single stage press. I enjoy the slow process. It helps me focus on what I am doing and see how EACH step works and its results. And, it is relaxing.

I do have a Lee Progressive 1000 Press. I am going to pull it out and see how well Titegroup will meter from it.

Thanks again !!
    Last edited by Southern Shooter; 01-31-2013 at 01:04 AM.

Boolit Mold
    I load tg 357--380-9mm-45acp..accurate and no leading..good all around powder for me..my 2 cents

Boolit Master

I have used TG since it came out to replace Bullseye that i had used for over 20 years , so far ive burt up at least 16lbs of TG . I plan to buy more 8 lb jugs when my supply starts to get low !
    Excellent accuracy and cleaner burning than BE in every senario ! 454 casull, 45 lc , 45 acp , 44 mag , 357 mag , 38 special , 38 super , 9mm, and 380 . for loads from 750 to 1,100 fps.
    In most senarios i use the same powder charge of TG as i did BE to acheve the simular accuracy & velocity.

I use TG in 38 special cases following the data printed on the label of the manufacturer's container. 3.8 grains for a 158 gr SWC boolit. Accurate, and pleasant to shoot. This same data is printed in other loading manuals for the same boolit. If the velocities shown in the various books are to be believed, they put that boolit at some plus-P velocities. For shooting it out with an intruder breaking into your kitchen door, I would think that this loading would probably make said intruder at least say "ouch", and would most likely save some liberal-minded judge from giving said intruder a short sentence followed by an early release. The judge could then focus on giving you, as an evil homeowner protecting himself, a long, stiff sentence at hard labor. The load I mentioned is accurate and pleasant in terms of recoil. for 38 special plinking loads, it's all I've ever tried, for my revolvers as well as my Rossi levergun. On the positive side, a can of Titegroup for use in 38 special loads not only will shoot well, but at 3.8 grains a pop will last you a long time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Shooter View Post
    I am casting Plain-base, 158 grain, .38 Special SWC. I have been using Unique and Bullseye. But, with the rush on supplies the only powder that has been available in my local stores has been Titegroup. And, it had a recipe on it that looked promising. So, I bought a pound of it.

Perhaps, I should have done a little reading, first. There are not the most positive comments made of this powder on the various forums I have browsed. On the issue of narrow loading range, 3.2-3.8 grains, I am not concerned. I hand weigh each powder charge and am not worried about going over or double-charging. For the record, I am planning to load in the middle at about 3.5 grains.

I am concerned about the heat issue and the melting of a plain-based cast bullet that I have read about.

QUESTION: Are these truly issue to be worried about? Is this really happening? Would ya'll experienced folks educate me on Titegroup in the .38 Special with cast bullets?

Thanks

Anybody who thinks gunpowder melts the boolit bases needs to be put on your ignore list. Titegroup is perfect for mild-moderate .38 Special, I think you'll like it better than Bullseye if that nasty grey BE haze bothers you.

Where people get into trouble is loading near or at the top end with something like .40 S&W and then decide to seat the boolit a few thousandths deeper or something like that without dropping back the charge. Or work up a hot load in one gun that's safe, and use the ammo in a different gun with a tighter throat. Not good in tiny cases like the .40 or 9mm. Titegroup gets real spikey when you coop a lot of it up in a small space.

Gear

Banned
    It's my favorite powder.

The only issue I've ever seen comes from Precision Bullets. (www.precisionbullets.com) In their FAQ section, there are two powders they recommend against, without explanation: Titegroup and N-310. They then also have a cryptic note that says "if you are having fouling problems, try a slower powder."

When I loaded Precision over Titegroup (and N-310, but that's another story) I not only had massive fouling, I had no accuracy. Since Titegroup and N-310 are both extremely fast, hot powders, I concluded it was a heat problem, with the coating on Precision Bullets. So I don't know about melting the base of the bullet, but I'm quite convinced that hot powders will melt the proprietary coating of Precision Bullets.

So I switched bullets. Now I use the high(er) end Hornady jacketed bullets. Problem solved.

Boolit Master
    5.5g of Titegroup behind a 250g Keith does about 840fps from a 4" Redhawk for when you want to relax. Works fine in a Magnum case. 5gr of clays makes about 740fps.........Yawn........Time for a nap......
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12